PDA

View Full Version : Mariano gives "Schilling-esque" comment on free agency

riverside sluggers
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6467958

Mariano has stated that if he doesnt get the respect he deserves, his contract extended or resigned at end of year, he will move on to another team. Of course its obvious sometime a deal will be done between the Mariano & New York. Just odd to hear this coming from him.

The 07 offseason will also include Posada entering free agency, and Arod has an out clause. He'll probably use that if he tanks in the playoff & the Yanks dont advance

jacksonianmarch
02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
This happens every time he gets close to FA. Cashman just wants to see if that elbow heals. He is the one player that I couldnt live with watching play for someone else.

RedSoxRooter
02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Bernie will probably play elsewhere this year.

jacksonianmarch
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I dont think he will.

Optimist
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
I know what you mean. I read his comments yesterday and it just didn't sound like Mo.

ARod2212
02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Much ado about nothing. Mariano isn't leaving. Don't be a stupid.

HeadOfSoxNation
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure if I mentioned this any where already...but a guy my dad works with is really best friends with Joe Nathan. Apparently at All-Star weekend, Torre told JN not to sign any long-term extensions because Steiny and Cashman had named him personally as Mo's successor in the future.

Who knows, maybe Mo for another year or two? When's Nathan's contract up? :dunno:

jacksonianmarch
02-13-2007, 10:55 PM
that is tampering.

HeadOfSoxNation
02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Well I mean, it wasn't anything formal...just dugout chatter I guess.

riverside sluggers
02-14-2007, 04:40 AM
If the Angels dont lock up K-Rod before he hits free agency, he will be Mo's successor

jacksonianmarch
02-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I hope not. I dont like that violent motion, it has Tommy John written all over it. Nathan would be a good sign, but Mo should be here through 2009, the first season in the new stadium. He has said he wants to close in the new stadium, the yankees want him closing in the new stadium, and I sure as hell want him closing in the new stadium. I have a feeling that would be his final yr.

riverside sluggers
02-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Damn Mo... This is really unlike his character

rotoworld.com

Mariano Rivera said the Yankees won't get any sort of discount if they wait until free agency to attempt to re-sign him.

Even though he's upset with how the Bernie Williams situation has been handled, it's surprising that Rivera has gone to the media with his contract issues. The 37-year-old is still hoping that something will get done this spring, though GM Brian Cashman said he'd rather wait until the end of the year. "The Yankees will not have an advantage," he said. "Everyone will have a shot." That apparently includes the Red Sox. However, it's hard to imagine Rivera finishing his career anywhere other than the Bronx.

CrespoBlows
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I will do a fucking back-flip, felate a hot iron, and sit on a German WWI helmet if the Red Sox sign Rivera.

I might actually die from excitement.

TGov
02-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I will do a fucking back-flip, felate a hot iron, and sit on a German WWI helmet if the Red Sox sign Rivera.

if that happened i would be sooo pissed off but at the same time, i would laugh my ass off...

jacksonianmarch
02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
he is a bit upset over the Bernie situation. Mo will be taken care of.

Mr Crunchy
02-15-2007, 09:07 AM

pay attention here people
when a man threatens to felate a hot iron and ride the pith helmet hes sincere about his business

in yesterdays ny daily they showed the stiffs the yanks paid more than rivera and then across the league
gil meche is getting more money than rivera this year and cashman wants to wait this out to november??

good
i hope rivera thinks of his future and shuts it down around august 10th

BSN07
02-15-2007, 09:11 AM
"You never know"was the quote he gave reporters from his car when asked if he be pitching in Boston next yr. Just to see some of NYY fans faces when they read that would have een hilarious.

rician blast
02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
He's playing the "respect card"...straight out of the Pedro Martinez book of negotiation.

I can't tell you how thrilled I'd be if the Yankees fkd this up and lost him. Sh*t, if he ever ended up in Boston it'd be monumental.

However, Bernie also said he'd consider Boston several years ago...then after jacking up his price to the NYY he signed there and said he never really intended to play anywhere else, so my guess is Mariano stays put, too.

