PDA

View Full Version : Tough test for the Yankees coming up

ORS
06-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Have you seen the pitching matchups for the Yankees the next 5 games. Tonight might be their best chance to win....

6/13: Livan Hernandez vs. Mussina - Livan has been very good this year, clear advantage DBacks
6/14: Doug Davis vs. Andy Pettitte - Softy tossing lefty vs. the Yanks, clear advantage DBacks
6/15: Oliver Perez vs. Roger Clemens - Dominant lefty will give Yanks trouble, Rajah faces a good lineup, point Mets
6/16: Tom Glavine vs. Tyler Clippard - Enough said
6/17: El Duque vs. Wang - Wang has been good against some of the more impatient and weaker offenses, but that's not the Mets, and El Duque has been fantastic this year, small advantage Mets

Irony is fun.

jacksonianmarch
06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
and that is well beyond what I stated. Nice try though.

ORS
06-13-2007, 02:03 PM
It's hyperbole, just like yours. Any time you are stating a team pitching Jeff Francis has the advantage over the team pitching Josh Beckett, you have entered fantasyland.

jacksonianmarch
06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
It's hyperbole, just like yours. Any time you are stating a team pitching Jeff Francis has the advantage over the team pitching Josh Beckett, you have entered fantasyland.

did I say advantage? Read the post again ORS.

yankees228
06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Have you seen the pitching matchups for the Yankees the next 5 games. Tonight might be their best chance to win....

6/13: Livan Hernandez vs. Mussina - Livan has been very good this year, clear advantage DBacks
6/14: Doug Davis vs. Andy Pettitte - Softy tossing lefty vs. the Yanks, clear advantage DBacks
6/15: Oliver Perez vs. Roger Clemens - Dominant lefty will give Yanks trouble, Rajah faces a good lineup, point Mets
6/16: Tom Glavine vs. Tyler Clippard - Enough said
6/17: El Duque vs. Wang - Wang has been good against some of the more impatient and weaker offenses, but that's not the Mets, and El Duque has been fantastic this year, small advantage Mets

Irony is fun.

Good points, however I think you might be leaving a few things out. The Diamondbacks have a much weaker lineup than the Yankees, so whenever you're bringing up which pitcher has the advantage, that should be taken into consideration as well.

In terms of the Diamondback's Series:

6/13: Hernandez has been good this year, but Mussina was really good in two of his last three starts, and the rain delay probably hurt him against the Red Sox. Mussina, if he has good stuff tonight, should be able to feast on the Diamondback's impatient, young hitters. The OBP's of a lot of their hitters speak for themselves. In my opinion, it is far from a "clear advantage".

6/14: This is pretty simple. Andy Pettitte is the Yankee's ace. Once again, "clear advantage" is going too far.

In general the D-Backs have a below average lineup, which I've already said, and that has got to factor into the equation.

In terms of the Met's Series:

6/15: Oliver Perez has been dominant at times, including against the Yankees earlier this year, however he is also inconsistent. Two starts ago he was nothing better than average against the Diamondbacks, and in his last start he was nothing short of poor against the Tigers. If the dominant Perez shows up then the Mets have a great chance to win, but that is certainly an if. On top of that, the Mets are struggling offensively right now, and the bottom of their order which consists of Jose Valentine, Carlos Gomez, and Julio Franco/David Newhan (or whoever DH's), is nothing to write home about.

6/16: I'll concede that your assessment here, or lack thereof, was right on cue, however you should remember that Glavine has not been so good as of late. Right now the Yankees are hitting better than the Mets, and if Glavine doesn't show up than it is far from a given.

6/17: I also agree with your assessment here. This is a toss up, plain and simple.

yankees228
06-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Now that I read this, I'm not sure how serious you were being, as I was not aware of Jackson's original thread. With that being said, you can take my post as an assessment of the upcoming six games, instead of a rebuttal to your argument.

schillingouttheks
06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
He wasn't totally serious. Like he said, it was hyperbole.

yankees228
06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
He wasn't totally serious. Like he said, it was hyperbole.

Yeah...I didn't see his second post until I had already finished mine, nor had I seen Jackson's thread.

ORS
06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
did I say advantage? Read the post again ORS.
Advantage/Push, tomato/tomahto, either way, the only place it makes sense requires pixie-dust to get there.