Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 201 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

I forgot about Hanley's sore shoulder. He had an April 2015 like no other then hurt his shoulder and was a shell of himself. Is healthy for 2016 and hits 30 homers. Re injures the shoulder and now looks like the post April 2015 self again

Deity
    A couple of you mentioned Ortiz. Not long after Manny Ramirez left, I think in 2008, Ortiz began to complain that he couldn't "get a pitch to hit." This was and is a reminder that really good hitters like Manny and Papi help other hitters, especially those in front of them.

Max, I agree with you. Other posters will tell you there is no statistical evidence of players being pitched differently after a lineup change.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    A couple of you mentioned Ortiz. Not long after Manny Ramirez left, I think in 2008, Ortiz began to complain that he couldn't "get a pitch to hit." This was and is a reminder that really good hitters like Manny and Papi help other hitters, especially those in front of them.
    Yeah, because after Manny left, Ortiz really sucked for the rest of his career.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Yeah, because after Manny left, Ortiz really sucked for the rest of his career.
    It took Papi a while to adjust to not having Manny as his cohort in the line up. Once he got used to life without Manny, he did better aside from injuries to his hand and feet.

And before you find fault with me, I am not knocking Ortiz in any fashion. I have been a stout supporter for David in other places, with no apologies for my affection.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Max, I agree with you. Other posters will tell you there is no statistical evidence of players being pitched differently after a lineup change.
    There is evidence that batters are pitched to differently. There is no evidence that the batter's overall production is affected by it.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There is evidence that batters are pitched to differently. There is no evidence that the batter's overall production is affected by it.
    Aside from a lack of runs ... but that is merely a personal observation. (I think Sale might agree. Heh.)

Major Leaguer
    Mookie and Hanley bombed back to back in the first!

Quote Originally Posted by SinceYaz View Post
    Mookie and Hanley bombed back to back in the first!
    Good to see you Yaz. We have a game thread here if you'd like to join it.

It took Papi a while to adjust to not having Manny as his cohort in the line up. Once he got used to life without Manny, he did better aside from injuries to his hand and feet.

And before you find fault with me, I am not knocking Ortiz in any fashion. I have been a stout supporter for David in other places, with no apologies for my affection.
    Fault? There's no fault in you. We're just two dooffuses discussing sports (I see my last post sounded snide--unintended).

That doesn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me.
    "Protection is overrated. There's no evidence that having a superior batter behind another batter provides the initial batter with better pitches to hit; if it does, those batters see no improvement in performance as a result. Additionally, it's very rare that a situation arises in which run expectation drops after the pitching team walks the batter at the plate. Therefore, if the pitching team does walk a batter because it would rather pitch to the following man, it is almost always making a mistake by opening the door for a big inning. The situation changes late in close games as the importance of a single run begins to trump that of many runs, but even in those situations, the difference between the two batters would have to be extreme."

Hanley is apparently dealing with issues in both shoulders.

Deity
    Aside from a lack of runs ... but that is merely a personal observation. (I think Sale might agree. Heh.)

So .... Sox batters are pitched to differently on days Chris Sale pitches?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Hanley is apparently dealing with issues in both shoulders.
    Thanks, Ben.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.