PDA

View Full Version : Bronson Arroyo vs. Byung-Hyun Kim

CalvnHobs6
04-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Okay, we all know that Kim is not quite the man to go to under pressure. Enough said. He is not someone to put in the bullpen. However, he is a very good starter and should do well in that position.
Bronson Arroyo, on the other hand, is great in the bullpen, and also appears to be a good starter (hasn't really started enough games yet to make a thorough assessment).
Bronson Arroyo is being paid nearly league minimum if I'm not mistaken, and Kim is getting about 5million a year (correct me if I'm wrong). Bronson has the chance to prove himself, while Kim is on the DL.
My question is this: Who will Francona give the spot to, or better, who deserves the spot? What should we do with Kim if Arroyo takes the spot?

I personally would rather have Bronson Arroyo, but also I'm really unhappy with how payroll works. I think Arroyo is better, and is being paid a fraction of what Kim is getting. My biggest concern is that if we were to want to unload Kim, would anyone take him?

I'd be interested to hear you all's opinions.

dirtdogman5
04-04-2004, 02:49 PM
The job is Kim's unless he falters or Arroyo is awesome while Kim's on the DL. Personally, I'm not sure who'd I want in the 5th slot in the rotation. I haven't seen Arroyo in a starter's role in anything other than Spring Training, so we'll have to see how he does there. Kim did pretty well as a starter last year and I'm hoping he can do a little better. All I ask out of our number 5 guy is mediocre number. 12-10 with a 4.00 ERA is fine with me.

soxin04
04-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Arroyo will be a great starter within the next couple of years and I think he will perform well enough to retain the 5th spot while Kim is on the DL. 15-6 3.4 era

FourZeroSix
04-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I can't see sticking a guy that makes 5 million dollars in the bullpen for relief work. Kim should start... but the bottom line comes down to winning games, and if he's underperforming when he returns, by all means, put in Arroyo.

yagmaster
04-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Arroyo will be a great starter within the next couple of years and I think he will perform well enough to retain the 5th spot while Kim is on the DL. 15-6 3.4 era

I think these expectations of Arroyo might be a little high, however, i do agree he has the stuff to be a big league pitcher. i also think that kim defnitely has the ability to be an excelent starter, so it all comes down to who does the best in the starts they make

CalvnHobs6
04-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Wait, were those Kim's predictions or Arroyo's. I'd actually say that's reasonable for either.

yeszir
04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Expecting a 15-6 season from a number 5 starter is definitely a stretch, but both of these guys could do it, the question is: will they do it? I can definitely see kim winning 15, if not this season maybe in an upcoming one.

CalvnHobs6
04-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 4 2004, 03:20 PM
the question is: will they do it?
I don't see why not. With the ridiculous offense behind them, they could give up four to five runs per start and still win.

yeszir
04-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CalvnHobs6+Apr 4 2004, 04:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CalvnHobs6 @ Apr 4 2004, 04:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-yeszir@Apr 4 2004, 03:20 PM
the question is: will they do it?
I don&#39;t see why not. With the ridiculous offense behind them, they could give up four to five runs per start and still win. [/b][/quote]
Dont talk like that&#33; :angry: They can ONLY give up 2 runs or else they suck.

Sinix
04-04-2004, 06:03 PM
I&#39;d say 13-7 is really the most you can ask out of a #5 starter...15 wins is even a stretch for Wake. BK should pitch a lot better this year though, as soon as he gets healthy (which won&#39;t be long). Arroyo would be good as a long reliever for those tough outings for the SP. He still hasn&#39;t pitched much, so hopefully he&#39;ll develop well this year.

roary
04-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I dont really see the attraction of Bronson. Wasnt he DROPPED by pittsburgh? I personally see BK as a much better candidate for the 5th spot. But i guess we&#39;ll just have to wait and see.

CalvnHobs6
04-05-2004, 10:23 PM
I like both. But if we can get out of Bronson the same we get out of Kim, I say go with Bronson. Once again, simply because of money. We could trade Kim. A lot of teams would love to have him.

