42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH

ksushi
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Doubront might be good if he adds a little bit onto that fastball. He is only 19 I think, so its possible.

example1
01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I think Mike Jones could have a good season and perhaps show us something (you know, relative to his place on this list) worth seeing. Other than that your assessment seems fine Jacksonian. I think that would not be accurate for the top 25 prospects, but 37-50, okay.

scaffolds
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Hetzler at #38 is incredible, he is border line that he will make the Sox minor league teams.

jacksonianmarch
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
this is scout.com, thats all.

jacksonianmarch
01-31-2007, 07:31 AM
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
43.) Dustin Richardson, P
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P

Rozier and Beam are lefties. Rozier a power lefty with little control. Beam a soft tossing lefty out of the pen who sounds like Halama.

example1
02-01-2007, 12:41 AM
What list is this? Doubront was ranked 18th by BA this year and I think he certainly deserves to be ahead of 42nd regardless of the validity one puts on BA's rankings.

jacksonianmarch
02-01-2007, 06:56 AM
scout.com

ORS
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
What list is this? Doubront was ranked 18th by BA this year and I think he certainly deserves to be ahead of 42nd regardless of the validity one puts on BA's rankings.
Scout values level more than ceiling. BA favors ceiling. I subscribe to BA, but they've only listed the Sox top-10 and Doubront isn't in it.

jacksonianmarch
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
scout.com has multiple divisions. The red sox division is diehard.com. Pinstripes plus seems to have a pretty good mix of Ceiling and Level while leaving out the DSL kids sans Montero. Diehard does certainly value level more than ceiling and they dont include any DSL kids either.

jacksonianmarch
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
DIEHARD 2007 TOP 50 PROSPECTS 50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF

scaffolds
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Randy Beam is a pitcher who may had top out in AA, for sure he isn't a top 50 prospect, Jon Egan is some where around 25-30 as a prospect, Jeremy West isn't a top 50 prospect, Reid Engel is somewhere in the 40's as a prospect, the only one that they may have right is Michael Rozier who is 30-35 as a prospect.

jacksonianmarch
02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF
32.) Christian Lara, SS
31.) Luis Soto, OF

scaffolds
02-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Lara at #32 isn't that far off and because of Soto's disappointing season can understand the drop off, however i have them rated higher.

example1
02-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Scout values level more than ceiling. BA favors ceiling. I subscribe to BA, but they've only listed the Sox top-10 and Doubront isn't in it.

Yeah, he was #18 in their prospect handbook. I understand the differences between Scout and BA now. Thanks for the clarification fellas. I think a combination of the two lists probably gives the most accurate view.

Personally, I prefer BA's list if it deals considerably more with ceiling than with level (since level will be dealt with in time by players moving up as they age).

jacksonianmarch
02-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, he was #18 in their prospect handbook. I understand the differences between Scout and BA now. Thanks for the clarification fellas. I think a combination of the two lists probably gives the most accurate view.

Personally, I prefer BA's list if it deals considerably more with ceiling than with level (since level will be dealt with in time by players moving up as they age).

It depends on the person who runs it. Pinstripes plus seems to be a good mix of it (as evidenced by their higher ratings of Gardner as he is close, but the very high rating of Montero without him even playing one DSL game). Diehard certainly looks like they value proximity vs ceiling.

scaffolds
02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Proximity to where? some of those players won't make to the ML and if some do it won't be more for a cup of coffee, with a very low ceiling.

jacksonianmarch
02-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Proximity to where? some of those players won't make to the ML and if some do it won't be more for a cup of coffee, with a very low ceiling.

I read a few of the SR's from diehard and will agree that the Beam pick sounds bad. A loogy with bad stuff and poor control doesnt look like major league material, but who knows.

I have been under the impression that the sox system is not that deep to this point, maybe that is why the top 50 list is so weak from 30-50.

jacksonianmarch
02-07-2007, 08:18 AM
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF
32.) Christian Lara, SS
31.) Luis Soto, OF
30.) Mike James, P

scaffolds
02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Jackson the Sox system isn't lacking depth, just a bad players rating by scout.com.

jacksonianmarch
02-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Jackson the Sox system isn't lacking depth, just a bad players rating by scout.com.

what is your top 50? I saw sox prospects.com, but that is pretty out of date, IMO.

