PDA

View Full Version : Pokey Should Be Benched

CrespoBlows
07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
He can't hit anything to save his life.

yagmaster
07-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd say bring him down to AAA to boost his confidence. He probably has in his mind that he can't hit major league pitching and that's part of his...er...slump. He is also the most overrated player in Red Sox history.

noonanberg
07-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Trade him (Pokey) and keep Nomar. All that a good majority of Sox fans' have done is bash Nomar. 1st for his injury and then when he returned for his poor play. Instead of being logical and realizing he might need some time to re- adjust, Sox fans attacked Nomar and said he wasn't trying. Now, since the Braves series he's been almost as hot as Johnny Damon, yet he is still in every trade rumor. Maybe we won't be able to sign Nomar when his contract is up and miss out on possibly getting something decent in return. However, without Nomar there is a big whole in the top of our lineup and although it may be overcome, the loss of Nomar's production will put more pressure on the pitching staff. So let's lay off Nomar, keep Nomar and hope that it will pay off with a World Series ring.

Zenny
07-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey, people are finally beginning to realize that Pokey sucks! Yay!

RedSoxRooter
07-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Pokey has the best defense on the team. Maybe he wouldn't be my first choice as second baseman, but the odds of him making 2 errors in one inning leading to 6 un-earned runs are slim.

Isn't anybody else scared to high hell that this team WILL make the playoffs and lose in the playoffs on an error? I'm telling ya, I can see it right now. We need to keep some D in the lineup, even if we score 10 runs a game.

RedSoxRooter
07-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Let me also point out this: What is the problem with the Sox, why are they not in first place?

Is it the offense?
No, the offense has been up and down, but the return of Nomar, Trot and Mueller will/has fixed that.

Is it the starting pitching? Outside of Lowe, no..

Is it the relief pitching? Outside of a few bad outings and Williamson on the DL, no.

Is it the pitching in general? No, best in the league.

Is it the hitting in general? No, they are like 3rd best in most categories.

Is it the defense? YUP. 67 unearned runs? in 85 games? Yes the D is a problem. It's THE problem.

You have to keep a guy like Pokey in the game. How many at bats does he usually get? 3-4 per game. How many possible outs can he save on D? 3-4 per game. It's a no brainer. He's worth keeping in the lineup.

Ortiz34
07-11-2004, 12:17 PM
i completely agree with red sox rooter. Pokey is an outstanding defensive player, and we need that in our infield.

JMDurron
07-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Jul 11 2004, 12:01 PM
Pokey has the best defense on the team. Maybe he wouldn't be my first choice as second baseman, but the odds of him making 2 errors in one inning leading to 6 un-earned runs are slim.

Isn't anybody else scared to high hell that this team WILL make the playoffs and lose in the playoffs on an error? I'm telling ya, I can see it right now. We need to keep some D in the lineup, even if we score 10 runs a game.
How about Pokey making one error (and it was an error, in spite of a friendly scorer) in an inning of 3 errors between SS and 2B leading to 6 unearned runs? That was just bizarre.

As far as Pokey being benched, based on the lineup of the last week or so, I'd say that he HAS been benched. He seems to only be starting when Bellhorn needs a day off, or when a LHP means Nomar can DH instead of play in the field. I think it's perfectly appropriate to start Pokey in both circumstances. We KNEW he couldn't hit before the season started, and he's extremely handy to have in the field with a groundball pitcher like Lowe on the mound.

We don't need to trade him (you want Crespo back as the backup IF?!? Can I slap you please?), we don't need to banish him to AAA. We need him as the excellent defensive and baserunning substitution that he has been the past week or so.

RedSoxRooter
07-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jul 11 2004, 12:20 PM
How about Pokey making one error (and it was an error, in spite of a friendly scorer) in an inning of 3 errors between SS and 2B leading to 6 unearned runs? That was just bizarre.

How about that? A guy playing out of position with a half-torn ligament playing with a reject second baseman? How many plays would Normar/Reese make as opposed to Reese/Bellhorn? Much.

