PDA

View Full Version : Diving into first

yeszir
04-17-2004, 01:37 PM
It's happened twice in this game alone, and about 6 times all season for the sox. I get scared whenever I see it, and I highly doubt it speeds up the arrival time. Remy mentioned that when Millar went into the bag the act of diving actually slowed him down, but mentioned it was a reflex and that it was tough to correct.

What do you think of this risky, yet exciting thing?

roary
04-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Although it is definitely exciting to see, I dont see the point in it. Maybe it influences the ump's decision, pushing it a little bit more in favor of the player? It also excites the fans. Too me though, it is worth the risk.

Sinix
04-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Well there is obviously a reason to dive...players wouldn't dive to make a catch if they could just run it out (and I'm not talking about balls that might land at their feet if they didn't dive) - diving probably is slightly faster. And consider this - when you run through the bag, your foot needs to touch. But when you dive, you can extend your arm and just touch with that, giving you another foot or two of reach.

TheFens
04-22-2004, 07:44 PM
If it really makes no difference, I kinda like seeing it. It makes it more exciting, y'know?

roary
04-22-2004, 10:23 PM
No question that its exciting. I think the question is though, is it worth the exciting risk? Broken wrists and jammed fingers abound on diving plays. Is that worth it?

And sinix, your avatar is busted. It doesnt show up and it annoys me. :D

yawkeyway
04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Pokey just did it now, trying to beat out a bunt. I now see how pointless it is. Just an injury waiting to happen. Grrr, stop it players!