Just checked. You guys updated this recently, didnt you.

jacksonianmarch
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
So I am checking out sox prospects and here is the list of their top 40 and where they will be starting in the minors this season (projected anyway).

Boston MLB
Pedroia #4

Pawtucket AAA
Kottaras #8
Murphy #10
Martinez #13
Moss #14
Spann #15
Gabbard #27
Pauley #34
Smith #35

Portland AA
Ellsbury #1
Buchholz #2
Jackson #18
Lowrie #21
Natale #32

Lancaster A+
Bowden#3
Cox #5
Masterson#7
Wagner #20
Soto #23
Rozier #28
Jones #31
Turner #37

Greenville A
Bard #6
Place #9
Johnson #11
Egan #19
Kalish #24
Chiang #30
Esposito #33

Lowell A- short season
#22 Clay

GCL Sox Rookie ball
Anderson #12
Beltre #39
Tejeda #40

jacksonianmarch
02-08-2007, 10:17 AM
AAA
Of the sox AAA prospects, the only one with any punch is Kottaras. He benefitted from being one of a select few who were actually useful in the minors in SD and came over in the Wells deal. He had a horrible 2006 season in AAA after having an okay start to it in AA. From what I've heard, he projects more as a backup catcher than as a starter, but he has experience with a knuckler and has proven he can handle AA. So we shall see, he very well could continue to develop the hitting skills needed at the next level to become an every day player. This yr will help with his development to see if he can develop the power everyone seems to be expecting. It seems he is ticketed to Boston as a Sept callup this yr and as a Vtek heir apparent in 2008, likely catching the knuckler is Wake is still around.

Martinez is another intriguing guy to keep an eye on. A converted position player, he has a power repertoire that started to fall into place last yr. He is starting to harness his stuff and may make a debut this season. He is still not a very advanced prospect and projects to being useful MR one day. Maybe a MDC with a little less talent.

AA
The two best sox prospects are here. Everyone has heard of Ellsbury. The guy with a Johnny Damon projection. Has very good speed, but hasnt turned it into the kind of SB numbers you'd expect out of someone with world class speed. Not the kind of power projectability you would typically want out of an OFer, but he has the BA and the OBP skills to be a very good OFer and potential leadoff man.

Buchholz, I think they are rushing a bit. If his fantastic repertoire is accurate, then he shouldnt have a problem in AA. But he still needs to perfect the repertoire a bit and having a pitcher essentially skip the FSL is not the way to do it. He is the best rated pitching prospect.

After that in AA, the field is barren. Jackson continues to get hurt and his command went backwards. Lowrie and Natale I have seen be referred to as guys whose MLB hopes are slipping with every passing day.

A+
I like this class of yours better than any other class in the system. Bowden is my favorite sox pitching prospect. Most polished, best arsenal, younger than Buchholz by 2 full yrs. He will be moved slowly as I feel the sox have him pegged as the next home grown star while they may be shopping Buchholz, who knows.

Cox is a power arm with good stuff and has been bandied about in the majors league picture this yr. WIll move rapidly through the system and has high projection in the pen. Still needs some serious seasoning before he hits the bigs though.

Masterson should not be this high in any system. He is a guy whose ultimate destination seems to be changing by the day. He was a starter in college, a reliever in the sox system and now is being converted back to starting. Interesting repertoire which needs a lot of work. As a sinker, slider guy could be a solid reliever, but in relief, his value will drop. Intriguing guy to keep an eye on though.