Hell, he even makes Millar look better at first.

We all love Bellhorn's eye and bat, but the Sox are tougher to beat with Pokey's glove and arm. ("friendly scorers" aside)

CrespoBlows
07-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Pokey is 0-8 with 6 K's he isnt even making contact. He also isn't contributing with speed on the basepath's. We can put Bellhorn at 2nd he can handle the job, and can hit a lot better the Pokey. Reese can not hit anything.

RedSoxRooter
07-11-2004, 12:47 PM
So you want to talk about Ks? Seriously, Tony Womack would probably have satisified us all in RSN.

JMDurron
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter+Jul 11 2004, 12:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RedSoxRooter @ Jul 11 2004, 12:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JMDurron@Jul 11 2004, 12:20 PM
How about Pokey making one error (and it was an error, in spite of a friendly scorer) in an inning of 3 errors between SS and 2B leading to 6 unearned runs?* That was just bizarre.*

How about that? A guy playing out of position with a half-torn ligament playing with a reject second baseman? How many plays would Normar/Reese make as opposed to Reese/Bellhorn? Much.

Hell, he even makes Millar look better at first.

We all love Bellhorn&#39;s eye and bat, but the Sox are tougher to beat with Pokey&#39;s glove and arm. ("friendly scorers" aside) [/b][/quote]
Wow, you&#39;re really having some fun today. He&#39;s played that position most of the year, so that excuse is pretty weak. His hand must still be bothering him, but that begs the question of why we&#39;d want him starting if he has diminished capacity regarding the only thing he does exceptionally well (defense). Also, who is this reject 2nd basemen who you are speaking of? I only see the average guy we play there who had a really, really bad game yesterday. But hey, let&#39;s exaggerate every possible point(reject?), and make up some numbers (3-4 outs a game...care to justify that?) while ignoring the strikeout argument that you loved so much before Pokey started doing the same thing.

Our defense has been pretty bad this year, even though Pokey has started for most of the season. Is starting Pokey now, regardless of the offensive damage done, somehow going to make the team that much better defensively, relative to earlier in the season? No doubt he&#39;d limit the damage somewhat, but would it be by a significant enough margin to make the whole team suddenly stop sucking on defense?

CrespoBlows
07-11-2004, 04:12 PM
This game proves Pokey sucks, and should be benched. Not only should he never play again, he should never pinch run or play defense. We should trade him to anybody.

JMDurron
07-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I bet we see the K argument return now. Both Pokey and Bellhorn let us down in the same inning...again.

CrespoBlows
07-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh that&#39;s right, the Sox did have Womack. Why did we get rid of him? It should of been Pokey&#33;

JMDurron
07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Actually, it gets worse. It was a choice of Womack vs. Crespo. We kept Crespo because he impressed people in Spring Training.

sarasoxfan
07-11-2004, 06:10 PM
personally, I think bellhorn blows more than pokey. Bellhorn has no game.
At least pokey can play D. I think Walker had more, Christ FDR woukd have more range, and could probably hit better

vaman61
07-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Defense is a huge problem, and I can see it looming large in the playoffs. I sense Nomar is history. The Sox should keep Pokey. I can&#39;t see the games down here as often as I&#39;d like but his D is awesome. Getting him to hit better or bunt maybe.

Ortiz34
07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Im sure bellhorn doesn;t get picked off as much as Pokey. Damnit i am pissed at that. That would have tied the game. :angry: O well, second half to look forawrd to. I smell a 6 game losing streak for yanks, and a 6 game winning streak for sox. We are still in the division race, never give up hope.

schillingouttheks
07-11-2004, 09:31 PM
thats right, BELIEVE. pokey...better second half, i smell more inside the park HRs

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Guys,
Calm down on Pokey. He got picked off last night because he was going to run, and was cheating a bit. The Rangers caught him fair and square.

