PDA

View Full Version : top 100 prospects

Soxfan#1
11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
http://topprospectalert.com/top100baseballprospects.htm

Hansen, Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lowrie up there.

Cityofchampions33
11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Phillip Hugehs seems a tadd high

AlexanderTheGreat13
11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Phillip Hugehs seems a tadd high

Who deserves to be higher then him?

scaffolds
11-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Who is doing this ranking?

guapo34
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Most lists I've looked at have Brandon Wood and Cameron Maybin higher than Hughes, and some but not many have Homer Bailey higher as well. This list seems to rank all pitchers higher than I've noticed though, and I'm not sold on Wood being a top 5 in all of baseball anyway. Some of the worst rankings I see are Elbert at 13, too high, Loney and Laroche at 36 and 40 too low, Fernando Martinez at 45 seems really low, and all the Red Sox guys seem high. Lowrie doesn't even belong on the list.

CrespoBlows
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Hansen isn't even a prospect anymore.

jsinger121
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hansen isn't even a prospect anymore.

He is still a prospect since he has not reached 50 ML innings.

ORS
11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
It's not only innings, but also time on the 25-man roster. I'm pretty sure Hansen lost his prospect status.

AlexanderTheGreat13
11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Most lists I've looked at have Brandon Wood and Cameron Maybin higher than Hughes, and some but not many have Homer Bailey higher as well. This list seems to rank all pitchers higher than I've noticed though, and I'm not sold on Wood being a top 5 in all of baseball anyway. Some of the worst rankings I see are Elbert at 13, too high, Loney and Laroche at 36 and 40 too low, Fernando Martinez at 45 seems really low, and all the Red Sox guys seem high. Lowrie doesn't even belong on the list.
I've said it before when it comes to Hughes vs Bailey. Its a matter of taste. I believe both Hughes and Bailey deserve to be higher then Maybin. You can make a stronger case for Wood because hes a SS that has major power. This list does have some holes in it IMO.

AlexanderTheGreat13
11-06-2006, 08:41 PM
I wonder where they will rank Matsuzaka when he signs. If I remember right both Contreas and Matsui were both ranked in the top 10.

jsinger121
11-06-2006, 09:38 PM
It's not only innings, but also time on the 25-man roster. I'm pretty sure Hansen lost his prospect status.

I believe BA will have Hansen in their top 10 soxprospects.

guapo34
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I wonder where they will rank Matsuzaka when he signs. If I remember right both Contreas and Matsui were both ranked in the top 10.

I've already said that Hughes is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, so don't take this as anti yankee, but Callis said in a recent chat on espn he'd take Matsuzaka over Hughes because the level of competition in Japan is generally considered higher than AAA so hes proven more at a higher level. Of course this is even less anti-yankee as lots of people are assuming Matsuzaka will wind up on the Yankees.

As for Hansens prospect status, there isn't a standard that is used across the industry to decide how many IP/AB disqualify someone as a prospect. BA will still rank Hansen as a prospect I've read.

Gom
11-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I've already said that Hughes is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, so don't take this as anti yankee, but Callis said in a recent chat on espn he'd take Matsuzaka over Hughes because the level of competition in Japan is generally considered higher than AAA so hes proven more at a higher level. Of course this is even less anti-yankee as lots of people are assuming Matsuzaka will wind up on the Yankees.

As for Hansens prospect status, there isn't a standard that is used across the industry to decide how many IP/AB disqualify someone as a prospect. BA will still rank Hansen as a prospect I've read.

Matsuzaka would be number one on the list. No arguement there. He's also older and more established. Whether Hansesn is a prospect or not is kind of silly. He's in the majors to stay now. All of a sudden, in mid-may, he's no longer a prospect? LOL!

ORS
11-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't think there is an industry standard, but most go by whether or not the player still has rookie status. Hansen lost his due to spending enough time on the 25-man roster. I suppose you could consider whether or not a player still has options and where they will play next year - Hansen needs more time in AAA, IMO. Either way, it's a non-issue.