PDA

View Full Version : Non-randy Johnson Rumors

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 11:30 AM
This one makes me SICK.

No-trade clause not waived
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: The Mariners designated the struggling Olerud for assignment Thursday, which means he could be probably had for a bargain-basement price. However, the Sox are unlikely to make a play for him. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees might pursue him as a backup

WHAT THE HELL DO THE YANKEES NEED A THIRD FIRST BASEMAN FOR?

(i wrote it all in caps because it makes me that angry).

The Lowe-down
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: We found this tidbit from Nick Cafardo in Friday's Boston Globe revealing: "There are enough scouts in the stands to read the tea leaves. Lowe is available now in the right deal." ... New York Newsday reported Monday that the Mets' flirtation with Lowe might be short-lived because the price might be too high after Lowe rebounded with a strong showing this weekend.

If Lowe gets traded.....who starts for the Sox?

Last updated: 7/16
Standing pat?
BUZZ FACTOR -- Medium: According to the Boston Herald, Theo and the Trio don't feel any urgency to make a big splash before the July 31 trading deadline. One AL executive told the newspaper that GM Theo Epstein is holding firm on his plans to rebuild the organization from within rather than trading away the Sox' best prospects. There's still obviously a chance they could make a move, but it's just as likely to be for a player who can help more in the future than this season. One source who is familiar with the status of ongoing trade talks throughout baseball told the Herald that there is only a 10 percent chance that the Sox will be making a move over the next two weeks.

10%?!? This team is floundering....Kevin Millar is NOT an everyday player. Derek Lowe is not a championship caliber starter. The bullpen is not up to par. This team IS NOT performing....Why stand pat?

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 02:18 PM
this isnt really a rumor, but for some reason when i read this stuff, dont ask me why, must have been the mets because this guy said soemthing about NY, i thought about john rocker. dont ask y, because i dont know y, and ive been thinking...what happened to him?

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Rocker was with Atlanta, then got traded to Cleveland, where he didn't do too well. I don't know how, but he ended up in Texas in 02, where he pitched for 25 innings.

According to ESPN, he pitched 1 inning for Tampa Bay last year. I don't think he's in MLB this year

schillingouttheks
07-16-2004, 03:06 PM
really? tampa bay, thats pretty close to us...the truth is though, that guy was an asshole, even if the comments were against NY.

elsrbueno
07-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by nomah555@Jul 16 2004, 03:06 PM
really? tampa bay, thats pretty close to us...the truth is though, that guy was an asshole, even if the comments were against NY.
No doubt. I think he managed to piss off just about EVERYONE.

schillingouttheks
07-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 16 2004, 11:30 AM
This one makes me SICK.

No-trade clause not waived
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: The Mariners designated the struggling Olerud for assignment Thursday, which means he could be probably had for a bargain-basement price. However, the Sox are unlikely to make a play for him. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees might pursue him as a backup

WHAT THE HELL DO THE YANKEES NEED A THIRD FIRST BASEMAN FOR?

(i wrote it all in caps because it makes me that angry).

The Lowe-down
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: We found this tidbit from Nick Cafardo in Friday's Boston Globe revealing: "There are enough scouts in the stands to read the tea leaves. Lowe is available now in the right deal." ... New York Newsday reported Monday that the Mets' flirtation with Lowe might be short-lived because the price might be too high after Lowe rebounded with a strong showing this weekend.

If Lowe gets traded.....who starts for the Sox?

Last updated: 7/16
Standing pat?
BUZZ FACTOR -- Medium: According to the Boston Herald, Theo and the Trio don't feel any urgency to make a big splash before the July 31 trading deadline. One AL executive told the newspaper that GM Theo Epstein is holding firm on his plans to rebuild the organization from within rather than trading away the Sox' best prospects. There's still obviously a chance they could make a move, but it's just as likely to be for a player who can help more in the future than this season. One source who is familiar with the status of ongoing trade talks throughout baseball told the Herald that there is only a 10 percent chance that the Sox will be making a move over the next two weeks.

