PDA

View Full Version : Carl Pavano has two broken ribs

BoSox34
08-29-2006, 12:26 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=As7G5DpXTwZ850JCykqceFERvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-pavano&prov=ap&type=lgns

Pavano has two broken ribs from accident he hid from Yankees
Pavano has two broken ribs from accident he hid from Yankees

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
August 28, 2006

AP - Aug 28, 8:15 pm EDT
More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano has a pair of broken ribs, sustained in a mid-August car accident that the oft-injured right-hander didn't tell the team about until Monday.

Pavano, who hasn't played in the major leagues since June 27, 2005, due to shoulder, back, buttocks and elbow injuries, is scheduled for a medical checkup Tuesday and remains on track to make his final rehabilitation start Wednesday for Triple-A Columbus at Durham.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was unusually pointed in his remarks about Pavano, who signed a $39.95 million, four-year contract with the Yankees as a free agent before the 2005 season and went 4-6 with a 4.77 ERA in 17 major league starts before going on the disabled list.

"I think it's obviously frustrating, disappointing. There's a lot of words which would come to mind," Cashman said. "Of course I'm angry. ... I've got an army of people here that we provide to put our players in the best position possible to succeed, and I don't want anybody to sabotage that by holding back. And clearly here, for a period of time that took place."

New York had hoped Pavano possibly would be able to rejoin its rotation this week, filling the spot opened when Mike Mussina went on the disabled list last week with a strained right groin. Pavano and Cashman both expressed hope that this latest injury wouldn't keep Pavano from rejoining the major league team when rosters expand this week.

"I still want to pitch and get through this." said Pavano, who has been trying to come back from surgery on May 25 to remove a bone chip from his right elbow.

Pavano said he was hurt early Aug. 15 in West Palm Beach, Fla., when on a rainy night his car hit a puddle, spun out of control and hit a truck that was at a stop sign.

"There was no ambulance or anything. I was able to walk away from it," Pavano said. "I had my seat belt on. I think that's the area where maybe I got injured, is where the seat belt was."

Pavano lives in West Palm Beach and had permission to go home, Cashman said. Pavano said his lack of performance with the Yankees led to his decision not to initially inform the team.

"It's been pretty frustrating for not only the city, the team, my teammates, myself, management," he said. "It just seems like it's one thing after another. I'm not impervious to this because I make a lot of money and I play baseball."

After the accident, Pavano pitched four shutout innings that night for Class A Tampa at Brevard County, the first of three rehab starts.

"It just seems like there's a lot of distractions that are caused by me that go around with the team, and I figured that, at the time, it was something I could get through," he said. "I felt all right. I knew something was wrong, I didn't know the extent of it, but I figured that I'd pitch through it and it would get better. I just didn't seem to get better, and that's the only reason why I really went to the team."

Pavano pitched six innings for Columbus last Friday and told the Yankees he felt rib discomfort the following day, when the team was thinking about bringing him to the major leagues for his next start. A baseball official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the team is only just starting its own investigation, said Pavano did not tell the club about the accident until Monday, when a scan revealed the injury.

"I needed a doctor's opinion on what kind of treatment I needed," he said. "I figured the best thing to do was come clean with it and get the right treatment."

Cashman rejected the notion that Pavano told the team then because he didn't want to pitch again at the major league level. He said Pavano threw a side session Monday.

"We have had players play with this issue before," Cashman said.

Jon_Papelboner
08-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Good news. Now we can get rid of this son of an asshole.

He Hate Me
08-29-2006, 08:36 AM
I say put him in there during the Boston series and force him to go 9 innings even if gives up 30 runs. Make the guy's arm fall off if needed. I'd gladly lose one game in the standings to punish this heartless twerp.

whew...ok maybe not, I like winning too much, but damn that's tempting.

ARod2212
08-29-2006, 09:48 AM
I say put him in there during the Boston series and force him to go 9 innings even if gives up 30 runs. Make the guy's arm fall off if needed. I'd gladly lose one game in the standings to punish this heartless twerp.

whew...ok maybe not, I like winning too much, but damn that's tempting. Well we may have it clinched by then, so why not? Sorry, cheap shot. I am thoroughly ashamed.

