Register now to remove this ad

Page 34 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Trade Deadline 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Saying that it costs us nothing is not really a true statement.

FWIW, I largely agree with you from the standpoint of giving up prospects and money for a rental player, but that all depends on the cost. There are some advantages to making a trade, even if it's only a marginal upgrade. One is getting a player with some veteran experience on an already young team. Two is adding some insurance/depth.

Dombrowski is going to give due diligence to the trade market. Devers will be called up if the FO believes that he is our best option.
    The Sox have a plan with every prospect, and they aren't going to accelerate that plan and screw with a guys development just because the big league club needs help.

Now I also happen to think the Sox believe that giving a guy a month worth of at bats at a level that is going to challenge him and he may not be ready for is not going to screw up his development. They can always start him off in AAA again next year. It's an issue now though because if he isn't ready for the show yet he is losing at bats and developmental time at a more appropriate level.

But it's hard to imagine that the Sox don't view Devers as being close to ready and could promote him sooner than a September call-up if he's performing well in Pawtucket and they still have concern at the position in a month from now.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I don't think the Sox will get Robertson. If they get Frazier, I hope it's on the cheap. Otherwise, it's a waste of prospects to me. If he was on a longer deal and they wanted to move him to 1b, I'd understand the trade.
    They probably can get him for a Trey Ball type.

What about trading Castillo if they take his salary. He has been playing well and made the All Star team.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

How about M.Chavis and B.Johnson to the A's for Y.Alonso? Am I giving up too much, not enough? B.Johnson is out of options next year and the Red Sox don't have a spot for him in their rotation. The A's might be interested in giving him a shot. The A's will want a high upside prospect for Alonso, which is why I included Chavis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    How about M.Chavis and B.Johnson to the A's for Y.Alonso? Am I giving up too much, not enough? B.Johnson is out of options next year and the Red Sox don't have a spot for him in their rotation. The A's might be interested in giving him a shot. The A's will want a high upside prospect for Alonso, which is why I included Chavis.
    To platoon him with Moreland?

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Moreland has fallen off the cliff in the month of July. He moves to the bench. Alonso takes over 1b, a true middle of the order bat, putting up big numbers this season. Moreland will provide quality depth and will give Hanley a day off from time to time against certain RHP.

The moves:
    (1) Release C.Young and promote Brentz
    (2) B.Johnson and M.Chavis to the A's for Y.Alonso
    (3) M.Shawaryn to the Giants for E.Nunez

Lineup against RHP
    Nunez (3b)
    Pedroia (2b)
    Betts (RF)
    Alonso (1b)
    Ramirez (DH)*
    Benintendi (LF)
    Bogaerts (SS)
    Bradley (CF)
    Vazquez (C)

*Moreland will get an occasional start against RHP, with Alonso moving to DH, and Hanley to the bench

LINEUP against LHP
    Nunez (3b)
    Pedroia (2b)
    Betts (LF)
    Alonso (1b)
    Ramirez (DH)
    Bradley (CF)
    Bogaerts (SS)
    Brentz (LF)
    Vazquez (C)

Legend
    Moreland has fallen off the cliff in the month of July. He moves to the bench. Alonso takes over 1b, a true middle of the order bat, putting up big numbers this season. Moreland will provide quality depth and will give Hanley a day off from time to time against certain RHP.
    Moreland has this issue in that he is just not very good

I think trading for any corner bat makes sense - but you have to consider 1B something to shore up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    They probably can get him for a Trey Ball type.
    A team is not going to give you an everyday productive position player for a guy who profiles as an up/down reliever (at best). Trey Balls draft slot carrys zero value at this point.

You will have to give up a real prospect to get anything of value that will help us down the stretch this year.

Legend
    What about trading Castillo if they take his salary. He has been playing well and made the All Star team.
    This year Rusney Castillo will be paid upwards of twice as much ($11.27 million) as Oakland's top-paid player (Jed Lowrie, $6.5 million).

Perhaps if the Red Sox package the 30-year-old Castillo with Rafael Devers.

If another team is looking for power we could have competition for a guy like Alonso, and if this year is the outlier someone could end up paying a steep price for him.

He's the type of guy I would like the Sox to look into but don't get into a bidding war over the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    This year Rusney Castillo will be paid upwards of twice as much ($11.27 million) as Oakland's top-paid player (Jed Lowrie, $6.5 million).

$11.27 million? WTH was Ben thinking. It must have been a Larry move.

Alonso doesn't have a track record long enough for me to want to give up Chavis for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post

nice thrown in...lol

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Alonso doesn't have a track record long enough for me to want to give up Chavis for him.
    Michael Chavis does not have a long enough track record for the Athletics to trade Yonder Alonso for him.