Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sox losing a lot of personnel

Sox losing a lot of personnel

I wasn't too concerned about the GM position. Being President of baseball operations, DD is pretty much the GM. However, seeing this mass exodus of VP of Int'l & amateur scouting Sawdaye (Arizona), Assistant director of amateur scouting Sanders (Toronto) sorta' worries me a little. Senior analyst Tom Tippett is another familiar name who's left. Deeble (who I'm not familiar with) has left as well. I'm not suggesting anything of why, besides promotional positions from other teams they couldn't get here mainly. Plus, I think they've done a great job and ( besides SP which isn't entirely their fault) set us up nicely... all things considered. Does anyone here have an inside track as to who the Sox would or should be looking towards for replacements?

I am concerned with the number of FO personnel that are leaving. I was concerned with Hazen leaving. I have become more concerned as others have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I am concerned with the number of FO personnel that are leaving. I was concerned with Hazen leaving. I have become more concerned as others have left.
    I'm guessing your concern centers around which choices DD makes for replacements?

So far he has promoted guys from within, I think. Let's hope they carry over at least some of the knowledge and mindset of the Theo and even Ben years.

I think while DD is a big name exec, the ownership will require certain aspects of the former regime remain.

Who knows?

My Immediate concern is continuity of effort. I hope that things continue to get done.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'm worried more about losing Papi, Ziegler, Koji and Taz.

Deity
    I agree with you and I sense a mini-conspiracy theory brewing. I don't want them to become top heavy with unnecessary personnel. We are all replaceable! My concern is much more directed toward the players playing as opposed to the executives exectiveing.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm worried more about losing Papi, Ziegler, Koji and Taz.
    I mean long-term, losing (if I had to pick the main dude) Sawdaye is kind of a big deal to me. We wouldn't feel the loss of him right away. Who knows? Maybe they bring in guys that are better at recognizing great pichers than position players... that could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I agree with you and I sense a mini-conspiracy theory brewing. I don't want them to become top heavy with unnecessary personnel. We are all replaceable! My concern is much more directed toward the players playing as opposed to the executives exectiveing.
    Like I mentioned, there will be no conspiracy theory from me. People move on. Sawdaye is a big loss though.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Like I mentioned, there will be no conspiracy theory from me. People move on. Sawdaye is a big loss though.
    You are probably right. You know more about whoever he/she is than I do. I will say again though that whatever the role unless they actually play the game they are replaceable and probably easily. Sometimes we tend to make people out to be much more special than they are. It will be a temporary loss and certainly doesn't reflect on the direction the organization is going with respect to the product on the field.
    I'm sure that some might try to make this a DD story of sorts. That will be too bad!

People have always left. People left while Theo was here. If you have good staff, they aren't going to stick around forever because there will always be a logjam at the top (not everyone can be GM).

As long as their younger replacements are sufficient, we shouldn't worry too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I'm guessing your concern centers around which choices DD makes for replacements?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    People have always left. People left while Theo was here. If you have good staff, they aren't going to stick around forever because there will always be a logjam at the top (not everyone can be GM).

As long as their younger replacements are sufficient, we shouldn't worry too much.
    My concern is not with the guys leaving, per se. It's with the direction that the team building philosophy might turn towards.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, nor brewing a conspiracy theory, nor saying that the franchise is doomed. I am simply concerned.

My concern might end up being completely unwarranted. OTOH, it might not.

My concern is not with the guys leaving, per se. It's with the direction that the team building philosophy might turn towards.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, nor brewing a conspiracy theory, nor saying that the franchise is doomed. I am simply concerned.

My concern might end up being completely unwarranted. OTOH, it might not.
    Losing as many people as the Sox FO has is a valid concern.
    Particularly when they're some of the top people in scouting and development.

The replacement for Sawdaye may do just fine, but losing one of the guys that scouted Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, Travis Shaw, Blake Swihart, Michael Kopech and Sam Travis is not good for the Sox.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

All-Star
    No one has mentioned the promotion of Eddie Romero to assistant GM, which I liked. IMO Dombrowski has shown a preference for promoting talent from within the organization, though it's not possible to keep everyone for reasons that MVP mentioned.

All in all, I'm not terribly concerned as long as they continue to replace quality with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post

The replacement for Sawdaye may do just fine, but losing one of the guys that scouted Jackie Bradley Jr., Mookie Betts, Travis Shaw, Blake Swihart, Michael Kopech and Sam Travis is not good for the Sox.
    Of course it's a valid concern. We've lost some good people. It may end up not making a difference. Then again, it might.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post

Can I just say it? Our development department has spent the last several years not smelling like roses. It's one thing to "hit" on high picks like Betts and Bradley and high profile FA's like Bogaerts. It's another to have absolutely no homegrown home-drafted started pitching make the roster since Clay Buchholz did it nearly 10 years ago

We've got a few reasonably decent hits on position players, but the scouting and development for pitching has stank on ice. Maybe it's time to turn some of these guys over and bring in some fresh ideas.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Can I just say it? Our development department has spent the last several years not smelling like roses. It's one thing to "hit" on high picks like Betts and Bradley and high profile FA's like Bogaerts. It's another to have absolutely no homegrown home-drafted started pitching make the roster since Clay Buchholz did it nearly 10 years ago

We've got a few reasonably decent hits on position players, but the scouting and development for pitching has stank on ice. Maybe it's time to turn some of these guys over and bring in some fresh ideas.
    When your farm system has been ranked so highly by several different people who rank these things, your draft and development department is doing something very right. Yes, they've lagged on the pitching side of things, but I think there are two significant contributing factors to that. One is that they haven't typically had high draft picks. Two is that their philosophy was typically to draft the best player available rather than draft a position of need.

I'm not saying that we don't need improvement in the area of developing our own pitching, but I think you're selling them a little short.