PDA

View Full Version : Car problems.

Dipre
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
So my car has been drinking gallons like soda pops, he was giving me 28 MPG around January/March, then dropped to 22, now he's under 20.

Went to my mechanic, he said it's probably the injectors, went ahead and bought a couple of injector cleaners but he's still guzzling like a college whore, so now my mechanic says the injectors need a "deep cleaning", and handed me an eye-popping budget for what needed to be done, close to telling him off, i came back home frustrated because of my utter inability to get anything car-related fixed by myself, so i ask if anyone knows of some way to clean the injectors without having to pawn off one of my testicles to pay my mechanic.

redsoxrules
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
it might not even be your injectors , in fact I doubt it is
I would check your thermostat first
if your thermostat is fucked it causes your car running a rich mixture of fuel, causeing the mileage to be extremley poor

injectors wouldn't fuck up your gas mileadge as bad as you're saying

also check the intake system

Spudboy
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Assuming that you are not spending substantially more time in traffic or allowing the car to idle for protracted periods, the first thing you should do is check you air filter. A restrictive intake system can cause the car to run "rich" (increased fuel to air ratio). If your air cleaner is soiled excessively, replace it. If not, you may have more significant problems. I doubt clogged injectors is the source but I can't say for sure from here. Are you using the air conditioner more than you had been?

Redsoxrules makes sense. Your car may be running rich. Clogged injectors would not cause this. Most newer cars with injectors have ECUs. Engine Control
Units. These processors monitor (through sensors such as mass air controllers) and adjust the mixture according to conditions. If your engine is running hot, it is possible for the fuel/air mixture to be off. Find another mechanic. Or at least get a second opinion.

You may need an O2 sensor. Or something else. A qualified and honest mechanic should be able to remedy this readily.

yeszir
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm now living carless and couldn't be happier about it

Dipre
06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Assuming that you are not spending substantially more time in traffic or allowing the car to idle for protracted periods, the first thing you should do is check you air filter. A restrictive intake system can cause the car to run "rich" (increased fuel to air ratio). If your air cleaner is soiled excessively, replace it. If not, you may have more significant problems. I doubt clogged injectors is the source but I can't say for sure from here. Are you using the air conditioner more than you had been?

Done.

In fact, on my last visit, i changed oil, changed filters, cleaned the intake valve , optimized tire pressure, aligned and balanced tires, while of course using up a shitload of money.

My thermostast is fine, so the only thing i have left are the injectors, and other people have told me the same thing due to a slight sputter in my engine.

CrespoBlows
06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm now living carless and couldn't be happier about it

This.

Dipre
06-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Over here, no car= living nightmare.

So i better get his ass fixed or i'll be fucked.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
This.
This.

ms_sox
07-10-2009, 05:28 PM
You can't live without a car where I live. Well, you can, but you have to live within walking/biking distance of your job (and school, if a student), which isn't likely to happen. More likely you'll live 20-30 miles away w/no good public transportation route.

BART's good if you live near, but most of us in the Bay Area do not. I hope that changes soon.

Er..yeah, not a car solution, sorry, had to comment. It's tons and tons easier to live w/out a car in some areas than others.

Dipre
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
You can't live without a car where I live. Well, you can, but you have to live within walking/biking distance of your job (and school, if a student), which isn't likely to happen. More likely you'll live 20-30 miles away w/no good public transportation route.

BART's good if you live near, but most of us in the Bay Area do not. I hope that changes soon.

Er..yeah, not a car solution, sorry, had to comment. It's tons and tons easier to live w/out a car in some areas than others.

Indeed.

ORS
07-10-2009, 10:20 PM
What was the recommended repair? Before I was in the Marines and a construction engineer, I spent a year in a Chevy service department.

Spudboy
07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, were the injectors the problem after all?
Fess-up dude!

Dipre
07-11-2009, 04:52 AM
What was the recommended repair? Before I was in the Marines and a construction engineer, I spent a year in a Chevy service department.

Yeah, were the injectors the problem after all?
Fess-up dude!

I was told to clean the injectors indeed.