A
This is where the most promise lies. Bard has the stuff to be a major league CY candidate, but his location and repertoire need some serious work. Place is a young kid with power, which is not easy to find right out of HS. But his K rate and strike zone recognition need a ton of work. Johnson is the sox best lefty pitcher in the minors, but is coming off TJ surgery in 2005, so he should be handled lightly early on. Has a solid arsenal though. Egan is a solid power projection kind of guy, but his arrest on coke charges a yr and a half ago makes you wonder.

scaffolds
02-08-2007, 12:18 PM
what is your top 50? I saw sox prospects.com, but that is pretty out of date, IMO.

Just checked. You guys updated this recently, didnt you.

No, No I don't have nothing to do with Soxprospects.com, but i do have a thread of the Sox top 50 prospects in the minor league section of this page.

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
DIEHARD 2007 TOP 50 PROSPECTS
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF
32.) Christian Lara, SS
31.) Luis Soto, OF
30.) Mike James, P
29.) John Otness, C
28.) Nick DeBarr, P
27.) Andrew Pinckney, 3B

hey, when the top 25 come, do you guys want me to C&P the scouting reports? I will do so if I get permission from the mods here.

CrespoBlows
02-10-2007, 01:28 PM
DIEHARD 2007 TOP 50 PROSPECTS
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF
32.) Christian Lara, SS
31.) Luis Soto, OF
30.) Mike James, P
29.) John Otness, C
28.) Nick DeBarr, P
27.) Andrew Pinckney, 3B

hey, when the top 25 come, do you guys want me to C&P the scouting reports? I will do so if I get permission from the mods here.

:wtf:

Andrew Pickney?

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 02:06 PM
You're gonna for me to do it arent you?

He turns 25 in April.

He had a fantastic 2005 in A ball where he hit .311/.362/.535 but had a down yr last yr with a .255/.313/.420 mark. He will be the starting 3 in AA this yr, which will be his make or break yr.

Andrew Pinckney had perhaps the finest season of any Red Sox minor leaguer in 2005, when he led all Sox prospects in RBI while ranking second in homers and fourth in batting average. It didn’t take long last season for the Sox to figure out the success hadn’t gone to his head.

Pinckney performed solidly if not spectacularly last season at Single-A Wilmington, where he earned All-Star honors in the pitcher-friendly Carolina League and finished second on the Blue Rocks in doubles (31) and homers and third in RBI. He had only four hitless streaks of three games or longer.

In addition, Pinckney showed improvement on defense. He made 22 errors in 104 games at third base after committing 25 errors in 93 games at third in 2005.

“We saw some good things defensively,” Sox director of player personnel Mike Hazen said. “He works hard. It’s a matter of hard work and just refining those skills to make him an everyday third baseman.”

But Pinckney was not satisfied. His season was pockmarked by inconsistency: He hit .189 in April, .333 in May, .213 in June, .281 in July and .242 after Aug. 1. After enjoying a 20-game hitting streak in 2005, his longest hitting streak last year was eight games. In addition, Pinckney walked fewer times and struck out more often in 77 fewer at-bats than in 2005.

“I think, at times, he can be his own worst enemy in terms of being hard on himself,” Hazen said. “He expects perfection all the time.”

Not that the Sox were surprised: After all, as a 34th-round draft pick in 2004 out of Division III Emory University in Georgia—and someone who was pegged to open 2005 in extended spring training before an impressive performance in Ft. Myers earned him a spot at Single-A Greenville—Pinckney takes nothing for granted and plans to play until someone rips the jersey off his back.

“I am going to go until I either make it or I don’t make it,” Pinckney said in 2005. “I’m going to be here as long as I can—until I either do or don’t make it to the [majors]. There’s no more timeframe.”

Nor do the Sox appear in any hurry to get rid of him. Among third base prospects in the chain, Pinckney ranks behind only Chad Spann, and he should get a chance to replace Spann this season at the hot corner for Double-A Portland. While Spann appears the most likely internal option to replace Mike Lowell if the latter leaves as a free agent after the 2007, Pinckney can position himself for a callup in 2008 with an impressive performance this season.

