Register now to remove this ad

Page 93 of 103 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1540

Thread: Christian Vazquez

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw777 View Post
    Thanks kimmi ��
    When i saw him in AA the year they told him to pay more attention to offense, his BB went up and the Ks went down. Took more pitches and usually made solid contact. Add in the passion hes has for the game and position and who he works with in the off season (Jose Molina) and i saw a great all around catcher in the making. Of course his was just an opinion, but he had that “IT” factor that made him stand out...to me anyway.
    So happy to see him back to full speed this year and able to help the Sox on BOTH sides of the game. I still believe hes a 280 320 400 hitter moving forward.
    Looks like were about to clinch the division
    GO SOX!!!
    I am happy to see Vaz back at full speed also. I fell in love with him in during his short stint in 2014 because of his defense and have pulling for him ever since.

Hopefully Vazquez catches 120 games this year. I think he is ready to take the next step. IMO he is already one of the best overall catchers in the game, hes just been limited with playing time. He is already a top 5 defensive catcher, his PB numbers were up this year, but I think that is an aberration.

Hopefully they find someone to replace Sandy Leon as the #2. Leon is an anchor in the lineup, and not in a good way. He is the definition of a black hole offensively and his defense doesn't make up for his offensive ineptness. I would probably accept Leon as a backup more, as long as he played 40 or less games a year.

If Vaz gets 120 games, I think Leon catches Sale and only Sale.

Sale had a 2.63 ERA with Leon behind the plate.

He pitched 209 out of 214.1 innings with Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

This makes perfect sense. But didn’t porcello pitch better with Leon behind the dish the year he won the cy young?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    This makes perfect sense. But didn’t porcello pitch better with Leon behind the dish the year he won the cy young?

The overall evidence is inconclusive, but he does seem to struggle more with Vaz....

CERA

2015:
    4.15 Hanigan (39 IP)
    4.47 Swihart (107)
    7.86 Leon (26)

2016:
    2.52 Leon (107 IP)
    3.45 Hanigan (16)
    3.64 Vaz (94)
    6.00 Swihart (6)

2017:
    4.47 Leon (163)
    5.36 Vaz (40)

I'd be fine with giving Porcello to Leon, but we might need more offense when Porcello pitches.

I get the impression that the FO is looking for Vaz to become a full time starter rather than having more of a platoon role with Leon. If that's the case, it makes perfect sense that Leon would catch only Sale. That is what I would like to see happen.

Vazquez had 11 passed balls last year. 4th most in 2017. Not what I was expecting from him.

I think CV has a great arm, but the rest of his defense is just ok. He's good enough if he can hit a little.

Note: Hannigan was the league leader in 2016. Swihart was 2nd in 2015.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think CV has a great arm, but the rest of his defense is just ok. He's good enough if he can hit a little.

Vazquez' pitch framing is better than 'just ok'.

Deity
    Vazquez's pitch framing was about as good as I have seen. Now I know that I don't follow other catchers much and I certainly don't pay attention to their advanced statistics but I watched a whole bunch of games and he really is good. I think that I have actually seen progression though. Early in the season last, i felt that he was actually trying to move balls back into the strike zone that maybe he didn't need to move. I felt at the time that it might have cost his pitchers some strikes. His framing is much more subtle IMO. I really thin that he is good - one of the best that I have seen.

I'm pretty sure most GMs view Vaz as an overall plus defender.

He can and should still get better.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Wasn’t hannigan catching a knuckleballer?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Wasn’t hannigan catching a knuckleballer?
    ...and VTek led MLB in PBs for two years in a row. He must have been a sucky defender!

LOL.

...and VTek led MLB in PBs for two years in a row. He must have been a sucky defender!

LOL.
    Tek was hella overrated.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Vasquez should make the next step to full starter - remember it took him a while to emerge last year, so I am not sure how much to hold the pitcher splits against him. He clearly hits well enough to not be a drag - I mean he is a mediocre hitter, but good enough for the defense to play. And he did improve at the plate over the season. But a .270 hitter who doesn't give away at-bats with his framing and arm is clearly a good starting C.