Mr Crunchy
02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
kirby puckett did the same thing
then he tuned up his wife while eating his way into a diabetic coma

rivera would solve a lot of problems here

ARod2212
02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Again, Rivera isn't going anywhere. Mariano Rivera is a centerpiece of the organization, and a productive member of the franchise. Bernie Williams isn't even a spare part at this point. Money won't be an issue, he's just trying to get his big contract.

I'll stop watching baseball if Rivera pitches for Boston.

Mr Crunchy
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll stop watching baseball if Rivera pitches for Boston

so its the name on the back of the jersey you root for?
rivera didnt do a schilling
schilling flat out said hed pitch anywhere but ny
rivera made it clear that he would pitch in boston

i know the likely hood of this happening is improbable but i also like to think that mariano is feeling disrespected being paid less than gil fucking meche and i could see the resentment building just as andy petitte did 3 years ago

BudLight
02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
The Yanks should have addressed the Mo extension a long time ago, especially in light of not signing Bernie. There still are, believe it or not, some Yankee fans who believe in taking care of those who have done so much to make the team successful. Mo certainly leads that cast. As for Bernie, I hate to see him go, but by the same token, I understand the direction the Yankees are headed in and his skills at this point do not mesh with that direction. It would be great if he retired a Yankee and took a position with the organization in the development of the minor league outfielders.

Mr Crunchy
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
bernie is awful now
but fucking around with rivera before the season starts is a sure sign of stupidity on cashmans end
real fucking stupid to have the best pitcher arguably in the franchises history be left out to dry as the scatine in baseball fly past him in earnings.

this isnt a declining petey martinez we're discussing
we're talking about the best relief pitcher in the game who continues to dominate

theyre playing with fire and i for 1 am enjoying the spectacle

rician blast
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
and i could see the resentment building just as andy petitte did 3 years ago

Was thinking about this very point this a.m. The Yanks fkd Pettitte 3 yrs ago and he was pissed...and he comes back saying:

"Everything's kind of the same," Pettitte said. "It feels like I never left."

Either he has a short memory, or he is disengenuous or $16m was way more than ANY other team was going to pay him. Take yer pick.

BudLight
02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Was thinking about this very point this a.m. The Yanks fkd Pettitte 3 yrs ago and he was pissed...and he comes back saying:

"Everything's kind of the same," Pettitte said. "It feels like I never left."

Either he has a short memory, or he is disengenuous or $16m was way more than ANY other team was going to pay him. Take yer pick.

or.... he saw how badly the Astros did in addressing their needs this off-season and jumped while he could.

Mr Crunchy
02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
this offseason was successful for boston
its also successful for the columbus skip jacks too as theyve improved

im looking forward to rivera being out with a strained ass after the break

BudLight
02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
this offseason was successful for boston
its also successful for the columbus skip jacks too as theyve improved

Crunch

Have I told you lately -- faaaak U

VA Sox Fan
02-15-2007, 03:16 PM

That sounds more like a Pavano injury! :lol:

Jon_Papelboner
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I know it seems like a no-brainer to give mo an extension but I'm not so sure that it is. Isn't he around 37? It sounds like heresy but it is possible that doesn't close out games as well in the near future.

As for Posada, give him an extension I guess, although he's getting up there in age as well.

Get rid of A rod as soon as possible.

ARod2212
02-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll stop watching baseball if Rivera pitches for Boston

so its the name on the back of the jersey you root for?
rivera didnt do a schilling
schilling flat out said hed pitch anywhere but ny
rivera made it clear that he would pitch in boston

i know the likely hood of this happening is improbable but i also like to think that mariano is feeling disrespected being paid less than gil fucking meche and i could see the resentment building just as andy petitte did 3 years ago
It's not in protest, I'm showing how sure I am the guy is not going to Boston. Mariano will not pitch for the Red Sox. I'm not going to push it further, I'm not really worried about it.

