Register now to remove this ad

Page 200 of 201 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201 LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Way back in the day someone told me Jim rice could hit a golf ball longer than most pros.
    Whoever told you that was absolutely right!!! Jim might not have known where it was going all of the time but he could pound it. So could Bob Montgomery (remember him).

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Whoever told you that was absolutely right!!! Jim might not have known where it was going all of the time but he could pound it. So could Bob Montgomery (remember him).
    Hawk Harrelson said that Jim Ed frequently had to hit is 3 shot back at the green he overshot on a par 5.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Hawk Harrelson said that Jim Ed frequently had to hit is 3 shot back at the green he overshot on a par 5.
    Hey I had to do that. Once. Downwind. During a drought (fairways were rock hard).
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Hey I had to do that. Once. Downwind. During a drought (fairways were rock hard).
    Did you make par?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Way back in the day someone told me Jim rice could hit a golf ball longer than most pros.
    Makes sense. He could also hit a baseball longer than most pros

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have never faced MLB pitching but I did play catch ( football ) with a Patriot QB.

Back in the early '90s the Pats had a back-up QB named Tommy Hodgeson. I think he had played at Alabama or some other southern football academy.

Anyway, my fiend Mike owned a gas station where several Pats players were customers. One morning I stopped by to gas up and mike was talking with Hodgeson and I believe Marv Cook, a Pats TE. Soon we were outside tossing a football around.

I have little pussy hands and really can't throw a football well. But I could always catch!

Fuck me when Tommy would "toss" one to me. That fucking ball was hard. Not like anything I had caught before. I ended up catching most balls with my chest.

None of us have any idea what a ball thrown by a pro pitcher is like.

If I had to step in against an MLB pitcher I would piss myself.
    Hodgson went to LSU. and your point is spot on. Even the worst professional athletes are light years talent-wise when compared to nearly everyone else...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I've always wanted to 'step in' against a major league pitcher, just to see what it looks like. I have no delusions about actually being able to get a hit off him, or maybe even make contact with the ball, but I'd like to see what their curves and sliders look like from 60'6"
    I played high school ball with a couple of pitchers who played minor league ball (one in the Sox org, one for the Braves) but never made the majors. I had no delusions about hitting them even back then...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm hopeful it was injury-related and not a prolonged slump.

We could really use the "old" Bogey, since nobody else seems to be returning to 2016 form.
    I'd rather it was a slump. Slumps end. Injuries can linger on forever...

I'd rather it was a slump. Slumps end. Injuries can linger on forever...
    I was assuming he's over the injury and hoping he's not prone to long slumps without reason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I was assuming he's over the injury and hoping he's not prone to long slumps without reason.
    I get it, but slumps, unlike injuries, can also end without reason. I like his chances better if it's just a slump. Everyone has them..

I get it, but slumps, unlike injuries, can also end without reason. I like his chances better if it's just a slump. Everyone has them..
    I get your point, too.

To me, I'd feel better thinking Bogey would have had an .800 OPS had he not gotten hurt.

Now, I'm in doubt about just how good a hitter he is (or will be going forward).

Did you make par?
    I think that was one of my rare birdies (I'm usually good for 2 or 3 a year).

I played high school ball with a couple of pitchers who played minor league ball (one in the Sox org, one for the Braves) but never made the majors. I had no delusions about hitting them even back then...
    I played against a kid from a neighboring town in Babe Ruth ball who ended up at UConn and then was the #1 pick of the Jays; he never made it past AAA. He was a year older than I was per the way youth baseball figured their ages back then, but he was only a couple months older than me on the calendar. I hit him pretty well in Babe Ruth, he was skinny and basically had a curve ball (I could hit those, mostly because my swing was so slow). Two years later, we became teammates on a Legion squad; he had grown about 6 inches, added about 30 pounds and was now throwing in the mid 80s (still had the curve). I couldn't touch him in BP, let alone a game. He played, I mostly sat.

I faced a mid nineties throwing guy that made it to AAA then flunked out cause he was a drunk and a gambler. He was a friend of mine.

Pretty much what I remember was he threw three fastballs inside about 90 plus mph. He was a prick and would have reach back and gave me, his friend, his best heat. He's a lefty, I'm a righty, he could locate. I thought they were coming at me and semi flinched out of the way on each pitch, and each pitch was a strike. What I remember best was the sound of the whiz of the ball coming in...............

I also caught about an hour of batting practive with an AAA guy throwing who could hit 90. I wasn't a catcher, but I could catch. And the coaches were punishing me for not going to practive lately, so it was mid day about as hot as you can get in the north east and I get catching duty for a guy throwing what I thought was ungodly junk and heat. It was freaking torture........ but I loved catching him in a way............ my hand was sore as heck after the session................ And what I remember most is the sound of the whiz of the ball coming in.........

whiiiiiizzzzz........ CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!! That was the sound....
    Last edited by SoxHop; 10-03-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Legend
    Pretty clear from the game tonight that arguably our best hitter, Nunez, is gone for the playoffs. That is a tough blow for a relatively weak hitting team to absorb.

Tonight, our guys tended to follow the same pattern of taking one or two strikes , mostly fast balls and then being put into a pitcher friendly count. I had hoped they might game plan for a different approach but didn't see that. Two runs won't get it done against the Astros. If Altuve at 5'6" and 165 # can hit it out 3 times, then we should be able to hit one once in a while.