PDA

View Full Version : Theo on WEEI

FourZeroSix
04-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Theo was talking on WEEI, and he has some encouraging news.

Previously posted on SoSH..

Trot is ahead of schedule and feeling great. The program they have him on in Miami will not only fix this recent injury, it will also help to prevent him from re-injuring his back in the future. He will begin baseball activities in 10-14 days, if not sooner.

Mueller's arm is back to 100%. He's made some good throws so far today.

Nomar has begun to respond to treatment. He will continue to rest.

Pedro feels strong and is great, and Theo saw Pedro throw on the side a couple of days ago and he had the best fastball he's had all spring. Theo said he's not worried about Pedro or his health one bit.

BH Kim is throwing the ball better than he ever has a Red Sox. His velocity is better than it's ever been. He threw with Pedro the other day, and it was the first time he'd pitched in 3 weeks.

Other starting pitchers look great...Wakefield, Lowe, and Schilling all look great.

The players are tired of Spring Training...they were ready for the season to start about 10 days ago.

Crespo has been the biggest suprise of Spring Training. He's running and throwing better than he has in the past, and it looks like he's played his way onto the big club.

Mendoza has a lot to prove this year, and he will be given the opportunity to be the long man. His sinker has looked good so far. Last year was a mystery.

Bellhorn, Crespo, and Reese will all make the team. (As he was saying this, Bellhorn just almost jacked one...would have been a HR in Baltimore, according to Theo).

11 pitchers will be carried on the roster...decision made easier by having Schilling and Lowe on the roster, who can both go deep into games.

Talking about improved defense now...thinks defense has gone from a weakness to a strength.

Not worried about Foulke's struggles this far...he isn't in midseason form yet. As long as Foulke's fastballs look good, Foulke will be effective. Foulke is healthy but his mechanics haven't been perfect thus far. Working on getting his arm slot correct.

Giving props to the scouting director...Theo is really happy with last year's draft. (Foulke just gave up a HR to Marcus Giles, Braves lead 1-0...Foulke had been ahead 0-2, but Giles worked the count to 3-2). Theo saying Foulke's velocity is ok, but the mechanics aren't perfect which is messing up his location. (Chipper Jones just got a hit). (Foulke done for the day now...he gave up 2 hits...he was on a strict pitch count)

Lenny Dinardo pitching now. Theo says he's a command, control pitcher. Has a fastball with lots of late movement. He's been a starter his whole career, but the Sox see him as a long-relief pitcher. Sox are impressed with Dinardo's makeup, and they think he is going to be in the Sox's plans this year. (Andrew Jones just hit a double off of him...2-0 Braves...both ERs charged to Foulke).

Talking about Baltimore offense now...Tejada is swinging the bat great right now. Sox know the AL East race is more than just two teams. Theo thinks AL East is the toughest/best division in baseball.

McCarty has had a great spring...it sounds like he's made the team.

Daubauch as swung the bat well this spring, but had bad luck.

yeszir
04-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Thats all well and good, but Theo saying that the defense is now a strength? Cmon. It may be improved, but it will need to improve a LOT more to be considered a "strength".

FourZeroSix
04-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm just happy to hear about what he says about Trot and Pedro. If it coming from Theo.. and this was posted on SoSH, I'd say it's legit. Although I agree with you about the defense being a "strength".

youkilis rules
04-04-2004, 12:57 AM
i agree with yeszir, how the hell is the single addition of twalk to reese make it a strength? we're also LOSING nomar and trot for a period of time. noooo dice. otherwise everything else sounds GREAT.

an idea...did Tito consider the following: putting kapler at 3b, mueller at 2b or ss and reese at the other, and mccarty in right? it takes the bat out of bellhorn's hands and only slightly fucks up the D

Benny9Sox7
04-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by youkilis rules@Apr 4 2004, 12:57 AM
i agree with yeszir, how the hell is the single addition of twalk to reese make it a strength? we're also LOSING nomar and trot for a period of time. noooo dice. otherwise everything else sounds GREAT.

an idea...did Tito consider the following: putting kapler at 3b, mueller at 2b or ss and reese at the other, and mccarty in right? it takes the bat out of bellhorn's hands and only slightly fucks up the D
i like that, only because mccarty is swinging a hott bat coming out of spring training

dirtdogman5
04-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by youkilis rules@Apr 4 2004, 12:57 AM

The only problem with that is Kapler still isn't too experienced over at 3B, which is one the toughest position to play besides catcher. That also puts Mueller in a position where he hasn't had a lot of playing time. And of course your taking away from Bellhorn, whom you've never seen in a game that matters. Foulke's been struggling so do we automatically use him as a little used long reliever? No we have to see him in a real game before we poo poo them.

yeszir
04-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Bellhorn hit .230 last year in 48 games. The last time he played anywhere near a full season was 2002 in which he hit .258 in 146 games (but he had 144 strikeouts).

I dont like the idea of putting him in for a whole month straight to fill in for injuries, so I would be up for something that limits his batting time. The other options arent' so great either, but I think they beat him out in terms of hitting.

But completely reorganizing the infield and moving players to positions they arent accustomed to seems somewhat drastic. I think Terry will need to see how things work out in the first week before making changes.

roary
04-04-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm the most excited to see if McCarty can keep it up. Although I doubt he will, it still would be a great thing.

JethroTull
04-04-2004, 12:47 PM
What Theo didn't say, but is equally important to the defense is that with the addition of Schilling, Boston has four starters that will likely wind up in the top ten in strikeouts by the end of the season. Less balls in play, coupled with Reese patrolling the infield, a healthy Varitek and Damon, and a full season of Wakefield in the rotation are all pieces to the defensive improvement. Nixon's return is vital. You can juggle for a month, but right field in Fenway is too demanding for subs on a regular basis.

FourZeroSix
04-04-2004, 01:44 PM
True.

On the Strikeouts: The Sox may just be able to give the Cubs a run for their money as far as Team Strikeouts are concerned with Prior out for a month. They are already at a disadvantage pitching in the AL, but with the way Schilling can mow them down, who knows?

yeszir
04-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by FourZeroSix@Apr 4 2004, 02:44 PM
True.

On the Strikeouts: The Sox may just be able to give the Cubs a run for their money as far as Team Strikeouts are concerned with Prior out for a month. They are already at a disadvantage pitching in the AL, but with the way Schilling can mow them down, who knows?
I'm willing to bet that Pedro's strikeout numbers are going to go down. Since, as we all know, he has NO SPEED AT ALL (sarcasm) anymore, he'll rely more on the fielders to get outs. But then again, I could be wrong.

I do think, however, that the sox will lead the AL in strikeouts, just I doubt they'll be able to compete with the cubs and wood, prior, clemente, maddux pitching against other pitchers 1/9 times.

FourZeroSix
04-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 5 2004, 10:48 PM

I'm willing to bet that Pedro's strikeout numbers are going to go down. Since, as we all know, he has NO SPEED AT ALL (sarcasm) anymore, he'll rely more on the fielders to get outs. But then again, I could be wrong.

I do think, however, that the sox will lead the AL in strikeouts, just I doubt they'll be able to compete with the cubs and wood, prior, clemente, maddux pitching against other pitchers 1/9 times.

I think Pedro can still K 200+ this season.

CalvnHobs6
04-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by FourZeroSix@Apr 6 2004, 01:41 AM
I think Pedro can still K 200+ this season.
Well, yeah, if he stays healthy.

Gertie
04-06-2004, 04:49 PM
i agree that pedro's K numbers will go down, but he should probably still be near the top of the league