10%?!? This team is floundering....Kevin Millar is NOT an everyday player. Derek Lowe is not a championship caliber starter. The bullpen is not up to par. This team IS NOT performing....Why stand pat?
i agree with the third first baseman. they have clark and giambi, and clark has been a good starter for while giambi has been out. i dont see y they need to bring in a backup for the backup. and dont u hate it how clark is having a beastly season in NY while back in boston he couldnt hit water if he fell out of a goddamn boat?

gosox613
07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
YES his offensive production against us in that catastrophic sweep pissed me off SO much just because he completely sucks for us but not wen he plays us

elsrbueno
07-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Don't kill the messenger, but these are today's rumors according to Boston.com

Last updated: 7/19
Sox have an eye on Adams
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: The Sox have been in contact with the Blue Jays about some of their veterans, including Terry Adams, a reliever who has held left-handed batters to a sub-.200 batting average this season.

Nixon for Beltran?
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: The Red Sox are very interested in Beltran, who may become available again before the trading deadline if the Astros fall further out of the playoff hunt. What would Boston give up to get him? There are rumors that Trot Nixon, who signed a new contract in the offseason, could be dangled to try to bring Beltran to Boston for the rest of the season, but we doubt anything will come of it. Nixon is a home-grown product signed beyond this season, while Beltran would assuredly be a three-month rental. ... The Carlos Beltran Sweepstakes may not be over after all. Houston GM Gerry Hunsicker said recently, "We're on the verge of falling out of the race," which could turn the Astros from buyers to sellers. Carlos Beltran is most mentioned in that scenario.

----------------------------
Um, Terry Adams maybe if he comes cheaply enough...but Nixon for Beltran?!? No way! I love Trot.

elsrbueno
07-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Today's latest: (from boston.com)

Last updated: 7/20
Gammons: Beltran likely gone from Houston
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: Peter Gammons thinks Beltran will be traded from Houston before the trade deadline. The Red Sox would certainly be interested, and Gammons had this interesting tidbit in his chat on ESPN.com on Monday: "[The Astros] have to get a young catcher back in the deal. Keep your eye on Boston because of Kelly Shoppach." Trot Nixon's name has also been mentioned as possible trade bait for Beltran, but we don't expect that to happen -- unless the Sox get REALLY desperate. ... The Carlos Beltran Sweepstakes may not be over after all. Houston GM Gerry Hunsicker said recently, "We're on the verge of falling out of the race," which could turn the Astros from buyers to sellers. Carlos Beltran is most mentioned in that scenario.

Sounds like yesterday's except today Shoppach is involved. Makes sense for Houston to make a move (13 games back in the Central, 6 games out of the Wild Card) but I don't think the Red Sox will trade Shoppach, and don't want them to either.

Last updated: 7/20
On the radar
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: There may be more starting pitching available at the deadline than first assumed. Marlins starter Carl Pavano -- a former Sox farmhand who will be a free agent at the end of the season -- told the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel that he couldn't be surprised if Florida traded him before July 31. If he should become available, expect the Sox to put out feelers. Pavano is 9-4 with a 2.83 ERA.

Look at Pavano's career numbers....One can't help but wonder if Pavano is another Jeff Suppan....(a pitcher having a good year in the NL who gets traded to the AL and sucks it up).

I don't really expect Florida to fall out of it. The NL East is WIDE open, with 4 teams having a shot at the title. Florida's only 3 games back...

elsrbueno
07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=36673 (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=36673)

From the article:

Additionally, baseball sources confirmed that the Sox have had discussions with the Phillies about a trade that would send Derek Lowe [stats, news] to Philadelphia for right-hander Kevin Millwood, but money remains an obstacle in the deal.

I'm sick of this....Mr Henry: OPEN YOUR WALLET!!

I'm not saying get Millwood, but John Henry's penny pinching is gunna cost us the wild card. Now is not the time to hold back. We need to counter Randy Johnson going to the Yankees (for when it happens). No more of this standing pat shit. This team needs help

Sizzlin22
07-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Can we give up anyone but Nixon I mean he's the team captain everybody loves Trot.

elsrbueno
07-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Sizzlin,
I don't think the Sox WOULD give up Trot....especially since they JUST signed him to an extension and the last thing they'd like to do is trade for yet another player in his walk year. I think it's just a wild rumor.

All,
The latest rumors I've been hearing is that the Sox may go after Larry Walker to play first, and the D-Lowe rumors are still swirling.

Also, the Orioles said they may trade their closer Julio Lugo....who might look good as a setup man in Boston...stay tuned.

