Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Cherington

Legend

Re: Ben Cherington

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Thank you for agtreeing to what I posted earlier. Kasten and Lucchino go way back. Cherrington simply doesn't have the contacts or experience to make this type of deal happen. To paraphrase one our young and intemperate fellow posters this is deal that the grey beards had to work out.
    Right. Kasten-Lucchino. President levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    "If" all those things go right, then you should also play the lottery and powerball. Lots of question marks means lots of losses, effectively. But the way the red sox were playing with a bunch of guys past or in their prime was getting them nowhere. You might not be very good next yr, but you will also be getting valuable experience for the kids who need to sink or swim in this market.

There is a very strong likelihood that Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Kalish, Iglesias, Sands and DeJesus play significant (if not leading) roles in your team next yr on offense. And I think Webster, De La Rosa, Doubront, Wilson, and maybe even Barnes will play roles on the mound next yr as well. This reset button gives them great flexibility. I think they go through next yr, see who is sinking, who is swimming, all the while filling the holes with players who fit the previous mold. That leaves them with a blueprint that they can execute come 2014.

I will be totally honest with you here. The way the sox were playing and bumbling these past 12 months has been very comforting to me as a Yankee fan. Today's move, while very bold and does deplete the sox of big league ready talent, makes me much more uncomfortable. I think the sox are rebuilding on the fly and will be playoff ready come 2014/2015

I agree with your assessment. It always surprises me how people so often ignore reason because you're a Yankees fan.

It will be tough for the Red Sox to compete, but that being said, look at how much the Red Sox dump in salary. Not only do they dump 60 million per year, they also lose about 40 million more deadweight on top of that in Dicek, Jenks, Youk, and 15 million more is going to Ortiz.

They could actually sign Hamilton, Greinke, and Napoli, and potentially still be under the luxury tax. Not really a great idea, but that also means they could sign good-great impact players on 10/1 deals. Look at how big an impact Kuroda has had on the Yankees. Jackson, Ross, Scutaro, etc etc. As long as they don't turtle, they'll have significant room to operate.

Deity

Well if it is a question of just being a stronger team, the Sox "probably" are a better team with Agons and Crawford. However they are a weaker baseball organization with them as they simply cost way to much money for the contributions that they make. Crawford was going to end up basically with two wasted years out of a seven year contract and was never going to be a player that the Sox could utilize fully. He stands a much better chance of flourishing with the Dodgers. Agons had produced much more in the way of numbers since coming out of his slump and has somewhat better power numbers of late. However he still seemed lacking in power with no guarantees of that improving and had really been a disappointment in big moments. Now he has not only been failing in big moments but has looked completely lost in big moments, having terrible at bats, even now, on the other side of his slump. Frankly, I could almost be satisfied with his power numbers at least with what he has shown in the last five weeks or so. However I can't take these power numbers and the complete mess he is in big moments, late in games when the Sox really need a contribution from him. That combination is deadly when you bang it up against $21M per.

Ive noticed many posters to be quite hard on him.

Can we at least give the guy a chance? Hes only been the real GM for a few short months. LL and Theo put together that mess last year.

So far, BC managed to wipe the slate clean of the prior regimes mistakes. Lets at least give him credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    Ive noticed many posters to be quite hard on him.

Can we at least give the guy a chance? Hes only been the real GM for a few short months. LL and Theo put together that mess last year.

So far, BC managed to wipe the slate clean of the prior regimes mistakes. Lets at least give him credit for that.
    He could have brought SPs last season, and he didn't.

...but fair enough... lets wait... again!
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    He could have brought SPs last season, and he didn't.

...but fair enough... lets wait... again!
    LL ran that team. LL picked the manager. LL/JH didn't allow BC to spend any money. LL didn't allow BC to make any trades to improve the team.

By the time LL relinquished his stranglehold, the team had zero playoff hopes.

LL ran that team. LL picked the manager. LL/JH didn't allow BC to spend any money. LL didn't allow BC to make any trades to improve the team.

By the time LL relinquished his stranglehold, the team had zero playoff hopes.
    I do not care about the name because we do not really know who is running this team... I said BC since he is our GM and is supposed to manage our baseball operations... apparently he was/is a puppet... The important thing is that our FO (put the name you want) has been dysfunctional and horrible, say the last 4 years. IMO the cancer still there. I said that we had to clean up our FO in order to rebuild our team for real getting rid of LL and Co. and bringing a guy like Friedman. Didn't happen. Hopefully I'm wrong SCM...

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

I do not care about the name because we do not really know who is running this team... I said BC since he is our GM and is supposed to manage our baseball operations... apparently he was/is a puppet... The important thing is that our FO (put the name you want) has been dysfunctional and horrible, say the last 4 years. IMO the cancer still there. I said that we had to clean up our FO in order to rebuild our team for real getting rid of LL and Co. and bringing a guy like Friedman. Didn't happen. Hopefully I'm wrong SCM...
    Lets give BC a chance first.

Thus far, its been Ben Cherrington's name and face in the press this offseason. We haven't heard a word from that idiot Lucchino. As long as it stays that way, we may have a shot at improving.

I agree with you. It doesn't matter to me if it is LL or Cherries who is calling the shots. I just want to start seeing some moves to get this franchise back to respectability and eventually to prominence. If people want to defend Cherries by calling him a puppet, fine, but I can't think of a bigger slam than being called a puppet.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I agree with you. It doesn't matter to me if it is LL or Cherries who is calling the shots. I just want to start seeing some moves to get this franchise back to respectability and eventually to prominence. If people want to defend Cherries by calling him a puppet, fine, but I can't think of a bigger slam than being called a puppet.
    That is BC's fault how?????

What was he supposed to do last year when he was the GM in title only?

I am the most unlikely talksox member here to begin making excuses for that disaster, but you are just being unfair to him.

Let him attempt to do his job first.

That is BC's fault how?????

What was he supposed to do last year when he was the GM in title only?

I am the most unlikely talksox member here to begin making excuses for that disaster, but you are just being unfair to him.

Let him attempt to do his job first.
    How? Let other/s make what he was supposed to do. You need balls here. Leadership.

But Fair enough... lets wait what our FO/BC/LL/LL-BC... do

How? Let other/s make what he was supposed to do. You need balls here. Leadership.

But Fair enough... lets wait what our FO/BC/LL/LL-BC... do
    You clearly never worked at a state job or for a big business. If you had, you would know that his duties last year.....were to shut his mouth and smile, and if he didn't, they would replace him.

Also, clearly...you still don't understand that BC was not the GM last year.

HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO DO HIS JOB LAST YEAR.

Lets give him until spring training at least.

You clearly never worked at a state job or for a big business. If you had, you would know that his duties last year.....were to shut his mouth and smile, and if he didn't, they would replace him.

You are putting a bigger slam on Cherries than any of us. :lol: Calling him a stooge and a puppet is not exactly a compliment.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You are putting a bigger slam on Cherries than any of us. :lol: Calling him a stooge and a puppet is not exactly a compliment.
    Nope.

I said he wasn't allowed to do his job last year. How is that his fault?

You are judging his performance based on a month. Did you forget that he found a team stupid enough to get rid of that cancer Beckett, Crawford and Gonzalez as well?

Exactly... when a real manager/director/CEO/leader arrives to an organization shows precisely that... leadership, and do not let other/s do what is supposed to be his job...MANAGE/RUN!... you said that last year he was a puppet, fine!... As I said, I have no idea who was/is running this team SCM33, but that is not the point. The point is that our FO has to be capable to put at least a legit WC contender team this year, regardless there are 2 WCs.

I'm agree with you, lets wait.