Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2018 ESPN Prospects Stuff (Sox Related)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Jagielo went for Chapman. Clarkin went in the Robertson deal

Yes, you were able to stockpile top prospects while trading others for top players.

It can be done.

Balance.

Balance is needed for sure. There is not enough room for all the prospects. Some must be dealt
    Hal sucks

Balance is needed for sure. There is not enough room for all the prospects. Some must be dealt
    There's room right now, but next winter some rule 5 guys will force your hand.

It's a nice problem to have.

You only have one albatross (Ellsbury), and you lose the $6M you're paying for McCann $ headley after this season.

We have some other money coming off the books as well with CC and his $10 mil, KRob's $14 mil, and the potential to get out of the $14 mil owed to Gardner with the option. The only other guy slated for FA is Warren and his $3+ mil arb salary. Either way, $41 mil can come off the books plus the $6 mil in dead money from McCann and Headley brings up an interesting situation. Plus, we can replace all of the above with internal candidates. CC with Sheffield or Adams, Gardner with Frazier, KRob with a multitude of pen arms and Warren with the same.
    Hal sucks

We have some other money coming off the books as well with CC and his $10 mil, KRob's $14 mil, and the potential to get out of the $14 mil owed to Gardner with the option. The only other guy slated for FA is Warren and his $3+ mil arb salary. Either way, $41 mil can come off the books plus the $6 mil in dead money from McCann and Headley brings up an interesting situation. Plus, we can replace all of the above with internal candidates. CC with Sheffield or Adams, Gardner with Frazier, KRob with a multitude of pen arms and Warren with the same.
    Scary.

You will keep Warren, if you can. Losing CC and Gardner will not be that bad.

Having $50M might get you two studs, if the prices keep falling.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Scary.

You will keep Warren, if you can. Losing CC and Gardner will not be that bad.

Having $50M might get you two studs, if the prices keep falling.
    I'd keep Gardner for me he's more valuable than most people realize, a very nice career for him without the drama and the publicity of several other guys in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I'd keep Gardner for me he's more valuable than most people realize, a very nice career for him without the drama and the publicity of several other guys in the league.
    He just had his best OPS in 5 years, at age 33. I'm not sure that's what to expect going forward.

He's still a very good fielder and runner. Yes, he's worth "keeping around", and having a few vets mixed in with all the kids helps, but there are better players out there.

He just had his best OPS in 5 years, at age 33. I'm not sure that's what to expect going forward.

He's still a very good fielder and runner. Yes, he's worth "keeping around", and having a few vets mixed in with all the kids helps, but there are better players out there.
    He's been very consistent, I still expect a bWAR for him north of 2.5 for the next couple years and an OPS over .700 that is very good for a 1st bat. I'm under no illusion, he will take a major hit in production in the next few years, most of his value is based on his legs and that is the first thing you lose as you get older, still I'm very confident for the next 2 years; unless he gets injured he is one of the safest bets in the lineup.

Didn't MLB TV just anoint him one of the top six left fielders in MLB?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

He's been very consistent, I still expect a bWAR for him north of 2.5 for the next couple years and an OPS over .700 that is very good for a 1st bat. I'm under no illusion, he will take a major hit in production in the next few years, most of his value is based on his legs and that is the first thing you lose as you get older, still I'm very confident for the next 2 years; unless he gets injured he is one of the safest bets in the lineup.
    He is one of a handful of players in the AL that I see a bunch of and say to myself "I would want him on my team". He makes plays on any side of the ball.

He does look goofy as fuck, though.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    He is one of a handful of players in the AL that I see a bunch of and say to myself "I would want him on my team". He makes plays on any side of the ball.

He's very professional, very quiet, takes care of business and never complains

I can't stand Gardner.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I can't stand Gardner.

That is all.
    End of discussion

But... I still love him in my team

End of discussion

But... I still love him in my team
    Of course.

And I am willing to acknowledge that if Gardner were on my team, I would probably love him also.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

He is goofy and his swing looks peculiar, but he gets the job done. He's this tiny guy who can go on a streak and smack 9 HR in a month then go dormant. I do love the guy, but his biggest calling card had been the speed, which has clearly taken a step back. He is still pesky in the box and still takes his share of walks, so he is still useful. For as rough as the Headley deal seems (the Yankees got about contract value based on FG's strange value metric) like a loss, the Gardner deal was a big boon for us. The question is, do we decline Gardy's option next year to free up room for Harper? Do we pick it up and deal him? ( He will have 10 and 5 rights). I am not sure.
    Hal sucks