Register now to remove this ad

Page 121 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2268

Thread: Farrell

Legend
    When Williams played WS was just about over by now. You didn't get, 20 games in Post-Season, to redeem yourself. Also, there was a team called the Yankees, that was a problem. For a long time, it was you won the Pennant, and you went to WS.
    Also there was no DH, you had to play the field to hit.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-06-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    In clutch situations. Clutch situations must exist if clutch performances exist. I thought you already knew all the situations that count in assessing clutch.

It is very possible to attain in small sample sizes. What percentage would you use?
    You are the non-believer. You provide the measure that would convince you.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You are the non-believer. You provide the measure that would convince you.
    You've got it backwards. It's believers who need to justify their belief. If someone tells you they believe in unicorns do you just take their word and put it all down to a difference of opinions? You can't turn this back on me. I'm willing to compromise, but you are rigid in your belief. I'll let you set the standards and then we can see how many players qualify. If it is just a gut feeling then anyone can claim that any player they like is clutch.

You've got it backwards. It's believers who need to justify their belief. If someone tells you they believe in unicorns do you just take their word and put it all down to a difference of opinions? You can't turn this back on me. I'm willing to compromise, but you are rigid in your belief. I'll let you set the standards and then we can see how many players qualify. If it is just a gut feeling then anyone can claim that any player they like is clutch.
    No, you have it backwards. I am not tryig to get you to believe that it exists. I don't care what you think. You are the one intent on disproving it. You are rigid in your belief as you have set an impossible standard at 51% success, which defies the physics of baseball.So give me some good hard data that disproves it or a measure that would convince you. Otherwise, we are done.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 10-06-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

What would convince you? Provide a measure that would definitely convince you?
    In what situations? And 51% is ridiculously extreme. Basically, a player under that measure would need to have an OBP in high leverage situations that would be higher than Ted Williams lifetime OBP. That pretty much invalidates your position as your measure would be impossible to attain.
    In clutch situations. Clutch situations must exist if clutch performances exist. I thought you already knew all the situations that count in assessing clutch.

It is very possible to attain in small sample sizes. What percentage would you use?
    DD, he's lawyering you. He's going to keep peppering you with questions and he will NEVER answer a question you ask him.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    No offense for sure but I would hate to live in a world where nothing could be believed in unless there had to be some sort of statistical proof to support it. A real believer in anything I'm pretty much sure doesn't feel a need to justify their feelings. There isn't always a right or wrong answer to every question.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    DD, he's lawyering you. He's going to keep peppering you with questions and he will NEVER answer a question you ask him.
    I have asked him to prove his case, as I am not trying to prove a case.

No, you have it backwards. I am not tryig to get you to believe that it exists. I don't care what you think. You are the one intent on disproving it. You are rigid in your belief as you have set an impossible standard at 51% success, which defies the physics of baseball.So give me some good hard data that disproves it or a measure that would convince you. Otherwise, we are done.
    That's how it works with beliefs. Give me your gut success rate that you base it on. Otherwise, you are just making it up based on your personal feelings. Others with more analytical skills have already analyzed clutch and found it lacks evidence. Give me your reasoning, even if it is in words. I didn't set an ironclad 51% rate, I am using this as a starting point. Negotiate whatever number you want it to be. Then give me examples of players who meet your standards. Or just give me players that you know are clutch and tell me how you know. As I said before, none of us are sitting on the bench next to any of these players. All we have are observations from a distance and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    No offense for sure but I would hate to live in a world where nothing could be believed in unless there had to be some sort of statistical proof to support it. A real believer in anything I'm pretty much sure doesn't feel a need to justify their feelings. There isn't always a right or wrong answer to every question.
    People can believe anything they want. There is nothing to stop them. That does not mean all beliefs mean anything except to the individual. I didn't realize that clutch was merely a belief. I thought it was dependent on actual results in game situations. If it is only a belief then I can believe I am a clutch MLB hitter without even having to prove it on the field. We aren't discussing religion, are we?

That's how it works with beliefs. Give me your gut success rate that you base it on. Otherwise, you are just making it up based on your personal feelings. Others with more analytical skills have already analyzed clutch and found it lacks evidence. Give me your reasoning, even if it is in words. I didn't set an ironclad 51% rate, I am using this as a starting point. Negotiate whatever number you want it to be. Then give me examples of players who meet your standards. Or just give me players that you know are clutch and tell me how you know. As I said before, none of us are sitting on the bench next to any of these players. All we have are observations from a distance and statistics.
    Let me say this once again. Do I need to put it all in caps? I am not trying to prove anything to you or to make you believe in anything. You are the one trying oh so hard to invalidate it. So, go ahead and come up with some hard data to disprove it, but first come up with a definitive measure that would establish it.

People can believe anything they want. There is nothing to stop them. That does not mean all beliefs mean anything except to the individual. I didn't realize that clutch was merely a belief. I thought it was dependent on actual results in game situations. If it is only a belief then I can believe I am a clutch MLB hitter without even having to prove it on the field. We aren't discussing religion, are we?
    Why? Do you believe that you are God?

Let me say this once again. Do I need to put it all in caps? I am not trying to prove anything to you or to make you believe in anything. You are the one trying oh so hard to invalidate it. So, go ahead and come up with some hard data to disprove it, but first come up with a definite measure that would establish it.
    And you refuse to define in any way what I am supposedly invalidating. What does it mean to believe in clutch? What is the meaning of clutch? Is clutch dependent on results? Does clutch produce observable actions? How do you feel clutch? What tells you when you are looking at a clutch player?

Why? Do you believe that you are God?
    I can believe anything.

I have asked him to prove his case, as I am not trying to prove a case.
    It is patently obvious what you are doing.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

I can believe anything.
    Good for you.