PDA

View Full Version : April 23rd @ New York

yagmaster
04-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Let's go Derek

yeszir
04-23-2004, 02:48 PM
I read somewhere that Contreras was trying to make an adjustment to his delivery in order to be prepared for the sox. It sounds like the yankees are a little worried with our team coming into town, and they have no confidence in contreras. Not that they should, seeing as he sucks and all, but just an interesting thing to point out.

I say the sox destroy him tonight.

yawkeyway
04-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I can't wait to see the mfy fans and their reaction to the sox. How does losing 3 out of 4 feel? They're just bitter. :P

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 03:03 PM
I'd like to get off to a good start tonight. The Sox have man-handled the "Cuban Conman" in the past and I see no reason for there to be any difference tonight. Lowe needs to pitch much better than last time and prove why he's one of the most consistent pitchers in the league. I dunno why but I expect a breakout series from Millar this weekend. He seems due. Let's sweep the MFY in their house.

BTW- I've read (SoSH) that Vasquez will most likely be starting Sunday. It makes me feel good to see that the MFY are moving him up just to pitch a game in April.

RedSoxRooter
04-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I read about Vaz moving up to face Pedro.

Take it all in guys. When was the last time the Yankees and their fans were this worried this early in the season????

Torre is tinkering with Contraras, he's moving starters around to match up better with OUR pitching! Has that ever happened before?

I don't know, I work off of vibes half the time. My vibe for this weekend isn't so good. Millar is in a terrible funk. Bellhorn can walk, but he's Reese with the bat. The bottom third of the lineup is tanking right now.

Thankfully, the pen is in fine shape and on a hot streak. Tek's getting hot, my man Mueller is coming on. I'm hoping for 2 outa 3, would love a sweep but I doubt that will happen.

I'll miss the chants of "Click, Click, ClickClickClick - You're On Ster-roids! Click, Click, ClickClickClick... "

GO RED SOX!

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Tonight's starting lineups (via SoSH):

BOSTON NY YANKEES

Johnny Damon CF. Bubba Crosby CF
Bill Mueller 3B Derek Jeter SS
David Ortiz 1B Alex Rodriguez 3B
Manny Ramirez LF Jason Giambi 1B
Ellis Burks DH Gary Sheffield RF
Jason Varitek C Hideki Matsui LF
Kevin Millar RF Bernie Williams DH
Mark Bellhorn 2B John Flaherty C
Pokey Reese SS Enrique Wilson 2B

Derek Lowe RHP Jose Contreras RHP

yeszir
04-23-2004, 07:07 PM
After that first 1-2-3 inning, Contreras looks like he's beginning to fall apart.

yagmaster
04-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Wow, Contreras is terrible. He threw 93 pitches without making it out of the 4th inning. Just terrible. Nice job Millar and Bellhorn, both hit SHOTS.

yagmaster
04-23-2004, 07:32 PM
I like what I'm seeing, WAY TO GO MUELLER.

yeszir
04-23-2004, 09:34 PM
The yankees looked plain bad there. Wow. I'm shocked, yet happy at the same time. Contreras sucked the big one and errors/misshaps and bad play was abundant! The sox hammered the "bombers", knocking 'em down a peg or two.

4/5 is not a horrible way to start against your rival at all. Lenny Dinardo was also a pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard anything about that guy and he looks promising. That low arm angle and breaking pitches can be hell for left handed batters, as Matsui proved. I'm interested in seeing both him and Malaska progress.

yawkeyway
04-23-2004, 09:37 PM
ah, that was one of the more satisfying routes I've seen in a long time. I hope we can keep it up. The sox also showed a lot of speed on the basepaths, Burks/Damon/Reese all stole. That made me happy as well. B)

peskypole
04-23-2004, 09:39 PM
what a great games, tons of homeruns, great pitching by derek, terrible play by the mfy. it got fun to watch by the end, especially when shefield missed the ball.

TheFens
04-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Something else that made it enjoyable was that Remy and Orsillo were really on top of their game. I found myself actually laughing at some of their jokes. That doesnt usually happen, so props to them.

As for the game, I cant complain. I liked to see the yankee fans pour out of the aisles though, leaving only the sox fans to stay and cheer. It was like in Oakland last year when half of the stadium was sox fans and they all stayed behind and cheered for almost half an hour. That was awesome. :)

roary
04-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Lowe pitched well tonight. His line, courtesy of yahoo:

D. Lowe (W, 2-1) 6.0 6 2 2 2 2 1 6.75

That HR was the only downside, but he obviously recovered from last week's disaster. This is important, as we need a strong and confident starting rotation to win the division. His ERA went down a good 3 points. :D

yeszir
04-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by TheFens@Apr 23 2004, 10:41 PM
As for the game, I cant complain. I liked to see the yankee fans pour out of the aisles though, leaving only the sox fans to stay and cheer. It was like in Oakland last year when half of the stadium was sox fans and they all stayed behind and cheered for almost half an hour. That was awesome. :)
Oh I know, I don't think I've ever seen yankee stadium so empty. It was awesome! I think the rain contributed to it as well, but we can say it was all in the whomping they got from the sox!

yeszir
04-23-2004, 09:56 PM
:lol: The yankee message boards are freaking out!
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?threadid=61165

I haven't felt this bad about a Yankee team since the 80's. We need pitching, and fast. This offense needs to break out soon or I am going to quit on this team.

