Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stanton: I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like Jeter!

The Dodgers offer was real bad
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He'd have widened the teams, once he started the season in Miami.
    The Marlins didn't want to dick around with such scenarios for the sake of possibly getting a little more for him.

Also, the Marlins didn't want to risk Stanton getting hurt or slumping and losing value
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Also, the Marlins didn't want to risk Stanton getting hurt or slumping and losing value
    Which is a legitimate risk when you have a fairly young guy who has missed as much game time as he has.

Jete got hosed. He couldn't have done any worse by waiting.

He let GS play him and he got screwed.

I disagree. I think Jeter got as good a deal as he was going to get. Knowing the deals offered from the only other team on his wish list to offer, the NYY offer was far and away the best. If Stanton played, suffered a concussion and missed seasons due to post concussion syndrome, then the Marlins would be eating a contract that will in all likelihood, exceed their entire team salary on an annual basis going forward
    Hal sucks

That's part of the problem. Jeter let Stanton have the upper hand. As an owner, you can't let that happen.

All-Star
    I disagree. I think Jeter got as good a deal as he was going to get. Knowing the deals offered from the only other team on his wish list to offer, the NYY offer was far and away the best. If Stanton played, suffered a concussion and missed seasons due to post concussion syndrome, then the Marlins would be eating a contract that will in all likelihood, exceed their entire team salary on an annual basis going forward
    It's interesting to have watched you jump from a poster absolutely delighted with the trade and considering it a steal for the Yanks, to falling over yourself to say Jeter got a good deal.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories on this, but you're happily playing both sides here.

Yes, he could have done worse. He risked Stanton's value dropping. How much higher can your value be than after hitting 59 homers and winning MVP?

If you have him stay on a shell of a team he might be very disgruntled and it could affect his play.

A lot of bad stuff could happen, not much good.

No teams even claimed him on waivers this year, as you recall, and that was of course in the midst of pennant races.

What teams exactly do you think would have been added to the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, he could have done worse. He risked Stanton's value dropping. How much higher can your value be than after hitting 59 homers and winning MVP?

If you have him stay on a shell of a team he might be very disgruntled and it could affect his play.

A lot of bad stuff could happen, not much good.

No teams even claimed him on waivers this year, as you recall, and that was of course in the midst of pennant races.

What teams exactly do you think would have been added to the mix?
    He got crap for GS.

What's worse than crap?

I've been saying for weeks and weeks that Stanton was not going to bring back a huge haul. Just about everyone was expecting much more than what Jeter got. Even the SFG offer was reportedly much better.

I stand by my position.

The odds were much greater he could have gotten more by expanding the list of suitors and not letting Gs run the show.

GS would have begged to be traded once Gordon and Ozuna were traded away. He'd have expanded his list to 16 teams. I have no doubt.

He wanted out of Miami and that was more important than essentially choosing 2 teams only.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    It's interesting to have watched you jump from a poster absolutely delighted with the trade and considering it a steal for the Yanks, to falling over yourself to say Jeter got a good deal.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories on this, but you're happily playing both sides here.
    He did not get a good deal. He got the best deal he could get. The previous ownership gave GS a no trade. Once you do that, you lose all leverage.
    Hal sucks

He did not get a good deal. He got the best deal he could get. The previous ownership gave GS a no trade. Once you do that, you lose all leverage.
    Not true. The leverage was to tell GS he's staying with a losing team for 3 more years before his opt-out.

He'd come begging for a trade to any place competitive or more commercially lucrative to his "brand".

Or he’d get hurt and becomes entirely untradeable. There is a reason Jeter came out and said that Stanton will be traded at the outset. The ownership group deemed his contract too much of a liability to keep and too big of a risk to drag out.

Or he’d get hurt and becomes entirely untradeable. There is a reason Jeter came out and said that Stanton will be traded at the outset. The ownership group deemed his contract too much of a liability to keep and too big of a risk to drag out.
    Actually, what was said was they had to cut $30M. They cut that with Ozuna, Gordon and Vargas. He could have told GS, we might keep you, since we cut what we needed to cut. look at Yelich and their catcher begging to be traded now. That could have been GS, too had jeter had half a brain and 1/4 guts.

Legend
    He'd have widened the teams, once he started the season in Miami.
    Stanton drove the train here. Which made the fairly widely reported idea that Yeah Jeets did not contact him early on a very questionable move. Now, it might not have helped - but then celebrating your acquisition of the team by doing no media, running off Jeff Conine and then not contacting the soon to be MVP is a bit odd.