“Overall we’re pretty pleased with what he did,” Hazen said. “He’s definitely going to have to show that same kind of improvement [this year].”

scaffolds
02-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Third base its the weakest position in the Red Sox system, Andrew Pinkney isn't just the #2 third base prospect on the system, Manuel Arrambaris who will play in Greenville this years is, Pinkney has some tools like a strong arm and has some pop on his bat, but he isn't a Red Sox top 50 propsect. the same can be said about John Otness, Otness has made some stride as a catcher after being a corner infielder, but his defense as a catcher isn't any better than average at best, as a hitter he can hit for average, but lacks power, he has always been old for the level that he has played. Otness would be playing in Portland this year and we need to see how he performs, but at this time he isn't a top 50 prospect.

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 02:57 PM
what is your top 50?

scaffolds
02-11-2007, 06:25 PM
what is your top 50?

You ask for it, here is.

After some adjustments;

50- Kris Negron SS
49- Claudio Arias LF
48- Luis Sumoza RF
47- Jeff Natale 2B
46- Reid Engel CF
45- Matt Goodson RHP
44- Jeff Corsoletti LF
43- Tom Hottovy LHP
42- Ryan Kalish CF
41- Tyler Weeden C
40- Moises Tejada SS
39- Angel Beltre CF
38- Dustin Richardson LHP
37- Chih-Hsien Chiang 2B
36- Mike Jones 1B
35- Chris Jones RHP
34- Luis Exposito C
33- Chis Turner LF
32- Manuel Arrambaris 3B
31- Aaron Bate 1B
30- Yahmed Yema OF
29- Miguel Socolovitch RHP
28- Jon Egan C
27- Michael Rozier LHP
26- Jose Capellan LHP

scaffolds
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
25- Christian Lara SS
24- Mark Wagner C
23- Ryan Phillips LHP
22- Jed Lowrie 2B
21- Lars Anderson 1B
20- Caleb Clay RHP
19- Carlos Fernandez LF
18- David Murphy CF
17- Kris Johnson LHP
16- Chad Spann 3B
15- Devern Hansack RHP
14- Luis Soto RF
13- Brandon Moss RF
12- Justin Masterson RHP
11- Kyle Jackson RHP
10- George Kotaras C
09- Bryson Cox RHP
08- Felix Doubront LHP
07- Daniel Bard RHP
06- Edgar Martinez RHP
05- Dustin Pedroia 2B
04- Jason Place RF
03- Michael Bowden RHP
02- Clay Buchholz RHP
01- Jacoby Ellsbury CF

AZBlue
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
If the Red Sox had a chance to make a major trade that would help the team, which player in the top 10 of Scaffolds' list would you give up if the other team said, "Pick one of these 10 to complete the trade"? For me, the choice would be very easy (Pedroia). I think that nine of the top 10 and Lars Anderson are the prospects with the most upside in the organization. I base that on potential, not past performance. Soto and Phillips are on the cusp in that catagory.

jacksonianmarch
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
you have a few DSL signees from last yr on that list. I know for the yankees lists, the only DSL signee is Montero on the top 50. Is the back end of the top 50 that weak that a bunch of DSL signees who have never hit in the DSL make it, or are those guys that good that they make the list squarely off talent?

jacksonianmarch
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
If the Red Sox had a chance to make a major trade that would help the team, which player in the top 10 of Scaffolds' list would you give up if the other team said, "Pick one of these 10 to complete the trade"? For me, the choice would be very easy (Pedroia). I think that nine of the top 10 and Lars Anderson are the prospects with the most upside in the organization. I base that on potential, not past performance. Soto and Phillips are on the cusp in that catagory.

ALWAYS give up the position prospects, especially the ones without high power potential before you deal pitching. I'd move Ellsbury and Pedroia before I deal the B's.

BSN07
02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
06- Edgar Martinez RHP

04- Jason Place RF

Those are the only ones and i'm iffy on Place because I don't know much about him.

Scaffolds, how good is Place? Is he a big time prospect with power or any big league tools?

