PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox international scouting and signing

scaffolds
01-26-2007, 07:55 PM
The Red Sox scouting of amateur international baseball talent and signing of them is always very interesting to follow. The Sox have signed the following international baseball players in the last seven months.

In the early signing period ( from July second to the end of August) for international baseball players the Red Sox signed;

From the Dominican Republic;

Angel Beltre CF
Moises Tejada SS
Manuel Rivera LHP
Stormy Pimental RHP
Juan Bonafacio OF
Wilfredo Pichardo 2B
Emilio Valera RHP

From Venezuela

Pedro Chourio 3b
Anthony Alvarado RHP

From Australia

Michael Lennox 3B

From September to Date the Sox have signed the following players;

From Australia

Dennis Neuman

From Latin America

Randy Consuegra *
Alberto Gonzalez
Eddy Lora
Ernesto Reyes
Maykol Sanchez

* Conuegra is a RHP Colombian who turned 17 yrs recently 6-2 170 and was signed for a $100,000 bonus has a fastball of 89-90 that tops out at 92 with a good change up and curve ball.

scaffolds
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
The Sox after signing 4 players from Taiwan in 2005 didn't sign any in 2006.

phillysoxfan115
01-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Scaff,

Do you have any info on any of the players signed from September to date besides Consuegra?

scaffolds
01-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Philly; I am working to get more info and should get some soon, but for now that is the information that i have.

scaffolds
01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Consuegra becomes the second Colombian in the Sox system after the release of Claudio Batista this fall. Batista and Jorge Rodriguez who opened some eyes in the 2006 GCL season where signed by former Sox's Colombia scout Alvaro Blanco. Blanco left the organization in 2005 and was replaced by Santiago Prada last Spring. Consuegra becomes the first player that Prada has signed as a scout for the Sox.

templeusox
01-31-2007, 01:57 AM
I think Dennis Neuman is from Curacao.

NateGrey
02-01-2007, 07:07 AM
..Dennis Neuman = http://www.littleleague.org/series/2002divisions/llbb/teams/caribbean/Dennisneuman.htm ? ..

scaffolds
02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
The Sox in the 2006 Spring signed Jose Cabrera to scout Mexico which was the first time in the last 5 years that the Sox had a scout in Mexico, also they signed Jaime Pringle to scout Panama to replace former ML Ramon Webster who had left the organization in 2006, Pringle is originally from Cuba, but neither Pringle or Cabrera has signed a player for the Sox up to now.

NateGrey
02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
.. Via Soxprospects

Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima are not the only international players the Red Sox signed this off season. Since the end of the 2006 season, Boston has signed six international amateurs: RHP Randy Consuegra from Colombia (pictured, left), RHP Alberto Gonzalez and C Maykol Sanchez from Venezuela, 1B Eddy Lora and LHP Ernesto Reyes from the Dominican, and RHP Dennis Neuman from Curacao. Not a great deal of information is available about these players, except that Consuegra got $100,00 signing bonus after receiving competing offers from the Mets, Mariners, and Twins. His fastball sits in the low 90s, and he also possesses a good changeup and curveball. He is the godson of Edgar Renteria. Additionally, some locals may be familiar with Dennis Neuman, a former star of the Little League World Series for the Netherlands Antilles, who shut down the Worcester, MA team in the 2002 consolation game. The Red Sox landed Neuman after he also received offers from the Dodgers, Pirates, and Braves.

scaffolds
02-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Soxprospect that information from my post.

scaffolds
02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Corrections and update.

Dennis Neuman is a 17 yrs RHP from Curasao, not from Australia like posted before.

Alberto Gonzalez is a 18 yrs RHP from Venezuela

Maykol Sanchez is a 18 yrs catcher from Venezuela

Ernesto Reyes is a 16 yrs LHP from the Dominican

Eddie Lora is a 17 yrs firstbaseman from the Dominican. Lora also has spend sometimes living in the US.

