PDA

View Full Version : Abreu, Sanchez injured

jacksonianmarch
02-26-2007, 02:07 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/blog/2007/02/more_medical_updates.html

Looks like Abreu strained an oblique and will miss a week or two. This could possibly keep him out of the first week or so of the season if it persists.

Humberto Sanchez, the top flight minor league pitcher the yankees got from detroit will have an MRI after experiencing forearm pain for the second bullpen in a row.

Pavano has a bone bruise on his foot and is expected to be put on light duty for a little while.

BudLight
02-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Does Cashman still have Bernie's phone number?

jacksonianmarch
02-26-2007, 02:09 PM
hahaha. It doesnt sound serious. It isnt as serious as it would be for a pitcher. But they say 1-2 weeks, but they will be cautious and he may not be ready by the time the season starts.

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 02:12 PM
is it a contract year for abreu?

jacksonianmarch
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
the yankees hold an option for 2008

Gom
02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Normal aches and pains. Like Matsuzaka coming into camp overweight, Manny showing up at his leisure, etc.

TheKilo
02-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Normal aches and pains. Like Matsuzaka coming into camp overweight, Manny showing up at his leisure, etc.

Those aren't really "aches and pains"

Didn't Pujols miss almost a month with an oblique last year?

ORS
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
hahaha. It doesnt sound serious. It isnt as serious as it would be for a pitcher. But they say 1-2 weeks, but they will be cautious and he may not be ready by the time the season starts.
Explain this one Mr. Web-MD. How is not as serious as it would be for a pitcher? Oh, that's right, Timlin's oblique is sore too. Makes sense. Fact is, the rotation of the body during the swing is one of the most stressful events to the oblique on the baseball field. Carry on.

jacksonianmarch
02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
because the majority of your swing in hitting is generated by your wrists. Pitchers use their entire core to deliver a pitch. And they do so 150 or so times a game and 35-50 times a bullpen.

ORS
02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
HAHAH. What a crock! The wrists? Fucking rich. Nobody is hitting the ball beyond the deep IF without getting their core involved. Look at a hitter take a swing. They gear up by coiling their back toward the pitcher before release and generate bat speed by uncoiling with a finish that leaves the shoulders open. It's all torsion on the abdomen. You make up more shit than anyone I've ever seen on the internet.

TheKilo
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
because the majority of your swing in hitting is generated by your wrists. Pitchers use their entire core to deliver a pitch. And they do so 150 or so times a game and 35-50 times a bullpen.

lol

Then why were Trot Nixon and Albert Pujols out so long with oblique injuries?

Because they are a tremendous part of a swing and take a while to heal. You really can't rehab them, if I remember correctly.

Just because your wrists get a strenuous workout every day doesn't mean they are the most vital parts of a hitter's swing.

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 02:56 PM
how does forearm tightness equate to manny showing up when he wants??

He Hate Me
02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
bring back Bernie.

Gom
02-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Silly argument. Can't swing the bat with any sort of effectiveness if EITHER the wrists or obliques are hurt.

Guys, it's spring training. You've all been here before. Tweaks, strains, etc., are all very normal as players get back into the swing of things. Relax.

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
bernie??
not another year of ""what a class act"" as he cant catch a ball that lands 20 feet behind him 10 feet in front of the warning track

look
i like bernie and i hate the yankees
i hope they sign him but he really sucks these days

TheKilo
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
bernie??
not another year of ""what a class act"" as he cant catch a ball that lands 20 feet behind him 10 feet in front of the warning track

look
i like bernie and i hate the yankees
i hope they sign him but he really sucks these days

Don't forget the curtain calls. I heard he got one last year for taking a shit during the 7th inning stretch.

ORS
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Don't forget the curtain calls. I heard he got one last year for taking a shit during the 7th inning stretch.
To be fair, I heard the thing did a complete lap around the bowl and required no wiping. I give myself curtain calls when I pass one of those.

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
exactly
i wonder if bernie goes to say detroit and wins a title

will ny throw him a parade like we did for ray bourque?

