Register now to remove this ad

Page 175 of 335 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Stanton facing all these Lefties in Fenway ought to be interesting.
    Good lefties can use Fenway to their advantage. Besides, Fenway is not an HR park.

Legend
    Any Park is HR park for Stanton. He played in Miami one of the worst, HR hitting Parks. What's his splits compared to RHP?
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 01-02-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Any Park is HR park for Stanton. He played in Miami one of the worst, HR hitting Parks. What's his splits compared to RHP?
    If parks don't matter, why bring it up?

Stanton's HR splits:

198 in 3171 PAs vs RHPs (6.2%)

69 in 949 vs LHPs (7.3%)

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Good lefties can use Fenway to their advantage. Besides, Fenway is not an HR park.
    Overall it's not an HR park but it can be for a RH power hitter who hits fly balls more than line drives.

Fenway is absolutely a RH hitters HR park. It’s death to lefties for power.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It's a doubles park for RH hitters who hit mostly line drives.

It's also a good hitting park for lefty hitters who can go to the opposite field.

Every hitter hits line drives. Every hitter also hits fly balls. RH hitters will, on average, hit more fly balls to LF than lefties would. Fenway is a place where a fly ball to LF has a better chance to leave the park or hit the wall than it would in other parks where similar hits would be outs. I get the doubles nonsense. But Fenway has also claimed its share of cans of corn to LCF and turned them into HRs

The bottom line is, there are a lot more doubles hit at Fenway than at other parks, on average. There are also fewer home runs hit at Fenway than average.

The doubles increase is more pronounced than the home run reduction, and therefore it's a hitter's park in general. But the misconception has often been that it's a hitter's park because of balls going over the wall. It's actually all the balls that go off the wall.

Every hitter hits line drives. Every hitter also hits fly balls. RH hitters will, on average, hit more fly balls to LF than lefties would. Fenway is a place where a fly ball to LF has a better chance to leave the park or hit the wall than it would in other parks where similar hits would be outs. I get the doubles nonsense. But Fenway has also claimed its share of cans of corn to LCF and turned them into HRs
    Don't forget all the line drives or other hard hit balls that clank off the wall for a single or double. Many of those hits would be home runs in places like Yankee stadium.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The bottom line is, there are a lot more doubles hit at Fenway than at other parks, on average. There are also fewer home runs hit at Fenway than average.

The doubles increase is more pronounced than the home run reduction, and therefore it's a hitter's park in general. But the misconception has often been that it's a hitter's park because of balls going over the wall. It's actually all the balls that go off the wall.
    My eyeballs say this as well.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Yankee Stadium has the crazy short porch in right, but it's deep in left and centre.

Yankee Stadium has the crazy short porch in right, but it's deep in left and centre.
    Yeah I don't know the exact dimensions but I am speaking of parks that have lowish walls in left and are not that deep. Lots of line drive home runs.

Maybe I picked the wrong park to illustrate my point.

It has average dimensions in CF and LF. Nothing especially deep. LFC at 390 is the one tough spot, but that tapers down drastically as you move toward LF.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 01-02-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yeah I don't know the exact dimensions but I am speaking of parks that have lowish walls in left and are not that deep. Lots of line drive home runs.

Maybe I picked the wrong park to illustrate my point.
    Exactly. Few balls out of YS in LF will not get out in Fenway
    Hal sucks

Absolutely? Not really. You should look at the numbers before you make bold statements like that.

Home HRs last year (Away):

RHBs
    10 HRam (13)
    8 Betts (16)
    4 Vaz (1)
    4 Nunez (4)
    4 Pedey (3)
    4 Young (3)
    4 Bogey (6)
    1 Marrero (3)
    Total by RHBs: H39/A49 (10 more AWAY!)

LHBs:
    10 Moreland (12)
    7 Beni (13)
    6 Devers (4)
    6 JBJ (11)
    Total by LHBs: H29/A40 (11 more away)

Switch Hitters:
    3 Leon (4)
    2 Pablo (2)
    Total: H5/A6

I don't have the breakdown of PAs by RHBs vs LHBs at home vs away, but overall, RHBs had 3704 PAs and LHBs had 2336 PAs.

RHBs 90 HRs per 3704 PAs (2.4%)
    LHBs 78 HRs per 2336 PAs (3.3%)

2003-2017 HRs
    Home: 1333 in 47,075 PAs (2.8%)
    Away: 1486 in 43,036 PAs (3.6%)

H/A HRs
    221/262 Ortiz
    97/103 Manny
    73/67 Pedey
    65/68 Youk

Pitchers pitch lefty and righty batters much differently in Fenway than other parks.