ORS
02-13-2007, 08:41 AM
you have a few DSL signees from last yr on that list. I know for the yankees lists, the only DSL signee is Montero on the top 50. Is the back end of the top 50 that weak that a bunch of DSL signees who have never hit in the DSL make it, or are those guys that good that they make the list squarely off talent?
It's the ceiling vs. level argument again. Why don't you stop wasting your time reading the tea leaves? If you want to think of the system as weak, then just believe it and stop trying to fabricate confirmation.

ORS
02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree AZ, Pedroia would be my choice too. I'd even go so far as to add Kris Johnson and Justin Masterson to the list of people I'd keep over Pedroia based on potential. I think Dustin will be a solid MLB 2B, but not spectacular.

ORS
02-13-2007, 08:44 AM
06- Edgar Martinez RHP

04- Jason Place RF

Those are the only ones and i'm iffy on Place because I don't know much about him.

Scaffolds, how good is Place? Is he a big time prospect with power or any big league tools?
Place, for his age, has it all. He's got the potential to be a 5-tool player at the highest level. He's one to get excited about.

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
It's the ceiling vs. level argument again. Why don't you stop wasting your time reading the tea leaves? If you want to think of the system as weak, then just believe it and stop trying to fabricate confirmation.

ORS, I am not fabricating anything. My point is that as far as DSL classes go, the yankees have probably one of the strongest (2 consecutive championships) and from the reports I have been reading, they have some seriously high potential in that system, but only one DSL player makes the top 50. And that was Montero, the consensus top INTL signing in the world.

My question wasnt bullshit ORS. I wanted to know if Tejeda and the like are that good that they make the top 50 without playing a DSL game or is the sox back end of the system weak enough so that the potential of these far away DSL kids gets them a spot in the top 50.

I know a significant amount about the top 20 on the sox, and though it has some issues at the high levels, they have some serious talent there. After the top 20, it looks like the ceilings drops off significantly. This is where scaff can help shed a little light on things.

ORS
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Are you telling me you don't think Montero has a high enough ceiling to surpass 10 or so of the guys at the back of the Yankee rankings? I do. It all boils down to the same argument you have been reminded of time and time again. Ceiling vs. Level. Montero was the #1 Int'l signing, but Beltre and Tejada were both top-5's. If someone favors tools over level (which in some cases is just age/experience) then those type of players will make the back end of top-50's regardless of what level they have played thus far.

BSN07
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
How far is he from the ML?

ORS
02-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Place? He'll probably be in low-A this year, and he's young, just out of HS, so I don't see him jumping levels in a year like you see with the college kids. Sept call-up in '10 is probably an optimistic expectation.

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Are you telling me you don't think Montero has a high enough ceiling to surpass 10 or so of the guys at the back of the Yankee rankings? I do. It all boils down to the same argument you have been reminded of time and time again. Ceiling vs. Level. Montero was the #1 Int'l signing, but Beltre and Tejada were both top-5's. If someone favors tools over level (which in some cases is just age/experience) then those type of players will make the back end of top-50's regardless of what level they have played thus far.

See, that is what I wanted to see. I didnt know that about them and the complete lack of diehard's analysis on this has kept me in the dark. Fair point.

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Place? He'll probably be in low-A this year, and he's young, just out of HS, so I don't see him jumping levels in a year like you see with the college kids. Sept call-up in '10 is probably an optimistic expectation.

Place is a rare HS talent. He has MLB power but his strikeout rate and pitch recognition is his bane. He needs to be taken slowly.

BSN07
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
So maybe he will be ready to take over in RF when the Drew contract is up.

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
potentially. He is a long way out, but he has some serious tools.

BSN07
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Well he has 5 yrs to polish those tools.

