Register now to remove this ad

Page 61 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part II

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    RJR was optioned to Pawtucket? WTF?

Just get rid of Abad.
    I believe once Barnes returns, Abad is gone.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Sometimes you just have to approach things differently. If you aren't scoring runs - have no real power threat- continually ground in to dp's - don't you just have to try something different now and then. The alternative is to just muddle along and repeat the words - it's all going to be ok - this team will hit. unfortunately while we wait for this to happen, good pitching performances are being wasted. move runners over into positions where they might have a chance to score. bunt, steal, hit and run - anything to get into a position to limit the number of double plays and allow us to score a run. Singles just don't seem to produce as many runs as the home run. it doesn't have to represent a permanent change in approach by any means but I think it is time to consider doing a little more to try and score a few runs.
    I thought for sure I would get some kind of response on this one but alas not so much as one word. Guess just muddling along is ok for this crowd. Couple things though once again. I don't need to hear Bogaerts talking about how much this team misses Papi. We all miss Papi. Shut your mouth and play the game. We understand that you are trying to hit. No need to apologize. What I would say is that if David was still there, I don't think that Pedroia would have run his mouth outside of the clubhouse and no one would be crying about the guys we don't have anymore. Who is leading the way?

Sometimes you just have to approach things differently. If you aren't scoring runs - have no real power threat- continually ground in to dp's - don't you just have to try something different now and then. The alternative is to just muddle along and repeat the words - it's all going to be ok - this team will hit. unfortunately while we wait for this to happen, good pitching performances are being wasted while our fans get even more wasted and tears from Chris Sale fill our beers. move runners over into positions where they might have a chance to score. bunt, steal, hit and run - anything to get into a position to limit the number of double plays and allow us to score a run. Singles just don't seem to produce as many runs as the home run. it doesn't have to represent a permanent change in approach by any means but I think it is time to consider doing a little more to try and score a few runs.
    I responded by fixing it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I responded by fixing it for you.
    thanks - i'm always up for a few beers. How did you do that anyway? Is that even legal? Can you do that with tax returns as well? You numbers guys scare me.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...70&position=2B

Dustin Pedroia only has 3 games so far with multiple hits. He has yet to reach base more than twice in one game. He's only had RBI in two games. He had one double and no triples or home runs.

This guy just sucks right now. His flapping gums aren't helping the situation either.

thanks - i'm always up for a few beers. How did you do that anyway? Is that even legal? Can you do that with tax returns as well? You numbers guys scare me.
    Technically, you can do anything you want with a tax return. Whether the IRS notices is a different question.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...70&position=2B

Dustin Pedroia only has 3 games so far with multiple hits. He has yet to reach base more than twice in one game. He's only had RBI in two games. He had one double and no triples or home runs.

This guy just sucks right now. His flapping gums aren't helping the situation either.
    He has been horrendous. At least the glove is still there. Imagine him with grenade hands like SS/3B? pfff

Technically, you can do anything you want with a tax return. Whether the IRS notices is a different question.
    I love accountants who say what do you want one plus one to be equal?

Xander is going to want a bank vault when he comes up for free agency. Is he really worth it?

Speaking of hitting singles at Fenway.....it may take 4 hits to score a run because of short left field. Ugh.

I grew up thinking we need power from corner positions, 1B, 3B, LF, RF and obviously DH in AL.

You fall in love with Sale. Everyone else is trade bait. That's as far as my loyalty goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love accountants who say what do you want one plus one to be equal?
    1 + 1 = 3 is just an immaterial difference in the grand scheme of things.

BTW, your kid has kick ass stirrups. Mine won't go with the high socks.

Deity
    1 + 1 = 3 is just an immaterial difference in the grand scheme of things.
    A clear cut example of the data painting the picture you want painted.

Deity
    I thought for sure I would get some kind of response on this one but alas not so much as one word. Guess just muddling along is ok for this crowd. Couple things though once again. I don't need to hear Bogaerts talking about how much this team misses Papi. We all miss Papi. Shut your mouth and play the game. We understand that you are trying to hit. No need to apologize. What I would say is that if David was still there, I don't think that Pedroia would have run his mouth outside of the clubhouse and no one would be crying about the guys we don't have anymore. Who is leading the way?
    Me, I blame Bill James and his stranglehold on Sox game tactics: never bunt, don't steal, etc, The result of that is that the Sox don't recruit or encourage great baserunners and probably don't even practice bunting--much anyway--which is stupid when you consider not only avoidance of GIDP, but also the benefits of bunting a way from the big shifts other teams use against some of our guys (as we do against theirs).

Right now the Sox are ranked 30th in dingers with 11--and the next worst team has 15, which is 36% (4/11) more than our guys. This is a serious power deficiency along with 25th in slugging percentage.

Thanks to Bill James, however, the Sox have no remedies for a power outage like this one. Forget a backup generator, we don't even have flashlights or lamps--the ability to bunt and/or run the bases. What did Al Pacino say in that movie? "I'm in the dark here."

Deity
    you might be right but i don't know to what extent they follow the the teachings of Mr.James. i really just believe that if something isn't working you better be able to have a plan B. Now, they very well might come out of this fine, I just think that from a coaching perspective it is your job to do what you can do to try to help their chances to win. That is a primary part of coaching.

Deity
    Let's put this current situation on a personal basis. Right now Chris Sale is ranked #3 in all of MLB in ERA and #2 in WAR for a pitcher. He has having a fantastic season. And his W-L record is 1-2 because this team cannot--so far, anyway--hit a lick. This in my judgment is criminal, and Sale should hire a lawyer to take this entire franchise to court and sue them for failure to support.

The subject of this thread is "A realistic View of 2017." To me it is realistic to say the hitting will likely improve, but not realistic to say, "things are going to be fine" because fine this year should mean running away with the AL East given that the Sox have the 4th best ERA in MLB right now.

Speaking of which, the Orioles and Yankees both have lower ERA's than the Sox and are both comfortably ahead of the Sox in the AL East race.

So whether and by how much the Sox hitting improves, the whole point of this exercise is not only to win games, but to win more games than the Orioles and Yankees.

Remember too that in the off season just about everyone was worried about the pitching this year even with the acquisition of Chris Sale. Then Price--who sure as heck hasn't been worth $30M/year anyway--got hurt in ST and the concern grew. But it turns out the other guys, especially Sale, have stepped up, but largely to no avail because the hitting, so far, anyway, stinks.

To me nothing defines the Sox current situation better than that Sale is the 2d best pitcher in MLB and has won one lousy game in 5 great starts. It's entirely appropriate, I might add, that Sale just happens to be tied for the team lead in wins--among starters, that is.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 04-28-2017 at 03:40 PM.