Register now to remove this ad

Page 72 of 335 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Scott Bora$$ is seeking $200M for JD Martinez. (Maybe 7-8 years?)
    I was born too long ago to see this kind of contract as realistic. Too long and too much money. The guy is good offensively now but certainly no defensive force. We probably can't get him for 3 or 4 years at most, but if so, we should let someone else take him on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I was born too long ago to see this kind of contract as realistic. Too long and too much money. The guy is good offensively now but certainly no defensive force. We probably can't get him for 3 or 4 years at most, but if so, we should let someone else take him on.
    I do not want to pay JD $200M, even if it was for 10 years, but if we miss out on JD or Stanton, I just know, in my heart of hearts, we'll end up with Hosmer.

Please, NO!

Scott Bora$$ is seeking $200M for JD Martinez. (Maybe 7-8 years?)
    Another reason why trading for Giancarlo is the priority
    other names i have posted under: none

Or wait until 2019 and go balls out for Harper or machado!

Ps; at least if machado is on our team, he is less likely to beat up and/or injure banana boy pedroia!

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Another reason why trading for Giancarlo is the priority
    Make a reasonable offer to JD and go get Stanton, if Bor-A$$ says no/
    Last edited by moonslav59; 11-09-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Jay Bruce reportedly seeking up to $90M/5!

I almost had a half-chewed peanut come out my nose as I burst out laughing.

If Bruce is wortth $90M/5, then JD is worth $270M/5.

Deity

If Jay Bruce gets that, I will declare free agency for myself and make a reasonable demand of $20mill for 3 years..

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    JD is the headliner bat on the market. But he's the type of hitter that whoever signs will regret and try to trade in 3 or 4 years.

He soon turns 31 years old, basically the same age Hanley Ramirez was when he signed in Boston. Prior to Boston, Hanley had a better career than JD. He came here for fewer years and less money than JD wants. And most fans want his shorter deal gone already, to the point where many advocate signing Lucas Duda or Logan Morrison in order to steal playing time and stop Hanley's option from vesting...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    JD is the headliner bat on the market. But he's the type of hitter that whoever signs will regret and try to trade in 3 or 4 years.

He soon turns 31 years old, basically the same age Hanley Ramirez was when he signed in Boston. Prior to Boston, Hanley had a better career than JD. He came here for fewer years and less money than JD wants. And most fans want his shorter deal gone already, to the point where many advocate signing Lucas Duda or Logan Morrison in order to steal playing time and stop Hanley's option from vesting...
    There's no question that Hanley had the better career before we signed him.

If you go by something like previous 3 or 4 seasons, though, Martinez has at least put up consistently strong offensive numbers for a decent stretch. Hanley was more like the human roller coaster.

Martinez is hitting the market at a time where power is premium and he’s the best power hitter on the market. After the Royals won the WS, there was a slight change in analytics where speed and defense got inflated dollar amount. After watching teams like the Yankees, Astros, LA and Chicago bludgeon their way to the championship series and see a thrilling power filled World Series, the GMs are digging the long ball. You’re not getting JD on a discount. He’s got Boras and that dink k owe what this kid is worth. His opening salvos are always bombastic. I think a 5 yr $135 mil or 6 yr $160 mil deal is about what he gets. He’ll sniff $200 mil, but fall well short

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Martinez is hitting the market at a time where power is premium and he’s the best power hitter on the market. After the Royals won the WS, there was a slight change in analytics where speed and defense got inflated dollar amount. After watching teams like the Yankees, Astros, LA and Chicago bludgeon their way to the championship series and see a thrilling power filled World Series, the GMs are digging the long ball. You’re not getting JD on a discount. He’s got Boras and that dink k owe what this kid is worth. His opening salvos are always bombastic. I think a 5 yr $135 mil or 6 yr $160 mil deal is about what he gets. He’ll sniff $200 mil, but fall well short
    Valid argument, but yet to be tested in the market.

Some GM's may be a little leery because not everyone was impressed by the big power surge and we just might see things go back in the other direction.

I'll predict Lester money for JDM - 6 years, 155 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'll predict Lester money for JDM - 6 years, 155 million.
    And I predict it’ll be Boston

I hate deal like this, but once again, what other choices do we have?

We can't trade the last of our prospects without risking even our staunchest plateau dwellers turning into cliff dwellers.

We could try to replicate 2013, but signing players to 3 years or less, but we don't have that many open positions in our line-up, especially when Pedey returns.

We need one top clean-up with power, and the FA market is limited.

JD Martinez
    Moustakas
    Santana

Take a flyer on...
    Duda
    Morrison
    Hosmer

Trades?
    Stanton (take the full salary to lessen the return needed?)
    Abreu
    ______?