Out of this group Gonzalez is the oldest he turns 19 yrs in mid April.

borisman
02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
scaff, what's the latest on the 2 bonus babies from last year, Beltre and Tejeda? I seem to remember you saying that Beltre was much better in games/workouts than Tejeda when you were at soxprospects. Are they scheduled to come over to the US soon and stay for extended spring training and then play in the GCL?
It'll be nice to read your very informative posts again.

scaffolds
02-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Thank you for your nice words, Beltre is the top international prospect signed by the Red Sox, but Tejada is also a very good prospect, Spring training is the key where both will be playing in this Spring and both should be in Ft Myers very soon. Ido expect both of them to be in Extended Spring training and play in the 2007 GCL.

scaffolds
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
According to Baseball people in the Dominican who are familiar with LHP Ernesto Reyes who signed with the Red Sox recently, they compare Reyes to Arbert Jimenez who had an excellent DSL for the Sox in 2006.

borisman
02-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Follow-up on Albert Jimenez.
His record from last year:
2-1, 0.99ERA, 54.1IP, 40H, 10BB, 50K

His listed weight is 140lbs.

scaffolds
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Follow-up on Albert Jimenez.
His record from last year:
2-1, 0.99ERA, 54.1IP, 40H, 10BB, 50K

His listed weight is 140lbs.

That was how much he weight when he first signed back two years ago, he's now around 165-170. He is going to be in Ft Myers for Spring training very soon, it will be interesting to see how he's developed.

scaffolds
02-03-2007, 06:34 PM
As it stands now the the Red Sox 2007 DSL roster looks like this;

Catchers:

Alan Atacho (V) 19 yrs * (3)
Marcial de La Nieve (D) 18 yrs (2)
Maykol Sanchez (V) 19 yrs (1)

First Baseman:

Eddy Lora (D) 18 yrs (1)*
Nelson Bonilla (D) 19 yrs (3)

Second baseman:

Wilfredo Pichardo (D) 16 yrs *
Jackvil Avila (V) 18 yrs (2)

Shortstop:

Luis Diaz (D) 18 yrs* (2)
Jackvil Avila
Victor Torrez 20 yrs (D) (3)

Third base:

Pedro Chourio (V) 16 yrs*
Eudi Cordones (D) 20 yrs (2)

Left Field:

Roberto feliz (D) 19 yrs* (2)
Juan Bonifacio (D) 17 yrs (1)

Center field:

Ronald Bermudez (V) 19 yrs* (2)
Miguel Mereguildo (D) 18 yrs (2)

Right field:

Wilin Santana (D) 18 yrs* (2)
Jose Sierra (V) 19 yrs (2)

Pitchers:

Cesar Cabral LHP 18yrs (D)# (2)
Brandon Ulloa RHP 18yrs (D)# (2)
Manuel Rivera LHP 16 yrs (D)#
Anthony Alvarado RHP 16 yrs (V)#
Stormy Pimental RHP 16 yrs (V)#
Randy Consuegra RHP 17 yrs (COL) (1)
Ernesto Reyes LHP 16 yrs (D)
Dennis Neuman RHP 17yrs (CU) (1)
Alberto Gonzalez RHP 19yrs (V) (1)
Edwin Lopez LHP 19 yrs (D) (3)
Raul Mayorca LHP 20 yrs (V) (3)
Emilio Valera RHP 20 yrs (D)(2)
Yeiper Castillo RHP 18 yrs (V) (2)
Victor de la Cruz RHP 18yrs (D) (2)
Gustabo Zurraga RHP 18 yrs (V) (2)
Anataner Batista RHP 18 yrs (D) (2)

Age is at the start of the DSL
D= Dominican, V= Venezuelan CO= Colombian CU= Curasao
* project starter
# projected starting pitcher
( ) number of years in the DSL

I doubt very much that this will be the final roster going into the 2007 DSL season which some more players maybe signed and some will be released.

scaffolds
02-07-2007, 08:45 PM
If anyone is a international scouting fan like i am, will know the number of Cuban players that has been signed this fall, below its a list of Cuban players who haven't signed, but did played in the Nicaraguan Winter league.

OF- Ryde Rodriguez 6-2 230 S/H 19 yrs
RHP- Yamel Guevara 6-2 210 23 yrs
RHP- Dunieske Flores 6-6 195 19 yrs
RHP- Esdibel Benitez 6-3 200 22 yrs
RHP- Maykel Nenninger 6-3 200 24 yrs
RHP- Julio Villalon 6-2 175 28 yrs
OF- Markel Jova 6-0 205 R/R 26 yrs
IF - Yosvany Almario 5-11 190 R/R 26 yrs

One of the problem with Cuban players is that they haven't play in an organized league for about 2 years before they played in the Nicaraguan league. the dictatorship goverment of Castro won't let play players that might wanted leave the island.

scaffolds
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
A international player who hasn't signed (at least to my knowledge) is Dominican catcher Moises Montero. Montero is a 6-2 215 17 yrs right handed hitter, as a catcher Montero has a gun for an arm and also a quick release.

