PDA

View Full Version : C.C. Sabathia

Zenny
05-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I was just thinking about C.C. and how great he's pitching and looked him up on ESPN and www.sports-wired.com. I was amazed at how big he actually is, 6'7", 290 lbs! I knew he was big, but I had no idea that he weighed two Pokeys. The Sox have a lot of questions coming up this off-season, especially in the starting pitching department. This guy is an ace on a rebuilding team and he's also young. Do you think the Sox have a chance to pick him up this off-season? He could be a left-handed Curt Schilling. I was thinking of a package of Hanley Ramirez, Juan Cedeno, a PTBNL and some cash for C.C.

What do you guys think about C.C., his upside or what it would take for the Sox to get him?

yawkeyway
05-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Did you hear this somewhere or was it something that you just thought of as an idea?

The main problem is that he isnt a free agent, and he is relatively cheap (making 2.7 this year), even for the Indians. He's their best pitcher, and they need to rebuild around something. I dont realistically see them giving him up, even if it means getting some of our top prospects. The Indians will be absolutely devastating in 3-4 years, and he's signed through '06 with an option for '07, so I don't see them giving him up.

He is a great pitcher, no doubt about it, and will only continue to improve.

Zenny
05-09-2004, 09:19 PM
This was something off of the top of my head.

I realize that C.C. is a player to build around, but the Indians still need a good deal of time before players like Grady Sizemore, Victor Martinez and Michael Aubrey become the great players they are projected to be. I could see the Indians swinging for a deal like this because they would get an impact shortstop with All-Star potential, a rediculously hard-throwing young lefthander, another player and money to spend.

The Indians also have Cliff Lee, Jason Davis, Jake Westbrook, Francisco Cruceta, Jeremy Guthrie, Jake Dittler, Brian Tallet, Billy Traber and Fausto Carmona to build a rotation around, not to mention a future top-notch closer in Fernando Cabrera. I think they can spare a pitcher of now for another pitcher of tomorrow and a All-Star shortstop with only Jhonny Peralta to plug the gap for the forseeable future.

I like this move for the Red Sox, even if it means giving up Hanley.

Tek04
05-10-2004, 06:48 AM
I could see this happening during the offseason, but I dont think the sox need to change anything pitching wise during the season. (assuming nobody goes on the DL)

yeszir
05-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Who would the sox give up for him though, considering he's signed through '06?

Zenny
05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@May 10 2004, 11:18 AM
Who would the sox give up for him though, considering he's signed through '06?
I was thinking of a Hanley Ramirez, Juan Cedeno, PTBNL and cash package. That's just my idea, but I think it's feasible and also changable. Of course, I have no feedback from the Cleveland organization for them to tell me what they would want, but that's what I would ask for from the Sox.

yawkeyway
05-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I dont see CC as being that great of a pitcher personally. Sure he's only what, 24 or something, but I dont see him improving so much anymore.

In somewhat limited innings, he has a career 4.02 ERA and 480 K's (thats in 622 innings). Decent numbers, especially for a young guy, sure. But nothing amazing.

For comparison:
Kim is 25. (our Kim, our current 5th starter). In 410 innings he has a 3.27 ERA and 423 K's. Much more impressive numbers from a guy of about the same age if you ask me. I think our priority should be developing kim into a top notch pitcher, since he is absolutely capable of being one, not signing C.C Sabathia.

GreenMonsterSeats
05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't think Sabathia is that good to be honest. If we're shopping for a lefty let's go for Zito or Mulder. I know Tim Hudson is a free agent at the end of the year...maybe we will show interest there once the Yankees do :D

yeszir
05-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonsterSeats@May 10 2004, 09:06 PM
I don't think Sabathia is that good to be honest. If we're shopping for a lefty let's go for Zito or Mulder. I know Tim Hudson is a free agent at the end of the year...maybe we will show interest there once the Yankees do :D
But we can't just go after the entire A's team. Money and economical factors are still important. Sabathia might be a better value, comparatively, than Zito in a few years.

Old Hoss
05-12-2004, 01:52 AM
The A's have an option on Tim Hudson for '05 at $6 million which they have already exercised.

And that fat bastard Cup Cake Sabathia can stay right where he is....getting fatter in Cleveland.

TheFens
05-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Old Hoss@May 12 2004, 02:52 AM
And that fat bastard Cup Cake Sabathia can stay right where he is....getting fatter in Cleveland.
Amen! We don't need him, nor do I want him. Cup Cake, haha.

Gertie
05-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Personally, I'd love to have C.C. But I doubt they'd trade him, seeing as he is really young still, and signed for a while. But if Theo found a way, that didn't rape the farm system, then I'd be all for it.