PDA

View Full Version : Hello

vaman61
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
I been Red Sox fan since 1975. Although I grew up in Southwestern Connecticut (Yankee territory) my father was / is a huge Red Sox fan so of course I became one too. I am 42 years old. The first team I remember had Rice, Lynn and Evans in the OF. Incredible. You never forget your first love, or your first team. Actually, Red Sox games weren’t televised in that part of New England then so I had to make do with watching them when they played New York. My other team was the Mets , who were televised more frequently. I’ve been to Fenway only once - in 78 or 79. But I have followed the team most of the time since those days. Since the 1978 season, I was never quite the same: twitching, Tourette’s syndrome and recurring headaches, especially during Yankee / Red Sox match-ups. I don’t hate anything, but I loathe the Yankees.

RedSoxRooter
06-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Hello vaman61. Welcome to the site.

I'm originally from southern CT too but more to the eastern side so the Boston/NY fanbase was slightly leaning towards the Red Sox. I remember the TV 38 broadcasts were on Channel 6 on the tv when I started watching in '82. Talk about never forgetting your first team - my favorite player at the time (I was 9) was good ol' #11 - Dave Stapleton. I actually remember being all excited one night because Jean Stapleton was going to host the Muppet show and I thought it was Dave's mom! Ahh, those were the days.

Welcome again to the site.

vaman61
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey that's funny about Dave / Jean Stapleton. We used to TRY to get Ch 38 (was that Hartford?) on our TV but we never really got good reception. Now I try to get Red Sox games on the radio on WTIC Hartford but the reception is not very good - I live south of Washington DC now. The internet and ESPN helps a lot.