PDA

View Full Version : June 8th vs. San Diego

yawkeyway
06-07-2004, 09:05 PM
When the Red Sox open their 18-game Interleague slate Tuesday night at Fenway Park, there will be a familiar opposition in their path.

Sure, they've only faced the Padres three times in their history, taking two out of three in San Diego in 2002. But the Sox have gone against David "The Boomer" Wells a lot more than that.

Sox ace Pedro Martinez, who draws the assignment for the Sox, couldn't help but laugh when a media member approached him about the matchup against Wells.

"Aren't you tired of that? I've faced David Wells like 30 times already in my career. It's a tired old matchup," quipped Martinez.

Then Martinez humorously referred to himself and Wells as "two old goats".

Wells has had more downs than ups in his career against the Sox, going 14-20 with a 4.96 ERA.

However, his last start against the Sox was huge. In Game 5 of last October's American League Championship Series, Wells downed the Sox, 3-1, staking his team to a 3-2 edge in a series the Yankees won in an epic Game 7.

Martinez has etched his own memories against the Padres over the years. Two years ago, he fired eight innings of two-hit ball at San Diego, striking out 11 in a dominant display of pitching.

One of the best games of Martinez's career occurred against the Padres. On June 3, 1995, he pitched nine perfect innings. The only problem was that the game was scoreless after nine. Martinez lost his perfecto and no-hitter in the 10th, but lifted his former team -- the Expos -- to a 1-0 win.

As for more current events, Martinez is trying to recover from his last start, when he gave up 10 hits and seven runs in a no-decision against the Angels.

The Sox are gearing up for some stiff competition from the NL West. After a three-game set with the Padres, the Sox host the Dodgers, and then visit the Rockies and Giants next week.

"The NL West it's a scary division," said Sox center fielder Johnny Damon. "All those teams have great players and dominating players that can frustrate pitching staffs."

Seeing Nomar back (if he does indeed play) will be great. :D Can't wait for this game. And I figured I'd start this a bit early so we can get a good discussion going.

yagmaster
06-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah Nomar coming back would be a great boost to the club. If yesterday's win against the Royal, with all its excitement, isn't enough to get the team rolling again, hopefully Nomar can be a shot in the arm for the team. I predict a reasonably easy victory for the Sox, maybe 6 - 2.

peskypole
06-07-2004, 09:28 PM
I hope the Sox can continue their domination of David Wells. I just love beating his fat @ss.

JMDurron
06-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Let's be careful in our assumptions about Nomar's performance upon returning. He hasn't seen big-league pitching (or David Wells) in a very long time.

yeszir
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jun 7 2004, 10:36 PM
Let's be careful in our assumptions about Nomar's performance upon returning. He hasn't seen big-league pitching (or David Wells) in a very long time.
But remember what he did in his last first game back? :huh: I doubt he'll do it again, but we have every right to be excited over Nomar's return, dont we? He's one of the best players in baseball, and he'll help the team out a ton.

yawkeyway
06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Since I'm the official talksox weather man now (right yankshater? :P), heres a weather update:

There's a severe weather alert for tomorrow, with the warmest weather since 2002 expected (mid 90's about). Not pleasant for a baseball game I guess. I'd come in with the doppler, but theres no rain, so it makes no difference I guess.

Err, they just changed it. Uper 80's for this game, and mid 90's for wednesday. Crazy! Mid 90s! I can't take the heat.

JMDurron
06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Jun 7 2004, 09:38 PM

But remember what he did in his last first game back? :huh: I doubt he'll do it again, but we have every right to be excited over Nomar's return, dont we? He's one of the best players in baseball, and he'll help the team out a ton.
I am in no way implying that we should not be excited about Nomar's return, I'm just trying to encourage everybody to temper their immediate expecations a bit with a couple of goals in mind.

1) After so long without seeing big-league pitching, if he goes 0-for-4, to limit the letdown

2) If Nomar kicks some Padre booty, it'll be that much more enjoyable if it's a welcome return AND a pleasant surprise.

