Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Youk!

Bring Back Youk!

Anyone else think this is a good idea? If he butt heads with Bobby V, well, he's gone. Farrell is in, who is well loved by most of the team. Beckett is gone, who supposively tried to finger Youk as the snitch from last year...

If we can get him back at a reasonable rate, and if he'd be open to it... I think we should!

Re: Bring Back Youk!

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. At least you can still have Diddy Riese over there.

Youk could fill the hole at 1B better than most other available options. It's worth considering.

I don't want him to come back here and play third base. THe move to third coincided too closely with a collapse in Youk's performance.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

no, no,no. stop looking backwards.
    2013 never did I doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    no, no,no. stop looking backwards.
    I'm not looking backwards. I'm looking forward to next year and trying to figure out who the best available option is if we decide to go with a veteran first baseman. RIght now, Youk's right up there.

You really think a team with this kind of payroll is going to roll into next year expecting Jerry Sands and Mauro Gomez to figure out 1B between them?
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Well my primary point is the team needs new direction. We have had plenty of talented players the past few years, and can't get into the playoffs. We could not get into the playoffs the last time Youk played first and we could not get there with Adrian Gonzalez playing first. Furthermore Youk has been declining and I have seen nothing to tell me that decline won't continue.

I am talking about letting the team distance itself as far as possible from the identity of the past few years. I think it will be extremely difficult when the first loosing streak comes next year for the team to battle a ''here we go again'' mentality.

And at the risk of opening myself up to being mocked, I did not see anything with Gomez that says he could not compete for the job.

I expect / hope a team with a payroll like the Sox need to spend it on pitching.
    2013 never did I doubt!

Legend

With Ross going to FA, they need another RHd bat. Maybe it will be Sands. They should give him a shot at 1B.

Watch for some bold action signing Hamilton. Either the Red Sox or the Yankees. The Sox really need Hamilton, and are positioned to offer him $30 million. Maybe more so than NY.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport View Post
    With Ross going to FA, they need another RHd bat. Maybe it will be Sands. They should give him a shot at 1B.

Watch for some bold action signing Hamilton. Either the Red Sox or the Yankees. The Sox really need Hamilton, and are positioned to offer him $30 million. Maybe more so than NY.
    If Hamilton signs in Boston or NY, I have a feeling his demons would end getting the best of him.

Texas only offered him a 1 year deal, I think anything more than 1 year is foolish since he battles his demons on a day by day basis.

In my opinion, Hamilton stays with Texas. They have provided an environment for him to succeed, and they have been loyal to him. Texas has locker room policies regarding alcohol and what not, when they won the ALCS, they wouldn't even celebrate with champagne....they had a alcohol free celebration.

John Lackey alone, could ruin this guys life. Redsox and beer (and chicken) go together like lamb and tunafish.

Legend

I would discount the chicken and beer stuff. The Red Sox are probably no different from any other organization. Way overplayed. Though conditioning undoubtedly was a problem.

Hamilton is their chance to get on the map again. He has issues, but so don't a lot of players. Tough to see the Yankees passing on him--they love guys with issues that have LHd power. But he may be too rich for them, and they are probably more worried about their pitching. Hamilton isn't too rich for the Red Sox at this point, and Papi isn't enough thump in that lineup--not at 38. He could decline at any point, as he did a couple years ago.

The other guy I like is Youks. His home-road splits in both Boston and Chicago are a mystery--hit well at home in both cities, weak on the road. He can still play 1B, and at least hit in Fenway. I believe shifting to 3B was a factor in his decline, though his conditioning has been questionable--along with a lot of other Red Sox players. I think conditioning on this team went to pot in general Tito's last couple years after Mills left.

Deity

Youk could be a respectable answer at 1st for a year....until they figure out something else long term. As long as the money is not crazy....why not?

Id bring Youk back.....even if he wants 2 years.

Bobby V brought out the worst in a lot of those players, it was if he intentionally tried to piss some of them off, which in the end just sabotaged the season.

Im 100% against Hamilton though....Beer and Chicken was overplayed, but I think there are too many selfish players in this clubhouse to give a shit about Josh Hamiltons sobriety. Maybe things will be different with Beckett out.

Major Leaguer

I would love to see Youk back. If we got him and Napoli, another righty, Youk could take some days off while Napoli could take some days off from catcher, allowing Salti, a lefty, to catch.

They can bring back Youk if it's late in the off season and there isn't a better option. I tend to lean toward the side of this team needs to move forward.

Legend

They need to give Sands a shot at 1B or the OF. He is supposed to be ready--hits the curve well.

But Youks should be in the mix, too. He won't be expensive, and he can still hit in Fenway and play good 1B.

What did youk hit in fenway last year?
    2013 never did I doubt!