Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 410 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

All-Star
    I do think we're well-positioned to win in 2018-19 (after which Sale, the various B's, and others will start hitting free agency if not extended), independent of whether or not one believes in the "cliff."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Crazy impossible three way trade that will never happen

Cubs get: Jackie Bradley
    Marlins get: Addison Russell, Michael Chavis and Rusney Castillo
    Red Sox get: Giancarlo Stanton, Edinson Vazquez and Martin Prado

Marlins free tons of money, even with taking back Castillo, whose Cuban heritage is a plus for them. (As is his defense.) They also get 3 arbitration years of a very good tshortstop. And a good 3b prospect.

Cubs fill the biggest hole in their lineup with a guy their FO drafted and do so without dropping $70-80 mill on Lorenzo Cain.

Sox get a new LF, SP, and Prado, who is otherwise immovable to the Marlins. A lot of money, although Volquez has only one year left. Prado really can't play 2b anymore and might end up platooning at first with either an internal candidate (Swihart? ) or a cheap external one (non-tender candidate CJ Cron?)

I might be too far outside the box here. Where's that box again?
    I heard the Cubs want Benintendi, if you switch them is a proposal the cubs might take, by the way I don't see the Marlins taking on Castillo, they want to go as low as possible with the payroll, they might accept a lower level prospect instead of him

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The idea of dealing JBJ is simply because the Red Sox could actually improve CF internally.
    2017 WAR:
    Benintendi: 2.6
    JBj: 2.8
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    2017 WAR:
    Benintendi: 2.6
    JBj: 2.8
    Wrong internal improvement

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I heard the Cubs want Benintendi, if you switch them is a proposal the cubs might take, by the way I don't see the Marlins taking on Castillo, they want to go as low as possible with the payroll, they might accept a lower level prospect instead of him
    Benintendi was number 26 on Fangraphs trade value list. Russell was 40. Bradley 46. 40 for 46 seemed like the most even swap. If the Cubs want Benintendi, it will cost them a lot more than just Addison Russell.

If Castillo is removed, I'd also take out Prado. Personally I prefer Castillo to Prado, who is pretty much done and owed $28mill over the next two years. Castillo ($37mill over the next 3) is owed more for longer, but also is more likely to contribute. Neither is a key component in the trade.

I do figure since Castillo is at least a decent defensive player, he can add value with his glove. Prado is now an oft-injured worn down player who provided negative value in a quarter of a season last year

Personally I'd rather have Castillo among the two. So I am assuming Miami also would.

Both can be left out...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I do think we're well-positioned to win in 2018-19 (after which Sale, the various B's, and others will start hitting free agency if not extended), independent of whether or not one believes in the "cliff."
    Has nothing to do with a belief in a mythical coming cliff. That is reality. Pretty sure that everybody is aware that contracts come to their conclusion. Players get traded, drafts are dealt with, new contracts get signed. Do you think maybe that this reality that has always existed represents some sort of dark foreboding cliff that we hear so much about? It surely has given some a topic to talk, vent, and gripe about. That's about it .

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think DD also felt Hernandez was a capable replacement for Pablito, but then he got hurt.
    I think you are right. He traded the obvious replacement away without bringing in another 3b man. Between Hernandez and Holt he probably figured they could get by for the short term at least.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Stop misrepresenting my position.

1) I said I'm fine with keeping Devers at 1B, if we make big strides in building up our offense at 1B.
    2) I said I think Devers can become a decent defensive 3Bman over time but have concerns about the "learning curve" and "on-the-job-training" during the next two years of highly competitive runs for the ring.
    3) My comment on Devers having already played 4 years of pro ball was aimed at the idea that somehow he is magically going to grow exponentially on defense in 4 months of off-season practice, when working on his defense has been a big focus for 4 years already.

I never said 4 years is all you should give a 17 year old prospect to sink or swim.

My idea of signing Moustakas, instead of Hosmer is more about not liking Hosmer than liking Moose. Moose is a better power hitter but worse at OBP. We need power. The improvement on defense at 3B for maybe 2 years tips the balance for me.

I'd rather see us sign JD Martinez or trade for Stanton. I've even mentioned I like Santana slightly more than Moose. All of these moves would keep Devers at 3B, so it's not like I'm leading a parade to move Devers off 3B.

Now, go ahead and get in your passive aggressive last word.
    I have no need to get that last word in. I merely do not agree with your opinion. The one that you keep repeating.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have no need to get that last word in. I merely do not agree with your opinion. The one that you keep repeating.
    So, when you respond, it's not "the last word". When I do, it is. Okay.

One reason I keep repeating it, is because people keep misrepresenting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Word is they may pay part of his deal.

I bet they'd rather have Castillo than Pay $35M cash.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Has nothing to do with a belief in a mythical coming cliff. That is reality. Pretty sure that everybody is aware that contracts come to their conclusion. Players get traded, drafts are dealt with, new contracts get signed. Do you think maybe that this reality that has always existed represents some sort of dark foreboding cliff that we hear so much about? It surely has given some a topic to talk, vent, and gripe about. That's about it .
    I basically agree...not a "cliff" person myself, either.

Word is they may pay part of his deal.

I bet they'd rather have Castillo than Pay $35M cash.

They been on record saying that they want to shed payroll and don't see how getting Castillo fits that plan.

I don't think they would accept Castillo or pay a penny of that atrocious contract, they just want to dump it. I haven't heard a single thing about the marlins paying a portion of what's owed to Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Benintendi was number 26 on Fangraphs trade value list. Russell was 40. Bradley 46. 40 for 46 seemed like the most even swap. If the Cubs want Benintendi, it will cost them a lot more than just Addison Russell.

If Castillo is removed, I'd also take out Prado. Personally I prefer Castillo to Prado, who is pretty much done and owed $28mill over the next two years. Castillo ($37mill over the next 3) is owed more for longer, but also is more likely to contribute. Neither is a key component in the trade.

I do figure since Castillo is at least a decent defensive player, he can add value with his glove. Prado is now an oft-injured worn down player who provided negative value in a quarter of a season last year

Personally I'd rather have Castillo among the two. So I am assuming Miami also would.

Both can be left out...
    I agree that the Cubs might need to add a little more than Russell, maybe they take on Prado contract to offset the difference.

This way

Red Sox get Stanton and Volquez
    Cubs Get Benintendi and Prado
    Marlins Get Russell and Chavis

That way the Sox do not have to take on Prado's contract and the Marlins don't have to take on Castillo's

Legend
    Major League games played career
    Benintendi 185
    JBJ 527
    Screw WAR Trading Benni is going to big mistake, Theo and his team were always good Talent evaluators, if they want him, it means keep him.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 11-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Major League games played career
    Benintendi 185
    JBJ 527
    Screw WAR Trading Benni is going to big mistake, Theo and his team were always good Talent evaluators, if they want him, it means keep him.
    Possible games of team control left:

JBJ: 480
    Beni: 800