Gertie
04-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I&#39;m sure Theo wouldn&#39;t have a problem finding a taker for BK. Remember, he is only 25 or something, and he has shown flashes of brilliance before. I&#39;d like to have him in the 5 spot, IF he can get his head back on straight. But I&#39;d definitely like to see what Bronson can do over a full season. And Roary, it doesn&#39;t matter if he was dropped. Remember, the Sox tried to drop Manny over the offseason as well (albiet under very different circumstances...).

yeszir
04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
I&#39;d MUCH rather have BK than Bronson. BK has proved that he is and will be excellent as a starter.

Bronson on the other hand has shown signs of decency, but has yet to really have a chance to show his stuff. BK&#39;s head is in the game, his image is marred by the World Series meltdowns he had in 2001. People just need to realize that he WILL excel as a starter eventually. I still say he was justified in flipping everyone off. :)

Tek04
04-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Id take Bronson becauses hes had some experience in the majors and didnt do bad at all...BK scares me way to much on the mound :(

yeszir
04-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tek04@Apr 6 2004, 08:47 PM
Id take Bronson becauses hes had some experience in the majors and didnt do bad at all...BK scares me way to much on the mound :(
Why does Kim scare you?

He has a 3.24 career ERA and a 1.16 WHIP, damn decent if you ask me. The main problem with him, looking at his stats, is that his performance sucks when there are runners in scoring position, which he often had as a closer.

In Fenway part he has 36 strikeouts in 39 innings with a mid 3 ERA. Thats GREAT from a 5th starter. His k/9 innings alone is enough to show you that he has potential.

Plus the fact that he&#39;s 25 and has already shown such promise is encouraging to me. Bronson on the other hand has pitched 204 innings with a 5.15 ERA, compared to Kim&#39;s 402 with a 3.24 ERA. He has twice the experience, and almost twice the performance ERA wise.

Did Bronson pitch well last year? Sure he did, but in 6 games. 6 games is hardly enough to judge someone. I&#39;d like to see him come out of the bullpen a little bit more to see if he can permanently be a starter, but for now I want kim. (But he&#39;s on the DL right now, so it&#39;ll be Bronson for a while). We&#39;ll see how he does though, I&#39;m certainly not upset with Bronson pitching.

Tek04
04-07-2004, 09:38 AM
If hes not throwing strikes that night..then watch out...he&#39;ll start hitting every guy on the other team

the next gm
04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
several of you have mentioned that kim is no good under pressure and that is a fairly good assement at least to date of kim. now when you are on a team that will be dissappointed with anything less than a world series there is added pressure on everyone. yes even the 5th starter. as the 5th starter you are expected to win just like everyone else. talent wise kim may be better but i say give brunson the nod. then we can ship kim off to a team with less expectations and he will most likely succeed. i say the perfect fit is to send him to texas for soriano. they need young affordable pitching and we could use some infield power with nomar hurt and possibly gone next year. and just think of the look on george&#39;s face if we get soriano.

yeszir
04-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Arod was traded for soriano. If we trade kim for soriano, isnt that like trading kim for arod? Sounds like an unlikely deal to me. Texas won&#39;t trade soriano, and if they do, it will take a lot more than kim.

the next gm
04-08-2004, 12:23 PM
yes a-rod was trades for soriano but that was a payroll move. their have been several swirling rumors about texas trying to turn soriano into pitching. maybe we have to throw in a class 2a pitching prospect on top of kim but from what i hear it wouldnt be much more than that... assuming hicks will still deal with boston.

Gertie
04-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I would trade BK + for Soriano in a second. I&#39;m sure the Rangers want to deal him, cuz he isn&#39;t exactly cheap either, and they&#39;d probably take young pitching happily.

yeszir
04-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Gertie@Apr 9 2004, 06:49 PM
I would trade BK + for Soriano in a second. I&#39;m sure the Rangers want to deal him, cuz he isn&#39;t exactly cheap either, and they&#39;d probably take young pitching happily.
Soriano: &#036;5.4 million in 2004 (http://rangers.siegler.net/roster/soriano.html)
Kim: &#036;3.5 million in 2004 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6237)

Kim isnt exactly cheap either, and Soriano isnt exactly being paid his weight in gold. (actually, maybe he is, but he isnt being paid a lot for the kind of player he is)