Register now to remove this ad

Page 167 of 335 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    If January is the new December, I guess we should see dave start to saddle up here soon.
    The Detroit Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract on January 26, 2012.

Dave Dombrowski was the general manager of the Tigers and Scott Boras was the agent for Fielder.

Some say Boras went above Dombrowski's head to Detroit owner Mike Illitch:

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/25/2...detroit-tigers

Here is an Over the Monster piece that appeared a month before the David Price signing:

https://www.overthemonster.com/2015/...-agency-trades
    Last edited by harmony; 12-27-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Detroit Tigers signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million contract on January 26, 2012.

Dave Dombrowski was the general manager of the Tigers and Scott Boras was the agent for Fielder.

Some say Boras went above Dombrowski's head to Detroit owner Mike Illitch:

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/25/2...detroit-tigers

Here is an Over the Monster piece that appeared a month before the David Price signing:

https://www.overthemonster.com/2015/...-agency-trades
    Interesting.

Thanks for the links.

What major alternative to signing JD Martinez do we have?

Sign a big-named pitcher? Darvish or Arrieta

Sign Moustakas and move Devers to DH? Nope.

Sign Lorenzo Cain and trade JBJ for Salazar? Nope.

Sign Cobb or Lynn plus Nunez? Hmmm...

To me, it's JD or Cobb & Nunez.

The FA market has been slow to get going. I still think Martinez is DD main target. I think January is going to be crazy! Something still may happen with Hanley? If JD doesn’t happen does Nunez return? I don’t think the Sox go to spring training as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    The FA market has been slow to get going. I still think Martinez is DD main target. I think January is going to be crazy! Something still may happen with Hanley? If JD doesn’t happen does Nunez return? I don’t think the Sox go to spring training as is.
    I'd say, if we don't sign JD, we'll go for a solid pitcher.

If dave could find a sucker to take hanley off our hands, I am confident he would pull the trigger on JD very quickly!

However since no sucker exists, can we please pass on JD and sign a quality starter and reliever?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What major alternative to signing JD Martinez do we have?

Sign a big-named pitcher? Darvish or Arrieta

Sign Moustakas and move Devers to DH? Nope.

Sign Lorenzo Cain and trade JBJ for Salazar? Nope.

Sign Cobb or Lynn plus Nunez? Hmmm...

To me, it's JD or Cobb & Nunez.

Cobb is a disaster waiting to happen. Please sign him or Lynn, please

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    If dave could find a sucker to take hanley off our hands, I am confident he would pull the trigger on JD very quickly!

However since no sucker exists, can we please pass on JD and sign a quality starter and reliever?
    Any player the Sox can deal Hanley Ramirez for you probably don't want to see on the Sox...

Deity
    I'd say, if we don't sign JD, we'll go for a solid pitcher.

Possible. And likely, assuming Darvish or the declining Arrieta are still unsigned.

Also possible there is an "outside the box" solution we have not thought of. Like signing Wade Davis and trading Kimbrel.

The big issue is obvious. Teams interested in Kimbrel are clearly trying to win immediately and therefore less likely to give up the pitcher or hitter the Sox want, so it could wind up as a complicated three team scenario.

Or the Sox could sign Davis and just have a monster bullpen. While Davis undoubtedly wants a closing job, if he was paid closer money, he might not mind doing set up work for one season and assuming the closer role after Kimbrel leaves via free agency.

In some respects, this is a lot smarter than signing a starter. Closers and relievers typically hold their value longer than starters as pitchers enter their 30s...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Possible. And likely, assuming Darvish or the declining Arrieta are still unsigned.

Also possible there is an "outside the box" solution we have not thought of. Like signing Wade Davis and trading Kimbrel.

The big issue is obvious. Teams interested in Kimbrel are clearly trying to win immediately and therefore less likely to give up the pitcher or hitter the Sox want, so it could wind up as a complicated three team scenario.

Or the Sox could sign Davis and just have a monster bullpen. While Davis undoubtedly wants a closing job, if he was paid closer money, he might not mind doing set up work for one season and assuming the closer role after Kimbrel leaves via free agency.

In some respects, this is a lot smarter than signing a starter. Closers and relievers typically hold their value longer than starters as pitchers enter their 30s...
    A little late, the Rockies just signed Wade for a massive 3 yr / 52 Millions contract, surprised for the amount paid for him

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    A little late, the Rockies just signed Wade for a massive 3 yr / 52 Millions contract, surprised for the amount paid for him
    Plus a vesting option that could make it 4 yrs / 66 million.

The guaranteed AAV of 17.33 is a record for relievers, higher than Chapman's 17.2.

Any player the Sox can deal Hanley Ramirez for you probably don't want to see on the Sox...
    I think a bag of balls would do nicely. HRam plus $12-15M for a low single A prospect with little upside is what I'm thinking.

I thought you believed the closer role was vastly over-rated.

Legend

Too late with Wade Davis going to the Rockies

I think a bag of balls would do nicely. HRam plus $12-15M for a low single A prospect with little upside is what I'm thinking.
    I'm in.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."