GreenMonsterSeats
06-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Wells has pitched poorly this season, Nomar may be back, and Pedro is coming off a rough outing with some fire in his belly...all some factors that I think will play into the home town team today. The Red Sox will destroy that sh*t bum Wells...

I just hope that the Red Sox don't struggle again with the rest of the interleague schedule or it could be a rough June.

TennesseeSoxFan
06-08-2004, 07:48 AM
I thought I saw that Nomar was playing one more game in pawtucket, and then joining the big team on Thursday. Maybe he's waiting for an easier pitcher. :unsure:

YanksHater213
06-08-2004, 01:43 PM
now is a great time for nomar to come back. he is batting something like .368 in June and would get a good start vs the worlds 2nd fattest pitcher (2nd to CC)

roary
06-08-2004, 03:38 PM
He's not coming back today, he's down in AAA still. But we can still hoepfully beat up on Wells. :D

yagmaster
06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm glad Nomar is taking it slow. I don't think that they'd want to risk another injury.

RedSoxNut04
06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I am really looking foward to interleague play.

Go Red Sox.

One question:
The games against the Rockies, are we in Boston or Colorado.

TheFens
06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
The schedule says at colorado. And I, too, look forward to interleague action.

Tek04
06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Go sox, keep up the winning ways :)

JMDurron
06-08-2004, 05:01 PM
If this is the year, we must not suck at Interleague play. Playing .500 ball won't cut it either, the way the Yankees have been slugging lately. This time of year always seems to be when the Sox falter, if this is the year, then it must be different this time around.

YanksHater213
06-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jun 8 2004, 05:01 PM
If this is the year, we must not suck at Interleague play. Playing .500 ball won't cut it either, the way the Yankees have been slugging lately. This time of year always seems to be when the Sox falter, if this is the year, then it must be different this time around.
amen!

JMDurron
06-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Manny and Varitek both letting us down...how often does that happen? Nice hitting by Ortiz, and I guess somebody beamed Bellhorn to 1st ahead of him (since, you know, he can't hit and only strikes out B) ).

RedSoxRooter
06-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jun 8 2004, 06:30 PM
Manny and Varitek both letting us down...how often does that happen? Nice hitting by Ortiz, and I guess somebody beamed Bellhorn to 1st ahead of him (since, you know, he can't hit and only strikes out B) ).
If the first baseman made his play, Bellhorn would have been nothing more than a loud out. :P

yeszir
06-08-2004, 06:39 PM
But Pedro looks fine right now. The weather certainly helps. I think we should stop worrying so much about him. Anyone know what his fastball is at mph-wise?

RedSoxRooter
06-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I've heard them say 92 a couple of times, but I see it going 93 later one.

yawkeyway
06-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Jun 8 2004, 08:05 PM
I've heard them say 92 a couple of times, but I see it going 93 later one.
Ahah! See, he can still get it up there in the low-mid 90s! Lets not freak out now....

JMDurron
06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter+Jun 8 2004, 06:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RedSoxRooter @ Jun 8 2004, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JMDurron@Jun 8 2004, 06:30 PM
Manny and Varitek both letting us down...how often does that happen? Nice hitting by Ortiz, and I guess somebody beamed Bellhorn to 1st ahead of him (since, you know, he can&#39;t hit and only strikes out B) ).
If the first baseman made his play, Bellhorn would have been nothing more than a loud out. :P [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ll have to take your word for it, since I&#39;m just watching on MLB Gameday.

RedSoxRooter
06-08-2004, 07:14 PM
See? Reese just saved Pedro some pitches. Bellhorn actually got to one too&#33;

YanksHater213
06-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Yankees up 2-1 in the Top 7th

SickBoy
06-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Red Sox win&#33;

Good pitching by Wells, Better by Pedro.

Great to see Pedro pitch eight scoreless innings. And it&#39;s good that the pitching picked up for the cold bats tonight. If they can win the close games, they will end up with a very impressive record.

yeszir
06-08-2004, 09:01 PM
By far the best pitched game of the season for Pedro and the team. A tight, exciting win like this is just what the team needs to get back on its feet.

Tek04
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
pedro was lights out tonight, thats verrrry good to see&#33; nice win too&#33;