Register now to remove this ad

Page 134 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Wright starting the year in the pen seems like the most logical scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think that's what will happen, although I have a slight preference for Wright as the 5th starter.

He'll get his chance to prove he's a better starter, if indeed he is.

SP1 Sale
    SP2 Porcello
    SP3 Price
    SP4 ERod
    SP5 Pom
    SP6/Long Relief Wright

Closer Kimbrel
    RP2 Thornburg
    RP3 (Smith) Kelly
    RP4 Ross
    RP5 Barnes
    RP6 Hembree or Abad (both out of options)

AAA
    SP7 Elias
    SP8 Johnson
    SP9 Owens
    (SP10 Kelly?)

RP8 Scott
    RP9 Workman
    RP10 Ysla
    RP11 Martin
    RP12 N Ramirez
    RP13 Olmos (Owens/Johnson/Elias)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    I agree. I get the feeling that sometimes people might confuse him with Felix Doubront.

If he has a solid spring and gets demoted to Pawtucket, this kid is going to be irate. These things always seem to work themselves out anyway, but I can't see them demoting him unless it's warranted.
    Lol the bolded line.

I don't care about the kid being irate. I agree with what you have said and I think Jacko is correct as well.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Wake seemed to do better when sweat was dripping off his face.
    I loved Wake but he did not have the 17 MPH variation on his Knuckler.

Maybe the moisture has a more pronounced effect on the higher velocity pitches? I am referring to grip.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The guys we risk losing are 1 or possibly two from these out of options pitchers: Abad, Hembree & Elias.

I'd rather put Barnes or Ross in AAA, if we really felt we needed to keep all three of them. Even Kelly has an option left and might be a better choice than ERod.

Kimbrel & Thornburg are locks, if healthy.

Kelly & Ross are probably the next tier with Barnes close behind.

Even assuming those 5 are in, we could probably have Pom in the pen, pick one of those three for the 7th slot and then get creative with the DL on the others.

This is assuming everyone is healthy, which is not likely.

If we have to trade Abad and/or Elias, I'm not going to lose any sleep.
    As I said in my previous post, trading Buchholz probably gets rid of enough of the starter logjam so that we don't have to worry about it.

I just take exception with the posts that state that it's a stupid idea or that it would never happen.

It is far from a stupid idea and it happens all the time.

No, you're not going to send someone like Sale down just because he has options. But someone who is slated to be the #4 or #5 when Pomeranz or Wright could do just as good a job, you absolutely consider it. Even if it only means saving a potentially very good pen arm.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The game where teams hold players back for a variety of reasons all the time? Just a guess.

The whole "best players make the team" does work for Little League. But - and this is not condoning it, but a fact of MLB - contracts and control rule the Show.

The Sox chose not to demote but Rodriguez, but if they did do it (and they still might depending how the off-season plays out) it would be to keep control of as many players as possible. This kind of thing happens all the time with all 30 teams.

It was the reason for the overblown Tommy LaStella Retirement Threat last season. (Maybe that wasn't as big of a deal in Boston as it was here in Chicago. If so, apologies for the hopefully not obscure reference.)
    Thank you for this post, Sir Notin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I don't know why some are acting like this is such a black-and-white decision. Assuming everyone is healthy and looks strong in camp, would starting Wright and Pomeranz (both All-Stars in 2016) over Rodriguez out of the gate really be so indefensible?
    I agree. This is nothing against ERod, who I think will end up being a very good pitcher. And I'm not saying we should keep him down all season. Having the roster flexibility to open the season gives the team some time to assess how things are playing out in terms of who is effective in the pen and so forth. It makes a ton of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I think Eduardo is one of our best 5 starters as well, both now and going forward...I just don't think he's separated himself enough from the other two guys at this point that it's ridiculous to even talk about.

(Reposting because the mobile version of this site keeps deleting my post when I go to edit it..? Sorry.)
    LOL I started reading this post and was wondering how the heck Cycles quoted it before you even posted it. Thank goodness you explained yourself. These are the types of things that keep me awake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Was he on an innings limit last year?
    I don't think he was, nor will he be on one this year, but keep in mind that he is pitching in the WBC. He will be at full throttle during the time that he's usually still 'warming up'. I don't know what effect that will have on him over the course of the season, but I do think that it's another consideration.

I agree. I get the feeling that sometimes people might confuse him with Felix Doubront.

If he has a solid spring and gets demoted to Pawtucket, this kid is going to be irate. These things always seem to work themselves out anyway, but I can't see them demoting him unless it's warranted.
    The idea of having ERod start in AAA has nothing to do with not liking his talent. To date, he has not proven himself to be so much better than Pomeranz or Wright that the team has to start him.

Maybe he will separate himself from the other two enough that the decision becomes a foregone conclusion. He is pitching very well in winter ball right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I agree. If I had to venture a guess, that would be it.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The idea of having ERod start in AAA has nothing to do with not liking his talent. To date, he has not proven himself to be so much better than Pomeranz or Wright that the team has to start him.

Maybe he will separate himself from the other two enough that the decision becomes a foregone conclusion. He is pitching very well in winter ball right now.
    Dombrowski already said that he would be the 4th starter, so if he has a good spring, he's not heading to Pawtucket to start the season. Now go make me some bacon & eggs, Kimmi.

Dombrowski already said that he would be the 4th starter, so if he has a good spring, he's not heading to Pawtucket to start the season. Now go make me some bacon & eggs, Kimmi.
    What the heck kind of comment is that?

That's fine if Dombrowski said that ERod would be the 4th starter. I have never said that ERod would be sent to AAA. No matter how much some of you are against that idea, though, it is a very valid consideration.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    What the heck kind of comment is that?

That's fine if Dombrowski said that ERod would be the 4th starter. I have never said that ERod would be sent to AAA. No matter how much some of you are against that idea, though, it is a very valid consideration.
    A bad joke and a rip off of Cedric Maxwell. Just kidding!