Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Gome

Jonny Gome

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?...31&city=boston
    Red Sox have signed OF Gomes to a two year deal. Seems like a utility guy to me. Doesn't have much power. But the power he does have is to left field. So, Fenway might help his numbers.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Re: Jonny Gome

Johnny Gomes doesn't have much power? In what universe? The man can hit a ball a long, long way. His deal has always been consistency.

Since we have holes at both corners now, Gomes is a solid potential piece to the puzzle. Could be a good replacement for Cody Ross.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Johnny Gomes doesn't have much power? In what universe? The man can hit a ball a long, long way. His deal has always been consistency.

Since we have holes at both corners now, Gomes is a solid potential piece to the puzzle. Could be a good replacement for Cody Ross.
    That's what I've been hearing. I haven't seen him play much since he left Tampa. I didn't really know if it was true.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

This is a very good, under the radar move. I have a feeling you will be seeing him platoon with Kalish to start the yr to get the kid some confidence and get Gomes comfortable in his new digs
    Hal sucks

Deity

The piece says 2/$10. Not bad their BC. Although I think 2/$12 would have been a noticeably overpay so BC pretty much got it right I think. 2/$10 might be a slight overpay but still not bad and surely not what Cody Ross was looking to get.

Gomes has a TON of power.

If this is the move instead of signing Ross however, I hate it.

If he is the replacement, we somehow managed to get worse than we were.

Yeah, Gomez can crush the ball. multiple time 20-hr hitter, but Ross is ideal as far as fenway power goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Any chance we get Gomes in left and Ross in right?

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    Gomes has a TON of power.

If this is the move instead of signing Ross however, I hate it.

If he is the replacement, we somehow managed to get worse than we were.
    I think you have to look at it like Gomes+Kalish or Gomes +Nava as the replacement for Ross.

I'd like to see Ross back with the club, but don't fault them at all for not going to three years. Overall I like the move.

When the Red Spx go after a guy with Fenway power and poor defensive skills it reminds me of the awful Red Sox teams of the early sixties. Gomes can hit but he sucks defensively. Remember "Dr Strangeglove" or Stonefingers" Dick Stuart anyone?

Player A

Age 32
    Split versus righties .223 /.307 / .425 /.732
    Split versus lefties .284 / .382/ .512 /.894
    Career .244/ .334 / .455 /.790

Player B

Age 32
    Split versus righties .253/ .312/ .415 /.727
    Split versus lefties 284/ .353/ .575/ .928
    Career .262/.324/.460/.783

These guys are so similar, they started looking like the same player to me. Why pay 3/24 for Ross when you get almost exactly the same production from Gomes? Especially when the money saved may go to elite starting pitching, or Josh Hamilton.

The problem here is the value that can be placed on defense. Ross can play both OF corners capably, while Gomes is awful at anything that involves using a glove, probably even cooking or cleaning his bathroom. The difference in overall production is much bigger because of it.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    The problem here is the value that can be placed on defense. Ross can play both OF corners capably, while Gomes is awful at anything that involves using a glove, probably even cooking or cleaning his bathroom. The difference in overall production is much bigger because of it.
    If he is planned to play the OF as much as Ross then ya I'm worried too. But I don't think that's gonna be the case. He's gonna be starting in LF against LHP. Maybe 1/2 of the games? He will be replaced later in games for defensive purposes. So realistically he's in the field for less then half of the available playing time. He's probably going to have a negative value in LF regardless. Hopefully in the limited time he's out there he can make routine plays and avoid catastrophic mistakes. We will have to wait and see.

Because of injuries last season I think Ross played more then the Sox would have liked (I think they wanted more a platoon role for him). Now Ross wants 3 years with a large raise in pay. If the Sox still have a vision of a platoon situation I don't know if Ross would be receptive to less playing time. The Gomes signing sets up that platoon situation with a healthy Kalish (Hopefully) or someone else. Gomes has excepted that role based on everything I have read. His teammates love him. Gomes has power that should play in Fenway. He hit 18 hr in 279 ABs last year playing half his games in a pitchers park.
    Now both players are below average with the glove (Ross was no gold glover), but remember Ellsbury plays center and covers a lot of ground. Gomes also brings a lot to the club house and is similiar to bringing in Ross as part of the catching position.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Because of injuries last season I think Ross played more then the Sox would have liked (I think they wanted more a platoon role for him). Now Ross wants 3 years with a large raise in pay. If the Sox still have a vision of a platoon situation I don't know if Ross would be receptive to less playing time. The Gomes signing sets up that platoon situation with a healthy Kalish (Hopefully) or someone else. Gomes has excepted that role based on everything I have read. His teammates love him. Gomes has power that should play in Fenway. He hit 18 hr in 279 ABs last year playing half his games in a pitchers park.
    Now both players are below average with the glove (Ross was no gold glover), but remember Ellsbury plays center and covers a lot of ground. Gomes also brings a lot to the club house and is similiar to bringing in Ross as part of the catching position.
    I wonder if they are trying to fill the clubhouse with good guys to help take the pressure off a Grienke or Hamilton if brought in? Just a thought.

In the very least it looks like they are trying to change then attitude and atmosphere in the clubhouse, which can only be taken as a positive.