Register now to remove this ad

Page 177 of 201 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I don't believe that hitting is contagious game to game, but I do believe that it can be contagious AB to AB.

The thing I've always wondered about is whether that's because of the adrenaline of the hitters or if it's because the pitcher loses his focus and gives up better pitches to hit. Or a combination of the two.
    Adrenaline is bad for hitting. Bad pitching is good for hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Only real difference is Ortiz vs Moreland.
    What past teams are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    Adrenaline is bad for hitting. Bad pitching is good for hitting.
    No to the first sentence, yes to the second.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike in past years, where the team could always battle and often beat premium pitchers, this group looks helpless against top pitchers.
    Yes it does seem that way.

Of course with no supporting stats I must be wrong.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Mookie has always done this. He has one fantastic game and we get all excited. He still needs to do this more consistently. But a lot of the young hitters are like that.
    Consistency (or lack thereof) has been an issue all season long and we do have a lot of young hitters..
    They've got a respectable run differential because of good pitching and their habit of scoring 8+ runs about once every 6 or 8 games and less than 5 the rest of the time.

Let's hope the consistency improves next season.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    No to the first sentence, yes to the second.
    I am not an Endocrinologist but I would expect adrenaline to enhance and accelerate all body functions.

I bet Dr. Jacko could enlighten us with facts.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I had to rehash this. I read it earlier. Emp you come up with some really good stuff. I thought this was really strange reading this...
    Thanks SoxHop, but I'm just confused. LOL It's been a difficult team to figure out, and not for lack of trying by any of us on here, all season long. They're not a bad team, but they are a weird one. I hope they can find the right switch to flip come play off time and show what they're capable of. The talent is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Thanks SoxHop, but I'm just confused. LOL It's been a difficult team to figure out, and not for lack of trying by any of us on here, all season long. They're not a bad team, but they are a weird one. I hope they can find the right switch to flip come play off time and show what they're capable of. The talent is there.
    "Weird" describes them perfectly.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Consistency (or lack thereof) has been an issue all season long and we do have a lot of young hitters..
    They've got a respectable run differential because of good pitching and their habit of scoring 8+ runs about once every 6 or 8 games and less than 5 the rest of the time.

Let's hope the consistency improves next season.
    Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yes it does seem that way.

Of course with no supporting stats I must be wrong.
    You are. And what past teams are we talking about?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike in past years, where the team could always battle and often beat premium pitchers, this group looks helpless against top pitchers.
    Maybe, maybe not--and I am referring to past years. Look at 2013 and winning the WS. We had the best hitting and scoring in the AL, but in the ALCS against Detroit we lost game 1, 1-0, and won game 3, 1-0. Lester was great in game 1 and Lackey even better in game 3. But we could easily have lost both but for that 7th inning dinger by Napoli (off Verlander) in game 3.

This year, no question we seem to struggle against good pitching. What gives me some hope is that on August 12 we beat the Yankees Severino 10-5, on August 20 the Yankees' Gray 5-1, on August 22 the Indians Carrasco 9-1, and on August 23 the Indians Kluber (yes, that Kluber) 6-1.

Maybe August is ancient history and should be totally discounted. But maybe not.

Mookie has always done this. He has one fantastic game and we get all excited. He still needs to do this more consistently.
    Not to be a wiseass, but...well, OK, I am a wiseass...nobody has 11 total bases in a game consistently.

I'm guessing Mookie will end up with an OPS of .825 or more this year...down from last year but still decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not to be a wiseass, but...well, OK, I am a wiseass...nobody has 11 total bases in a game consistently.

I'm guessing Mookie will end up with an OPS of .825 or more this year...down from last year but still decent.
    I don't expect him to. I'm just saying that he has these one game outbursts that may make him look better than he is. He does not consistently produce game to game. This kind of stuff seems common with him. Other players don't seem to have as many of these big offensive games as Mookie does. Of course, like clutch, it is not a repeatable skill. And maybe he really doesn't have more of these type of games than other players. But when he does, they are as spectacular as fireworks and get our attention.

The weakness of looking at season averages is that they don't tell you how the player got there. They don't measure consistency.

The weakness of looking at season averages is that they don't tell you how the player got there. They don't measure consistency.
    I can't disagree with that. But when you find a stat that measures a hitter's consistency let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I can't disagree with that. But when you find a stat that measures a hitter's consistency let me know.
    That's where game logs come in handy.
    There are 2 or three games stretches where Mookie iwas getting multiple XBH, followed by fairly long stretches of 0-1 hits per game.

How that compares to other hitters takes more time, but it does give you an idea of how often he goes on a tear, then quiets down.
    Maybe he's just another streaky hitter.
    Seems like we've got a lot of them.