And it goes on and on. Seriously, they sound like us! And threatening to give up on a team because they are 8-10 is classic! I stand behind my bandwagon theory!

nomar
04-23-2004, 10:03 PM
It was funny how enrique got the error for causing sheffield to screw up. stupid mfy scorer making bad choices.

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Didn't see the game tonight but I like what I read. Also love all the MFY fans freaking out (NYYfans.com and Netsports). Should be a good game tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

ARod2212
04-23-2004, 10:09 PM
This won't happen tomorrow I assure you. I'll be there watching, and they know when I'm there. Yanks will win it tomorrow. I keep the faith, we'll still win our 100 games and win the east. If they gave out WS titles for April and May Boston would be the most successful franchise in history. Wait until we start hitting.. a force to be reckoned with. B)

yeszir
04-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ARod2212@Apr 23 2004, 11:09 PM
This won't happen tomorrow I assure you. I'll be there watching, and they know when I'm there. Yanks will win it tomorrow. I keep the faith, we'll still win our 100 games and win the east. If they gave out WS titles for April and May Boston would be the most successful franchise in history. Wait until we start hitting.. a force to be reckoned with. B)
Wait until nomar and trot come back. A force to be reckoned with indeed.

But I'm not one to gloat because I know the Red Sox and I know the Yankees. This wont last for long. The sox'll implode and the yankees'll come on strong. It should make for an interesting season though, as the teams are pretty much evenly matched. Just, not in this game. :D

FourZeroSix
04-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Yankee fans booing A-Rod. Balco Chants at Giambi. Leaving after the 5th inning... all Sox fans in the park. LMAO, I love it.

To hear Yankee fans talk about getting Randy Johnson or Zito is just hilarious... how pathetic is that? :lol:

It ain't gonna work. The Sox don't even have Nixon or Nomar! :lol:

The Yankees pitching is so depleted that they are throwing Vazquez up against Pedro on three days rest...can't wait to hear how done P-Mart is when he dominates with an 89 mph fastball. :lol:

RedSoxRooter
04-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by TheFens@Apr 23 2004, 09:41 PM
I liked to see the yankee fans pour out of the aisles though, leaving only the sox fans to stay and cheer.
Typical Yankee fans.

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by dirtdogman5@Apr 23 2004, 03:03 PM
I dunno why but I expect a breakout series from Millar this weekend.
Can you say psychic?

yeszir
04-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by dirtdogman5+Apr 23 2004, 11:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dirtdogman5 @ Apr 23 2004, 11:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dirtdogman5@Apr 23 2004, 03:03 PM
Can you say psychic? [/b][/quote]
What else do you predict Ms. Cleo? I&#39;d like to see Crespo get a hit one and then, what does the future hold for him?

yawkeyway
04-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Bellhorn was making some nice plays over there at third. He also hit that cheap home run. I&#39;m starting to really like him. It almost makes up for the loss of T-walk in my mind.

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by yeszir+Apr 23 2004, 10:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeszir @ Apr 23 2004, 10:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by dirtdogman5@Apr 23 2004, 11:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dirtdogman5@Apr 23 2004, 03:03 PM
Can you say psychic?
What else do you predict Ms. Cleo? I&#39;d like to see Crespo get a hit one and then, what does the future hold for him? [/b][/quote]
The future for Crespo is AAA.

RedSoxRooter
04-24-2004, 06:51 AM
Ahhh.. Salad Days&#33;

How great is it, RSN, to wake up knowing your team just SPANKED 190 Million dollar team. Not only do you get to enjoy the memory of the game, but you get to see and read the highlights on on every Boston paper AND New York paper. My god are they in fear&#33;

What a great day. Only 5 hours till game 2. Somehow the coffee tastes a little bit sweeter this morning.

Noah
04-24-2004, 08:07 AM
That game was beautiful. (From a Met fan)

Congrats Red Sox, you have a new serious follower. ;) (After my Mets, of course)

dirtdogman5
04-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Noah@Apr 24 2004, 08:07 AM
Congrats Red Sox, you have a new serious follower. ;) (After my Mets, of course)
I could never guess by your posts on Netsports. :rolleyes: Anyways, always nice to have a new Nation member.

yeszir
04-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Noah@Apr 24 2004, 09:07 AM
That game was beautiful. (From a Met fan)

wurd, welcome Noah.

And redsoxrooter, my orange juice tastes better, just like your coffee. :D