Rivera just wants to get paid, and says he won't act bitchingly as Bernie did. Good for him.

ARod2212
02-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Get rid of A rod as soon as possible.
HAH... no. There would be no right handed power in the lineup, and it's just stupid to want to get rid of the guy. He's one of the best players in baseball, I want to keep him. This get rid of A-Rod shit is getting really out of hand.

I wish we had Troy Glaus at third! He hit .252, but he's got a World Series ring!

rician blast
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Rivera just wants to get paid, and says he won't act bitchingly as Bernie did. Good for him.

help me out here...When did Bernie act "bitchingly"?

Mr Crunchy
02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
once i hear the player use the word respect i think of him in another uniform
see mo vaughn petitte and pedro for further

rician blast
02-16-2007, 03:59 PM
they gotta give the Panamian Electrocutor his due respect

Jon_Papelboner
02-16-2007, 10:52 PM
they gotta give the Panamian Electrocutor his due respect

That's s0o0o0 funney.

ARod2212
02-25-2007, 05:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2779127

riverside sluggers
02-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Funny, I saw the same article 2 years ago about Johnny Damon

Not saying that there is even a remote chance of him joining the Sox or any other team for that matter

TheKilo
02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Funny, I saw the same article 2 years ago about Johnny Damon

Not saying that there is even a remote chance of him joining the Sox or any other team for that matter

Comparing Damon's credibility to Mo's is a bit of a stretch.

I respect the hell out of Mo, and never really did for Damon. Even when he was here.

ARod2212
02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Pettitte said it 4 years ago as well. And he stood by it, even though he was offered more money by the Sox. Just because one guy is full of it doesn't mean other guys are.

riverside sluggers
02-26-2007, 03:59 AM
Pettitte said it 4 years ago as well. And he stood by it, even though he was offered more money by the Sox. Just because one guy is full of it doesn't mean other guys are.

I hope you saw my next comment in my post before

Gom
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Mariano goes nowhere. Everyone with a shred of intelligence knows that. Certain players will not switch. That's like Jeter going to the Sox, or Ortiz/Varitek coming to the Yankees.

I'm actually surprised the Sox haven't made some noise about Bernie Williams, for no other reason than to embarrass the Yankees.

TheKilo
02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm actually surprised the Sox haven't made some noise about Bernie Williams, for no other reason than to embarrass the Yankees.

They don't want Trot Nixon version 2.0?

Mr Crunchy
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
the best move the sox didnt make was getting bernie at 80M

ARod2212
02-27-2007, 07:58 PM
the best move the sox didnt make was getting bernie at 80M His numbers after he signed his Yankee contract from '99-'02 were phenomenal. '03-'04 were servicable, and '05 was below average. But I can't see how you can say he'd have been a bad signing. Not only was he very good for a stretch of the contract, you would have taken him away from the team that won the division all those years.

Mr Crunchy
02-28-2007, 09:02 AM
define phenomonal?
i dont see it
we got damon for 6M per
1/2 of bernie money

outside of mo vaughn and recently pedro martinez
the non signing of bernie was huge for the sox

ARod2212
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
define phenomonal?
i dont see it
we got damon for 6M per
1/2 of bernie money

outside of mo vaughn and recently pedro martinez
the non signing of bernie was huge for the sox

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willibe02.shtml

OPS+ of 157, 136, 140, 143 is phenomenal. You're telling me Boston wouldn't have fared better in the '99 ALCS if Bernie was patrolling centerfield for them instead of the Bombers. We won two more World Series after we locked him up, and he was a key contributer.

The end of the contract he became very average, but I have no regrets keeping Bernie at that price, and I think the Yankees are very lucky he didn't bolt.

Mr Crunchy
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
if they gave bernie that money the sox wouldnt have gotten damon
they definetly wouldnt have gotten manny for that matter
those were the john harrington days of ownership
not the current men who spend a lot more freely

1999??
they wouldve lost that series to ny in any case with ramon martinez as their their #2 and rod beck as a pivotal man in the pen