The early phase ( July second to end of August) of international scouting has been very popular and so let me drop a couple of names to watch LHP Israel Perez and RHP Jesus Valdez-Adames. Perez is 6-2 180 while Valdez-Adames is 6-3 170, they are both Dominican who just turned 16 yrs and have a fastball in the 87 range.

AZBlue
02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Scaffolds, there are six (five?) players on the Dominican roster who are 16 years old. Are any of them projected to be outstanding prospects?

Second baseman, Wilfredo Pichardo (D),

Third baseman, Wilfredo Pichardo (D), (same player as above?)

Pitcher, Manuel Rivera LHP (D),

Pitcher, Anthony Alvarado RHP (V),

Pitcher Stormy Pimental RHP (V) and

Pitcher Ernesto Reyes LHP (D).

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I'll see if I can dig anything up for you on scout.com. Meanwhile, scaff has his shit together on this stuff, so I defer to him.

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 01:04 PM
scout has nothing on the above. I heard baseball latino has something, you may want to check that out.

I am not sure why diehard doesnt do DSL scouting reports. Pinstripes plus does. And they have fantastic scouting reports on most of the kids who have put in some time in the DSL. I havent seen anything like that on diehard.

And for scaff, the scout.com experience is a pay site yet the diehard sox site is lacking something fierce. Pat Teale does the PP site and he has some excellent behind the scenes stuff. I honestly think that the stuff you send out in this link is better than what you can get for 7 bucks a month on the diehard site. You should see what is out there for you. They need someone to deliver the top 50 the right way as well as intriguing DSL players. They lack that deeply on the sox side.

scaffolds
02-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Scaffolds, there are six (five?) players on the Dominican roster who are 16 years old. Are any of them projected to be outstanding prospects?

Second baseman, Wilfredo Pichardo (D),

Third baseman, Wilfredo Pichardo (D), (same player as above?)

Pitcher, Manuel Rivera LHP (D),

Pitcher, Anthony Alvarado RHP (V),

Pitcher Stormy Pimental RHP (V) and

Pitcher Ernesto Reyes LHP (D).

Pichardo is a second baseman, Pedro Chourio who is also 16 yrs, but Venezuelan is the third baseman.

Like you know not one knows for sure how 16 yrs would handle themselves, but in pure baseball talent Chourio is the best hitter and Rivera the best pitcher.

scaffolds
02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
scout has nothing on the above. I heard baseball latino has something, you may want to check that out.

I am not sure why diehard doesnt do DSL scouting reports. Pinstripes plus does. And they have fantastic scouting reports on most of the kids who have put in some time in the DSL. I havent seen anything like that on diehard.

And for scaff, the scout.com experience is a pay site yet the diehard sox site is lacking something fierce. Pat Teale does the PP site and he has some excellent behind the scenes stuff. I honestly think that the stuff you send out in this link is better than what you can get for 7 bucks a month on the diehard site. You should see what is out there for you. They need someone to deliver the top 50 the right way as well as intriguing DSL players. They lack that deeply on the sox side.

Thank You, I don't see how anyone would be paying for those rankings, Scout.com can't handle the domestic stuff, I don't want to see if they had to do the Latin leagues.

jacksonianmarch
02-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Thank You, I don't see how anyone would be paying for those rankings, Scout.com can't handle the domestic stuff, I don't want to see if they had to do the Latin leagues.

not for the sox they cannot. I'd highly recommend it for NY though. PT is a damn good reporter and scout. But the guys who run diehard suck it hard.

AZBlue
02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Scaffolds, thanks for pointing out that I incorrectly copied Pichardo's name twice.

scaffolds
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
The Australian baseball web pages are reporting that the Red Sox have signed Australian RHP David Harriott. Hariott is 6-2 174 born on 2/ 18 /90.

AZBlue
02-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice story of David Harriott:

http://www.baseballagent.com.au/Players_News_Pages/Harriott.htm

Cityofchampions33
02-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Nice story of David Harriott:

http://www.baseballagent.com.au/Players_News_Pages/Harriott.htm

yeah, i heard about this guy, any scouting reports on him yet?

mrsoxprospect
02-15-2007, 11:38 PM
yeah, i heard about this guy, any scouting reports on him yet?

He has a brief scouting report on him on soxprospects.com but he is not coming over to the states until next year.

scaffolds
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
He has a brief scouting report on him on soxprospects.com but he is not coming over to the states until next year.

Soxprospects.com got the information from the same link that AZBlue got his.

scaffolds
02-24-2007, 11:37 AM
A correction on a earlier post LHP Ernesto Reyes isn't Dominican like posted, but Venezuelan.