This is Pokey. When we got him, we knew what he brought to the table, and he has delivered as advertised. Great defense, not-so-great offense. He&#39;s a valuable asset to have (good D from SS and 2B) and SHOULD NOT be sent to AAA or traded. Maybe kept on the bench though as a defensive upgrade in late innings.

sarasoxfan
07-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I agree with els we got what we knew we were going to get.

Pokey has done well and been asked to play hurt, to cover for nomar and to do things and meete expectations way beyond thje call of duty.

Saying that and as much as I think Bellhorn sucks the big one, he has been asked to do way more than anyone ever thought, as well...and if I didnt hate him so much I would say he has answered the call. But I think he sucks I am not going say that.

Pokey will be fine if that retard tony francona would just play him everday at second and stop messing with everyone.

CrespoBlows
07-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JMDurron@Jul 11 2004, 04:47 PM
Actually, it gets worse. It was a choice of Womack vs. Crespo. We kept Crespo because he impressed people in Spring Training.
[QUOTE]

We kept CRESPO?&#33;&#33;&#33;

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 12:12 PM
RE: Womack

Yes, I was excited when the Red Sox picked up Tony Womack. "A guy who can steal bases," I thought. Well, now I realize that Tony Womack would not have stolen bases in a Red Sox uniform. Why? The team doesn&#39;t run. Plus, if Womack were here, he WOULDN&#39;T be playing every day, and wouldn&#39;t be putting up the same numbers as in St Louis.

SO, don&#39;t be too hard on the Sox for ditching Womack. Crespo DID have an impressive spring....

Keep in mind that Pokey, Damon, even Nomar could be stealing bases if given the chance.

Ortiz34
07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but they took Crespo over Womack. CRESPO. We are talking about the worst baseball player alive.

elsrbueno
07-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Now Ortiz, that&#39;s quite the exaggeration.

Cesar Crespo, despite popular belief, IS NOT the worst baseball player alive. He&#39;s better than me, better than....well....

Keep in mind also that Womack is playing over his head this year...he&#39;s not a .300 hitter (hitting something like .270 for the regular season).

Sara, why you gotta be so hard on Bellhorn anyway?

trot4mvp
07-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Pokey on the bench? Or worse...sent down to AAA? That sounds like Crespo treatment, and Pokey Reese is no Cesar Crespo. Ease up fellas, Pokey is not as bad as you&#39;re making him out to be. Sure, he&#39;s no Todd Walker offensively, but Walker is no Pokey Reese defensively...catch my drift? This team can certainly benefit from a little extra defense up the middle at the cost of additional offensive production. And for Christ&#39;s sake, he&#39;s got more RBI than Kentucky Fried Kevin. Pokey should be our starting 2B, but worst case scenario, he is the first man off the bench.

Old Hoss
07-13-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 12 2004, 08:18 AM
The Rangers caught him fair and square.

Actually they didn&#39;t.....he was safe.

elsrbueno
07-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Old Hoss+Jul 13 2004, 05:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Old Hoss @ Jul 13 2004, 05:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-elsrbueno@Jul 12 2004, 08:18 AM
The Rangers caught him fair and square.

Actually they didn&#39;t.....he was safe. [/b][/quote]
OK, well regardless....It&#39;s not Pokey&#39;s fault

CrespoBlows
07-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 12 2004, 02:31 PM
Now Ortiz, that&#39;s quite the exaggeration.

Cesar Crespo, despite popular belief, IS NOT the worst baseball player alive. He&#39;s better than me, better than....well....

Keep in mind also that Womack is playing over his head this year...he&#39;s not a .300 hitter (hitting something like .270 for the regular season).

Sara, why you gotta be so hard on Bellhorn anyway?
Womack is hitting .328 in 250 AB&#39;s with 17 SB&#39;s.

gosox613
07-18-2004, 06:11 PM
we did not sign him for his offense, we signed him for his FANTASTIC defense. any good offense he gives us (2 hr game) is a bonus. and defense is important...on a team with this many errors and unearned runs allowed? come on

element1151
07-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Yea, his D does pay off.