Ladies and gentlemen it's once again time to play..
http://nomaas.org/images/pavanowheel1.jpg

It is so comical right now. I still would like to see the guy have a chance to pitch, just for the hell of it. I mean he is a pitcher, right?

Mr Crunchy
08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
i love the wheel arod
great job

rician blast
08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
didn't' Alyssa Milano insinuate that he had a little package

makes sense...this guy is sackless.

pride of southington, ct. faaaaaaak.

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Apperently the accident wasnt reported to the authorities:

No record of Pavano accident
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 29, 2006, 11:33 AM EDT

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities have no record of an August car accident involving Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano, who told the team Monday after learning he broke two ribs in an Aug. 15 crash.

Pavano said he was hurt while at home in West Palm Beach when his car went through a puddle, spun out of control and hit a truck at a stop sign.

Lt. Tim Frith of the Florida Highway Patrol acknowledged Tuesday the accident may not have been reported to authorities.

"There was no ambulance or anything. I was able to walk away from it," Pavano said Monday.

The West Palm Beach Police Department and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office had no record of any traffic incident involving Pavano during all of 2006, according to their records departments. FHP, which often responds to vehicle crashes, also had no record of a car crash involving Pavano during the month of August.

Pavano, who hasn't played in the major leagues since June 27, 2005, due to injuries, was scheduled for a medical checkup Tuesday and remains on track to make his final rehabilitation start Wednesday for Triple-A Columbus at Durham.

A baseball official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the team's ongoing investigation, said Pavano did not tell the club about the accident until Monday, when a scan revealed the injury.

The team was still hoping Pavano would rejoin its rotation this week, filling the spot opened when Mike Mussina went on the disabled list last week.

The same day Pavano said he was in the crash, he pitched four shutout innings for Class A Tampa at Brevard County, the first of three rehab starts.

"I figured that, at the time, it was something I could get through," Pavano said, adding that he never recovered from the injuries so he felt he needed to inform the team of the crash. "I figured the best thing to do was come clean with it and get the right treatment."

General manager Brian Cashman said he was angry that Pavano didn't tell the team sooner, calling it frustrating and disappointing.

Pavano signed a $39.95 million, four-year contract with the Yankees as a free agent before the 2005 season and went 4-6 with a 4.77 ERA in 17 major league starts before going on the disabled list.

He lives in West Palm Beach and had permission to go home, Cashman said.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sppavano0830,0,3290920.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

He Hate Me
08-29-2006, 12:07 PM
The guy just doesn't want to earn his money. Pathetic.

Mr Crunchy
08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
ive said this 100 times
in the 04 offseason there were 2 guys who were wanted
pavano and clement
i wanted pavano so much more than clement i was puking liver bile in my mouth for a month after the yanks got him and rj and we got clement and wells

after clement made the all star team it looked like theo was a genious
ha
they both should have publically funded sex changes done by one of those indian eunichs
have cable tv do a ppv event and the money raised will offset their salaries

2 of em
both fukin disgraceful

He Hate Me
08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Who was the last NL pitcher to make the switch to the AL and maintain his numbers?

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Schilling won 20 games for the Red Sox in 04.

Mr Crunchy
08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
ya
schillings #s didnt move at all in the move from 'zona

He Hate Me
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
That's cuz Schilling is you know, good.

Youk Of The Nation
08-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Well we may have it clinched by then, so why not? Sorry, cheap shot. I am thoroughly ashamed.

Ladies and gentlemen it's once again time to play..
http://nomaas.org/images/pavanowheel1.jpg

It is so comical right now. I still would like to see the guy have a chance to pitch, just for the hell of it. I mean he is a pitcher, right?

Where's the bruised buttocks?

Mr Crunchy
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Where's the bruised buttocks?

probably in the tender mitts of gary sheffield

Optimist
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
His punishment should be taking in a game with the bleacher creatures (his fan club, I'm sure.)

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Who was the last NL pitcher to make the switch to the AL and maintain his numbers?
Kevin Millwood's numbers go better.