Sizzlin22
07-23-2004, 12:21 PM
I say Larry Walkers contract is too large unless we can give them someone like BK back to them who has a larger contract otherwise it's jsut too much. I would like Lugo too he's very good.

schillingouttheks
07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 23 2004, 08:25 AM
Also, the Orioles said they may trade their closer Julio Lugo....who might look good as a setup man in Boston...stay tuned.
lol i think u mean jorge julio

elsrbueno
07-26-2004, 11:49 AM
NEW RUMORS:

Last updated: 7/26
A shift in priorities?
BUZZ FACTOR -- Low: Now that Trot Nixon is back on the shelf and Kevin Millar is tearing it up, might the Red Sox go after an outfielder (hello, Carlos Beltran) instead of a first baseman before Saturday's trade deadline? ... In a Boston.com chat on Friday afternoon, the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes shed some light on the Red Sox' priorities and the market in general: "I think Theo Epstein is trying to shore up the bullpen (which he did with Terry Adams), and I certainly don't believe he's given up on the idea of trying to make something work for Randy Johnson, even if it is a long shot. Beyond that, it's hard to see where Epstein or anyone else is going to get the pitching they need. Kris Benson? That could be another Jeff Suppan situation, but at a higher price. Jamie Moyer? He has given indications he doesn't want to go anywhere, although he would help. Ramon Ortiz? The Angels aren't going to help a team they're in direct competition with. The Marlins bear talking to, in case they are in a selling mode and would move either Armando Benitez or Carl Pavano, but I don't see it. Matt Clement? The Cubs have too many health issues with their pitchers." ... Epstein told NESN on Wednesday that he has been feverishly working the phones searching for the right deal. ... The Red Sox are way back in the pack in the Randy Johnson Derby, and may have given up on trying to land the pitcher -- at least until the 11th hour. Carl Pavano could be on Boston's radar screen if the Marlins fall out of the race in time. They may also be trying to deal Derek Lowe.

More of the same. I don't expect Beltran to be traded at all.

Mientkiewicz expects to be traded
BUZZ FACTOR -- Medium: Keep an eye on this one, the Sox could get involved in a hurry. Two members of the Twins with knowledge of the situation told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that Mientkiewicz has been told he will be traded. He indicated he expects to be moved s the club can make prospect Justin Morneau the full-time first baseman. The Red Sox would be an obvious fit for Mientkiewicz, though it's still unclear how Kevin Millar's recent surge would affect Boston's interest. The Twins could also use Mientkiewicz as part of a deal for Pirates starter Kris Benson.

Are the Sox interested? Mientkiewicz is a gold-glove first baseman. However, IF the Pirates are willing to send Benson in a trade for Mientkiewicz, I don't expect Boston to match that offer. Also, why would the Twins want to help out a fellow contender?

Marlins are front-runners
BUZZ FACTOR -- Medium: The latest buzz on Walker has him going to Florida, according to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, but only if he waives his no-trade clause and Colorado agrees to eat a big portion of the contract in a Mike Hampton-like deal. ... Walker appears to be the Marlins' top priority, should they decide to be buyers instead of sellers before July 31. "Walker has a much higher ceiling (than Steve Finley) and he's still a Gold Glove right fielder,'' one National League scout told the Palm Beach Post. "He'd really help (the Marlins).'' The Marlins have a scout at Dodger Stadium to watch Walker, who has the right to veto any trade. Walker, though, who has a home in South Florida, is just asking that he be kept aware of the talks. ... ESPN's Peter Gammons said on Tuesday morning's SportsCenter that the Rockies told the Red Sox Walker wouldn't mind being dealt to Boston. However, Gammons went on to say the Sox weren't as interested in bringing Walker to Boston to play first base as they were a week ago. According to Gammons, the Rockies would have to take Byung-Hyun Kim, who makes $6 million in 2005, in any deal because Boston cannot take on Walker's entire $12.5 million next season.

I actually am starting to like the idea of getting Walker. If he is, indeed, a "gold glove caliber right fielder" as the above states.... He can help fill the void there (Nixon's out, Millar's been playing FAR too many games in the outfield). If Nixon comes back healthy, Walker can also play first base. He's a veteran guy with a good bat and apparently pretty good defense. He's got a big contract, but if the Sox clear money by trading Kim for him, he's affordable.