PDA

View Full Version : Abe Alvarez throws a gem today

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Alvarez went 7 IP's allowed only 2 hits, and fanned 6. The game was on minorleaguebaseball.com, I watched a little bit of it, and he really looked sharp. He may help out in the Boston Red Sox pen, soon. He also carried a perfect game through 5 1/3.

Other performances, K-Horn struck out twice in three AB's. He was taken out in the 5th, no word on why. I'm guessing it's because he can't even help Pawtucket win. Youkilis is 2-3 with a HBP, and Petagine hit another HR, his 20th.

redsoxfan2334243
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Alvarez is a great player. I hope the Sox move him up next season

AgentAnni008
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
his 10th win of the season which is tied for most in the whole farm system. abe is not a strike out pitcher yet he is 2nd in k's behind lester who is in AA and his WHIP is freakin great at 1.1...i know a lot of people like the power pitcher but this kid keeps on winning and getting people out.

yankeessuck013
08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
maybe I have been underating alvarez this whole time...I hope he gets another chance with the sox tho...hes only what...22?

riverside sluggers
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
wow damn sounds good, Sox very could well add them for bullpen help for remainder of season, and if Olerud is still hurt since he tweaked his hamstrings, Roberto Petagine would be a nice call up as well.

Abe Alvarez retired the first 16 hitters he faced on Tuesday afternoon. Ultimately he allowed 2 hits in 7 innings, as the PawSox blanked Syracuse 7-0. Tim Bausher finished the job with 2 shutout frames, himself. The SkyChiefs had just 3 baserunners all day. Offensively, Roberto Petagine's 20th home run, a three-run blast, paced the attack for Pawtucket. The same two teams will meet on Wednesday, but in Syracuse.

AgentAnni008
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
wow damn sounds good, Sox very could well add them for bullpen help for remainder of season, and if Olerud is still hurt since he tweaked his hamstrings, Roberto Petagine would be a nice call up as well.
petagine is having a great season in AAA. second in HR's(19) AVG. (.324) and is first in RBI's (66)...it would be nice to get something out of him SOON because he is 34 years old and the clock is ticking.

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
petagine is having a great season in AAA. second in HR's(19) AVG. (.324) and is first in RBI's (66)...it would be nice to get something out of him SOON because he is 34 years old and the clock is ticking.

He's nothing special, he's one of those AAAA players.

riverside sluggers
08-02-2005, 05:06 PM
very interesting news to hear, Tom Caron and Dennis Eckersley have said on NESN that Papelbon has been sent back to Triple A to start him off in a program of the steup role as well as try him in the closer spot, which what he would be doing for rest of 2005 season with the Sox. Tito did say Papelbon could most likely be in the starting rotation in 06

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
very interesting news to hear, Tom Caron and Dennis Eckersley have said on NESN that Papelbon has been sent back to Triple A to start him off in a program of the steup role as well as try him in the closer spot

Not a great idea, I haven't really agreed with some moves Theo made this year. Then again that's why he's a real GM, and that's why I'm still answering my own phone. I think Papelbon would be better suited to stick as a starter, then break in the rotation in Spring Training, if he has to be called up I prefer he do it in the Mike Morgan type of role (5 pitches or 100 pitches). He has closed in the past however, and could do so again. I mean if Curt Schilling can do a good job in the bullpen after ten years in the rotation, then it's likely Papelbon can do so, after only 2 1/2 years away from the pen.

bigpapi349
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
ya papelbon was a closer in college so nothing new for him

riverside sluggers
08-02-2005, 05:26 PM
could give Sox a backup plan in case Foulke still pitches the way he did this season, god forbid that of course

CrespoBlows
08-02-2005, 05:28 PM
ya papelbon was a closer in college so nothing new for him

The role isn't different, but the competition is much harder. I don't expect Papelbon to close this year, though he probably could, Schilling will remain the man.

I mean could you really see Jon Papelbon, who's thrown 5.1 innings in his career, to close in the postseason? I think a schziophrenic on crack would be much more reliable.

AgentAnni008
08-02-2005, 05:35 PM
wasnt kent tekulve a schzio on crack?...i agree, i dont trust any of the young call ups to handle pressure situations. it would be nice to see them play through the season and not just be thrown into a role.

riverside sluggers
08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
i didnt say postseason at all, they might try him out in regular season games for 05--but so far I wouldnt expect him to make the roster for the October playoffs in the closer role

ksushi
08-02-2005, 06:07 PM
the two young kids delcarmen and papelbon will be on the playoff roster, i guarentee it.