PDA

View Full Version : First Redsox game

Benny9Sox7
04-03-2004, 03:39 PM
What was your first sox game like? and how did u feel about the stadium?

I dont remember who the sox played, who hit a homerun or who won..... all i remember is wen i first saw the "Monstah", my dad told me my jaw dropped and i jus stood there dumbfounded, he had to pick me up and carry me to my seat and i didnt say a word until the 8th inning bcuz the whol game i was stairing at the green monster cuz i remembered how great my brother said it looked

Sinix
04-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Heh...I can't really say I remember (it was a while ago), but the best (some could say worst) Sox game I went to was Mussina's 1 hitter...9th inning, 2 outs, and Crazy Carl has to go and ruin a perfect game! As much as I hate the Yanks, I think seeing a perfect game would be worth it.

Benny9Sox7
04-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Sinix@Apr 3 2004, 04:49 PM
Heh...I can't really say I remember (it was a while ago), but the best (some could say worst) Sox game I went to was Mussina's 1 hitter...9th inning, 2 outs, and Crazy Carl has to go and ruin a perfect game! As much as I hate the Yanks, I think seeing a perfect game would be worth it.
i agree with u on that... even though it would b against the redsox and someone on the yankees doin it i still woulda been pissed at everett cuz cmon how often do u see a perfect game

cedarites
04-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I remember watching that game and was thrilled when Everett got that hit, because remember at that point the Sox still had a slight chance to win the AL East, and they were only down 1-0 at that point, so they still had a chance to win. And even if the game had not been close and had had no meaning, I still wouldn't want to see the guy the Sox had tried to get in the prior offseason pitch a perfect game at Fenway. It would have been the ultimate stomach punch.

joyofsox
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
My first game was August 22, 1976. It was Yaz's 37th birthday. He went 4-5, but the Sox lost to Oakland 7-6 in 11 innings.

I went to one game in 1977 (which I don't remember, but I know they lost).

I went to Game 3 of the Massacre in 1978 -- the Guidry 2-hitter (both hits came in the first inning). MFY won 7-0.

For all 3 games, I rode with my father in a bus from northern Vermont. 5 hours down, a loss and 5 hours back. ... Jeez.

I *have* seen them win since then!!

yeszir
04-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by joyofsox@Apr 3 2004, 06:07 PM
I *have* seen them win since then!!
Good, I was about to tell you to never go to any sox games again. :P

soxin04
04-04-2004, 10:59 AM
my first game was about ten years ago (im only 16) against the brewers. I dont remember much about it but my favorite game i ever went to was the home opener when Big Mo hit a walk off grand slam against the mariners. :D

Tek04
04-04-2004, 11:32 AM
My first and only game ive been too was around 96-97 ( i think) and they were playing the devil rays and troy o'leary hit a rope down the first base line to win it for the sox in the 9th :)

dirtdogman5
04-04-2004, 11:34 AM
My first Sox game was right after the ASG in '99. It was an interleague matchup between the Red Sox and Phillies. Brian Rose started for the Sox. I don't remember who won or lost, I just remember both teams started with a leadoff homerun (Glanville for the Phils and Awful-man for the Sox). I was pretty much in awe.

FrankfromCT
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
firsts:

in 1975 toting my oldest son on my shoulders i walk into the ticket office on opening day and ask if they have any tickets. while the agent's first response looked like he was going say areyou kidding? he did a quick change and said 'someone just turned in these 2 box seats' - so i bought them for about a total of $20. they were in the first row next to the 3rd base dugout! i took a great picture that day of a big Yaz swing - in the picture- fred Lynn is on deck and thurman munson is catching. you can see it here: http://yazatbat75.homestead.com/index.html

my first ever game was the year before - with the sox leading something like 7-2 in the 6th my friends (long time sox fans) began moaning and groaning - i said what are you worried about? 'Little' did i know then that i wouldl i have to suffer like them over the next 3 decades ('86 WS, '04playoffs etc).

flash forward to 1995- taking another son to his first game - i was heading to the 'call' window for bleacher tickets' with my 5 year old in tow when a stranger tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I wanted two tickets - i said i had two - he said his were better and gve me 2 roof seats - looking straight down over home plate - watched Roger have a meltdown - 2 balks, 2 wps and a throwing error as the sox lost to the twins

yeszir
04-04-2004, 12:44 PM
That first story is awesome Frank. That must be an awesome picture to have in a collection, Yaz/Lynn/Munson in one picture!

kenmoresq
04-04-2004, 12:46 PM
My first game was in 1985 against the Orioles. The Sox won 6-1 I think and Bruce Hurst pitched.

yeszir
04-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kenmoresq@Apr 4 2004, 01:46 PM
My first game was in 1985 against the Orioles. The Sox won 6-1 I think and Bruce Hurst pitched.
Hey! Kenmoresq! Welcome!

kenmoresq
04-04-2004, 12:57 PM
What's up man. Saw a link to this place in your sig over at the other site so I decided to join up.

dirtdogman5
04-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by kenmoresq@Apr 4 2004, 12:57 PM
What's up man. Saw a link to this place in your sig over at the other site so I decided to join up.
Hey kenmoresq!

Sinix
04-04-2004, 01:31 PM
I remember the first time (I don't remember the game) thinking that Fenway was huge...

Now I'm 6'4", 200lbs. The seats are friggin tiny!

FourZeroSix
04-04-2004, 01:32 PM
First Sox game at Fenway was in April of 1991. Rocket pitched a 3-hit shutout against the Tribe. Like Benny, I was pretty much in awe of the Monster.. I'd seen it on TV, but nothing like it being right in front of you.

yeszir
04-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Supposedly I went to a couple of games in '92, but I don't remember them. The first one that I remember going to was in '95, the day Mantle died. The flag was at half mast and they made an announcement, everyone looked sad. I remember sitting in the left field grandstand, pretty close to the wall.