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 10:57 AM
50.) Jordan Craft, P
49.) Jose Capellan, P
48.) Kris Negron, IF
47.) Mike Jones, 1B
46.) Josh Papelbon, P
45.) Jon Still, C
44.) Zach Daegas, OF
42.) Felix Doubront, P
41.) Tim Cox, P
40.) Yahmed Yema, OF
39.) Mark Wagner, C
38.) Barry Hertzler, P
37.) Jeremy West, 1B/DH
36.) Mike Rozier, P
35.) Randy Beam, P
34.) Jonathan Egan, C
33.) Reid Engel, OF
32.) Christian Lara, SS
31.) Luis Soto, OF
30.) Mike James, P
29.) John Otness, C
28.) Nick DeBarr, P
27.) Andrew Pinckney, 3B
26.) Andrew Dobies, P
25.) Ryan Kalish, OF

Hairps
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
06 - Edgar Martinez RHP

scaffolds
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Beltre and Tejada potentially are that good that they have to be included on the Sox top 50 prospects. For example Baseball America has them #20 and #22 that's way too high for now, just like they have Lars Anderson at #5 its way too high. The Sox system doesn't lack depth as a matter of fact there's only 3 or 4 prospect only my list that may not have a decent ceiling, but that they put up good numbers.

To answer the question on Jason Place, he one of the few Sox 's hitting prospects that are consider to be 5 tools player. I agree that Pedroia and Martinez are prospect that the organization could trade and it won't a big impact.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Sox.com to have Andrew Dobbie as the #26 prospect in the Sox system is like stealing money from its menbers.

RobZombie
02-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd have to say that Richard Lentz belongs on that list, especially ahead of guys like Hottovoy, Natale, and maybe Engel and Lara who really don't have much of a chance to be anything more than backups.

scaffolds
02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I'd have to say that Richard Lentz belongs on that list, especially ahead of guys like Hottovoy, Natale, and maybe Engel and Lara who really don't have much of a chance to be anything more than backups.

I do agree that Richard lentz has very good tools and potential, but at this time he isn't a top 50 prospect, specially after not having pitch much the last couple of years, but he could be a player on the rise in 2007.

scaffolds
02-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Scouts.com has as the Sox #20 prospect Chris Smith. Do i need to say anything else about this service?

jacksonianmarch
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
i just sent a scathing email to them. They suck pretty hard. Diehard magazine is a fucking joke.

jacksonianmarch
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
and like I said, the yankees one is VERY good and it seems to be in line with most other sites. The sox one is a joke.

jacksonianmarch
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I told them that my boy scaffolds said that their top 50 to this point is a joke and they are stealing money from the subscribers. And, I got banned.

scaffolds
02-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Craig Breslow at #18?????????

riverside sluggers
03-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Not related to the Sox top 50, but Foxsports Dayn Perry released his list of the top 100 prospects in baseball entering the 2007 season.

Red Sox

100. Michael Bowden, RHP, Red Sox
Acquired: 1st round, 2005, Waubonsie Valley HS (Aurora, IL)

Bowden boasts command of his fastball, has good breaking stuff and put up strong numbers last season in Low-A ball. On the downside, he doesn't have a changeup at this point, and his delivery is inconsistent. Still, he's one to watch as he reaches the higher levels.

62. Bryce Cox, RHP, Red Sox
Acquired: 3rd round, 2006, Rice

He's a power reliever who works low in the zone, makes guys miss and keeps the ball on the ground. Cox has dominated thus far as a pro, and it's possible he'll arrive in Boston for good before the All-Star break. The Sox have taken a liking to college closers in recent drafts, and Cox may be the best of them.

57. Dustin Pedroia, 2B, Red Sox
Acquired: 2nd round, 2004, Arizona State

There's a lot to like in the numbers, but most scouts see in Pedroia a limited upside. He's slated to open the season as Boston's starting second baseman. He'll provide good defense at the keystone, and his right-handed stroke should play well in Fenway. He makes contact with his line-drive swing and will take a walk on occasion. Pedroia won't hit for much power, but his overall offensive package is plenty good enough for a middle infielder.

49. Clay Buchholz, RHP, Red Sox
Acquired: 1st round, 2005, Angelina JC (Texas)

In 39 minor league starts, Buchholz boasts a 2.47 ERA and 185 strikeouts against only 42 walks in 160.1 innings. That's mostly because he has an outstanding changeup, his fastball and curve also grade out as plus offerings, and he does a great job of repeating his delivery. He'll see action in the high minors this season and could be in the Boston rotation to open the 2008 campaign. If he repeats his 2006 performance this season, then he'll be a top-10 prospect next year. Keep your eye on Buchholz.

44. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF, Red Sox
Acquired: 1st round, 2005, Oregon State

The power isn't there for Ellsbury, but he does boast a career OBP of .391 in the minors. He also has excellent defense in center, an impressive line-drive stroke at the plate and tremendous speed on the bases. He won't hit for power at the highest level, but he has the skills and smarts to turn into a Brett Butler type. Needless to say, Brett Butler types are quite valuable.

riverside sluggers
03-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Yankees

95. Tyler Clippard, RHP, Yankees
Acquired: 9th round, 2003, J.W. Mitchell HS (Trinity, FL)

Clippard made good progress with his curve last season, but his fastball remains fringy by Major League standards. His changeup is solid, so he should be able to survive in the rotation. Clippard doesn't project as much more than a league-average innings guy, but that certainly has value.

78. Joba Chamberlain, RHP, Yankees
Acquired: 1st round, 2006, U. of Nebraska

Chamberlain throws a devastating fastball-slider combo, and he has excellent command on the mound. Holding him back at this point is an inconsistent changeup (a fairly common dilemma among minor league starting pitchers) and occasional issues with his weight. He signed too late last year to pitch, so he'll likely make his pro debut this season in the Florida State League.

58. Dellin Betances, RHP, Yankees
Acquired: 8th round, 2006, Grand Street HS (New York City)

Big pitcher's frame, high-90s fastball, makings of a three-pitch repertoire. He made only seven starts last season, but Betances dominated in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League (27 strikeouts, seven walks, 1.16 ERA in 23.1 innings). His mechanics need improvement, but the upside is undeniable. Without question, he's one to watch. Combine his potential with his New York roots and you might be looking at the next Yankee superstar.

18. Jose Tabata, CF/RF, Yankees
Acquired: Non-drafted free agent, 2005, Venezuela

Batted .298 and showed a good command of the strike zone last season in the Sally League. That's highly impressive for a player who playing full-season ball despite being 17 for most of the year. He's polished at the plate with advanced pitch-recognition skills and a quick bat through the zone. On the downside, it's not certain how much power he'll display at the higher levels, and he's not going to stick in center. Overall, however, his hitting skills are deeply impressive considering his age.

4. Philip Hughes, RHP, Yankees
Acquired: 1st round, 2004, Foothill HS (Santa Ana, CA)

The best pitching prospect in baseball blew away the Eastern League last season (116 innings, 2.25 ERA, 138 whiffs, 32 walks, five homers allowed) despite being much younger than his peer group. Hughes has command of three pitches, with deceptive movement on each of them. He's had some arm problems in the past, but he was healthy for all of 2006. Barring injury, he's a future Cy Young contender.

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 06:42 AM
very surprised Humberto Sanchez missed the list. He was a top 40 prospect at the end of last season, but ever since being dealt to NY, he has dropped off the lists. And this is before he had his forearm strain.

NateGrey
03-26-2007, 03:22 PM
.. Tabata @ 18 = A Joke ..

jacksonianmarch
03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Tabata is absolutely nasty. Remember, he justed turned 18 and lit up ST and long season A ball.

example1
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Tabata is absolutely nasty. Remember, he justed turned 18 and lit up ST and long season A ball.

That's true, he did go 6 for 14 in Spring Training including a home run off of Jeff Harris, a 32 year old pitcher with 57 career IP. Excuse me if I don't pick up Tabata on my fantasy team just yet.

I kind of kid, Jacksonian. Any time I hear someone that young being compared to Manny Ramirez I do worry a little bit. But don't point to spring training stats as if they mean anything with only 14 ABs. You would get on us if we said the same thing about, say, Lars Anderson or Jason Place, especially if you took the time to research how much PT the guy got when supposedly lighting up spring training (plus, I had to figure out who the hell Jeff Harris is!! :) ).