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Why did the Yankees expect to get Pavano back? I thought he made it very clear in the offseason that he never wanted to pitch for the Yankees again. They're stupid for expecting him to ever come back.

arbitrary
08-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Why did the Yankees expect to get Pavano back? I thought he made it very clear in the offseason that he never wanted to pitch for the Yankees again. They're stupid for expecting him to ever come back.

How'd he do that?

just curious...

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
How'd he do that?

just curious...
He said. I don't want to pitch in NY anymore.

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-29-2006, 07:09 PM
He said. I don't want to pitch in NY anymore.
I dont recall him ever saying that. I do recall people saying that for him. Got a link?

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont recall him ever saying that. I do recall people saying that for him. Got a link?
Yeah I have a link for a news story from Spring Training. Let me just pul that out of my ass.

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah I have a link for a news story from Spring Training. Let me just pul that out of my ass.
Do some research. If you cant pull it out of your ass then dont talk out of your ass. I have never heard Pavano say point blank "I dont want to pitch anymore in NY". I remember there was a story about Pavano telling friends that he doesnt want to pitch in NY but when asked Pavano denied the story. Thats not the samething as "I thought he made it very clear in the offseason that he never wanted to pitch for the Yankees again."

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Do some research. If you cant pull it out of your ass then dont talk out of your ass. I have never heard Pavano say point blank "I dont want to pitch anymore in NY". I remember there was a story about Pavano telling friends that he doesnt want to pitch in NY but when asked Pavano denied the story. Thats not the samething as "I thought he made it very clear in the offseason that he never wanted to pitch for the Yankees again."
Saying you do not want to pitch for the Yankees, isn't the same as saying you never want to pitch for the Yankees again? The only difference is the word never.

BTW do you honestly think he'd be honest to the NY Media? I seriously doubt he wanted to get raped by them.

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Saying you do not want to pitch for the Yankees, isn't the same as saying you never want to pitch for the Yankees again? The only difference is the word never.

BTW do you honestly think he'd be honest to the NY Media. I seriously doubt he wanted to get raped by them.
Oh, if your asking me if I personally think that he wants to pitch in NY my anwser would be no and I'm sure he would lie to the media my only point is I never heard Carl Pavano himself say that publicly.

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh, if your asking me if I personally think that he wants to pitch in NY my anwser would be no and I'm sure he would lie to the media my only point is I never heard Carl Pavano himself say that publicly.
Like I just said, why would he say it publically? The NY Media can ruin your life (See: ARod).

Jon_Papelboner
08-29-2006, 07:36 PM

BTW do you honestly think he'd be honest to the NY Media? I seriously doubt he wanted to get raped by them.
Well he denied the story so if he came out and publicly said he doesn't want to pitch for the yankees,then there would be nothing to deny. He never publically said he doesn't want to pitch for us. But based on the bullshit he's pulled this season, he might as well have said it.

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Well he denied the story so if he came out and publicly said he doesn't want to pitch for the yankees,then there would be nothing to deny. He never publically said he doesn't want to pitch for us. But based on the bullshit he's pulled this season, he might as well have said it.
Again, he would never come out and say that because he doesn't want to get plowed by the NY Media.

Optimist
08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
If Pavano ever pitches for another team, he'd be smart to go back to the National League. The Yankee Stadium crowd would tear him a few new ones if he ever showed up on that mound.

MC Hammer
08-29-2006, 08:06 PM
If Pavano ever pitches for another team, he'd be smart to go back to the National League. The Yankee Stadium crowd would tear him a few new ones if he ever showed up on that mound.
Agreed. Although I don't ever think he'll be that successful anywhere. He really only has 2 pitches, and clearly can't stay healthy.

Optimist
08-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Pavano has concerns other than Cashman. According to The New York Daily News, which obtained a copy of the police report, Pavano was charged with the accident, contrary to what he told reporters on Monday. The report also said Pavano's 2006 Porsche sustained $30,000 worth of damage.

He should be driving a junker. <_<

AlexanderTheGreat13
08-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh boy how on earth is he going to pay for that kind of damage?!?!? :(

ARod2212
08-31-2006, 01:14 PM
http://pe-ip005.facebook.com/v17/224/16/73600600/n73600600_30060074_9672.jpg

Mr Crunchy
08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
is that george michael??