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 04:44 PM
To be fair, I heard the thing did a complete lap around the bowl and required no wiping. I give myself curtain calls when I pass one of those.

deservedly so
not having to wipe is awesome and deserves recognition

schillingouttheks
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
deservedly so
not having to wipe is awesome and deserves recognition

:lol: The past few posts are the rare ones that make me laugh at text on a computer screen.

riverside sluggers
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Gom, where did you hear that Matsuzaka came into camp overweight?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/02/24/1172345347_2762.jpg

26 to 6
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
No. Please tell me you didn't just say that...and with a straight face, nonetheless.

...whatever, this shouldnt be too big an issue. The way it's looking he should be fine. Might as well not get too worked up over it until there is something to worry about.

26 Reasons to Hate Us
02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Gom, where did you hear that Matsuzaka came into camp overweight?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/02/24/1172345347_2762.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2007/02/fatsuzaka_1.html

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2007/02/dicek_is_phat_and_fat.html

http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/dicek-has-some-spring-training-work-to-do-237304.php

riverside sluggers
02-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I see 2 blog sites and dirt dogs which isnt that much of a respectable news source.. Thats the only picture that he appearded to be kind of pudgy, sometimes pictures can make things look the way they arent in reality

Now Schilling... he's the one who showed up overweight

Youk Of The Nation
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Carl Pavano is being put on light duty...Not pitching since 2005 doesnt qualify as light duty?

a700hitter
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
because the majority of your swing in hitting is generated by your wrists. Pitchers use their entire core to deliver a pitch. And they do so 150 or so times a game and 35-50 times a bullpen.The most viloent part of the swing is the rotation of the torso. You cant hit with a bad oblique. You've got a better chance with a bad wrist.

Mr Crunchy
02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
turning with a rib or stomach injury is got to be incredibly painful
if youve broken a rib you know how bad laffing hurts,imagine trying to turn on a 95mph heater with anger in your swing??

example1
02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2007/02/fatsuzaka_1.html

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2007/02/dicek_is_phat_and_fat.html

http://deadspin.com/sports/baseball/dicek-has-some-spring-training-work-to-do-237304.php

That's funny, because he looks like he did last year and the year before. He threw a 103 pitch bullpen the other day and has since thrown two BP sessions. Humberto Sanchez, who is bigger and younger than Matsuzaka has severe soreness during both of the BP sessions he threw.... hmmm, I guess I'll take the pitcher with the beer gut and tremendous durability.

I think its hilarious that people call Matsuzaka fat. This guy is good, whether he is fat or not.

Oblique muscle = important for hitting and pitching

Abreu and Sanchez will likely be just fine. Thankfully (for those who bragged about how great Sanchez is).

jacksonianmarch
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
sanchez is day to day with elbow inflammation, but no tear.

TheKilo
02-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Way to completely dodge the issue, Jacko.

BSN07
02-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Matsuzaka- he hasalways been a little pudgy, if anything he looks to be in better shape.

Schilling- He's the one over weight.

Abreu- Jackson I can't believe you tried to pass that shit off as logical, you come up with some head scratchers all the time but this one takes the cake. Oblique injury's can be nagging so it is wise they are keeping eye on him for the next couple weeks.

Sanchez- That o so wonderful pickup you having been drueling over for the last couple of months or so is hurt. In all other reports I have seen it as a forearm strain not the elbow. Hmmmm could this be the same forearm strain that made Detroit shut him down for part of last yr? Now thats something to worry about.

Pavano- Is anyone really surprised?

26 Reasons to Hate Us
02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Sanchez- That o so wonderful pickup you having been drueling over for the last couple of months or so is hurt. In all other reports I have seen it as a forearm strain not the elbow. Hmmmm could this be the same forearm strain that made Detroit shut him down for part of last yr? Now thats something to worry about.

It was his elbow:

RHP Humberto Sanchez had an MRI that showed inflammation in his elbow but no ligament problem. He is day to day.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/02/26/injury-updates-from-brian-cashman/

BSN07
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Ya I see that now, the first story I read on it said it was his forearm, and it made me think back to when Detroit shut him down last yr around the trade deadline(his name was being mentioned in trade rumors), I thought then that detroit was trying to keep his injury low profile and I thought it turned back up. But I stand corrected.

A Little elbow flaring isn't too bad just as long as it doesn't persist like Liriano's did last yr and turn into a TJ surgery...

jacksonianmarch
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
if it is going to turn into TJ surgery, it should do so soon so he can get on the road to recovery.