However, i haven't found out exactly what's wrong with it, so i won't go ahead and spend a buttload of money on something that might not fix the problem.

ORS
07-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Couple of simple but often overlooked things to check:

Tire pressure and fuel cap. If your tires a low, you'll lose fuel efficiency. A leaky cap will cause pressure loss to the fuel system, but in a modern PCM controlled car, you'll typically get a SES light with a leaky cap. If you don't have a SES light or low tires it could be something more significant.

More significant issues:

Most likely, an old cat (catalytic converter) that is causing too much back-pressure on the exhaust system. The intake system needs to work harder to maintain power, thus loss of efficiency. If your cat is OK, you could get a decarbon of the system. Usually about 1.5 labor hours at the standard rate in your area + about $75 in parts (the chemicals are expensive). This will clean not only the injectors (better than the tank added chemicals), but the vaccum lines and whole intake, plus the hemispherical valve seats in the head.

I'd check the first two and then determine if the cat is OK before performing a decarbon. Not an entirely expensive service, but it's money that won't fix the problem if it's the other things.

Dipre
07-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Couple of simple but often overlooked things to check:

Tire pressure and fuel cap. If your tires a low, you'll lose fuel efficiency. A leaky cap will cause pressure loss to the fuel system, but in a modern PCM controlled car, you'll typically get a SES light with a leaky cap. If you don't have a SES light or low tires it could be something more significant.

More significant issues:

Most likely, an old cat (catalytic converter) that is causing too much back-pressure on the exhaust system. The intake system needs to work harder to maintain power, thus loss of efficiency. If your cat is OK, you could get a decarbon of the system. Usually about 1.5 labor hours at the standard rate in your area + about $75 in parts (the chemicals are expensive). This will clean not only the injectors (better than the tank added chemicals), but the vaccum lines and whole intake, plus the hemispherical valve seats in the head.

I'd check the first two and then determine if the cat is OK before performing a decarbon. Not an entirely expensive service, but it's money that won't fix the problem if it's the other things.

I'll translate it, print it out, and take it to my mechanic to see what he thinks.

You don't think it could be anything specifically brand related?

ORS
07-11-2009, 07:17 AM
What kind of car is it?

Dipre
07-11-2009, 07:30 AM
What kind of car is it?

2004 XLE Camry

a700hitter
07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
It sounds like you have spent more money addressing the issue of decreased gas mileage than the cost of the additional gas.

Dipre
07-11-2009, 10:58 AM
It sounds like you have spent more money addressing the issue of decreased gas mileage than the cost of the additional gas.

The actual repairs that were done were badly needed anyway.

But at 5.00 dollars a gallon, if i get back my mileage, i'll get back whatever is spent in no time.

a700hitter
07-11-2009, 11:04 AM
The actual repairs that were done were badly needed anyway.

But at 5.00 dollars a gallon, if i get back my mileage, i'll get back whatever is spent in no time.I have a Camry XLE. I get it serviced at the dealer. I just go along with the service schedule, and they have kept it running very well.

Dipre
07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I have a Camry XLE. I get it serviced at the dealer. I just go along with the service schedule, and they have kept it running very well.

I'm inclined to think it's actually my tires.

I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he tells me that there seems to be nothing wrong with the car.

I forgot to mention we actually "flushed it" (Taking off the crank tap of course) before my last scheduled oil change last week, but checking on the state on my tires, it seems obvious they're due for a change and he concurs.

To be honest, it's a hell of a car, i've had him for more than a year and it's the first headache he's ever given me.

a700hitter
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
To be honest, it's a hell of a car, i've had him for more than a year and it's the first headache he's ever given me.I usually refer to my car as a female, "she" instead of "he."

Dipre
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I usually refer to my car as a female, "she" instead of "he."

Lol a lot of people do that, i know.

He's a dude in my mind (cukoo people who love cars alert)

a700hitter
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Lol a lot of people do that, i know.

He's a dude in my mind (cukoo people who love cars alert)I thought maybe it was a Dominican cultural thing, but I guess it is just personal to you.

Dipre
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought maybe it was a Dominican cultural thing, but I guess it is just personal to you.

Indeed.