PDA

View Full Version : Hi there - opinions sought :)

WaltDroposGoddaughter
08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this post . . I'm hoping I could maybe get an opinion on an item I have listed for auction on Ebay. Despite my user name (for you youngsters out there, Walt Dropo played for Boston and was AL ROY in 1950) I don't know much about baseball - or what diehard fans consider collectible and what they consider just . . .obscure. Anyway, Walt was my grandfather's best friend - and also First Selectman of Plainfield, CT (where Moosup, Walt's home town is). Their friendship and Walt's love for the community he grew up in led to a benefit game being played there after the season Walt was named ROY. On October 145, 1950 the "Connecticut All-Stars" (whoever they were- I have the roster, but don't recognize any names) played Birdie Tebbets' All-Stars. Birdie would get together a bunch of guys post-season and go 'barnstorming' around New England to raise money for charity. The team members weren't all Red Sox: this particular year, Snuffy Stirnweiss Jim Hegan and Bob Kennedy - all Cleveland Browns - played on the team with Birdie; Walt; Johnny Pesky and Maury McDermott. Birdie also brought along Phil Rizzuto for good measure.

So. I've had one copy of that day's game program all my life - protected by glass and acid-free paper. But when I went through my grandmother's things, I found one more that she had kept in a scrapbook. My first thought was that it was so obscure that no one would be interested in it - and then someone told me that *because* it's so obscure, probably lots of people would be interested in it . . So I put it up for auction - (Item #5226058611 if anyone wants to take a look) but hardly anyone has even hit the page, never mind bid on the thing. I know I have it in the right categories and the keywords are good . . .I went "all-out" when I listed it - bought about $50 worth of "extras" (bold type, a border, etc.) to make the listing stand out - so if the consensus of opinion is that it's only worth the paper it's printed on, I'd rather just cancel the auction and keep it.

Thoughts? :dunno:

CalvnHobs6
08-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Keep it. Only certain people are interested in that sort of thing, and because it may have sentimental value to you, it'll be worth more having that then the few dollars you'll get for it.

yeszir
08-03-2005, 11:21 PM
The extremely little monetary value it has pales in comparison to whatever sentimental value it has. Keep it. I could have just quoted Calvnhobs.

MC Hammer
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Well guys he said he has 2 of them, so selling one would make sense. Because of the type of item this is it may take some time to get bids on it. Just leave it up as long as possible and keep your fingers crossed.