Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DD be fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    This is a logical and fair assessment.

I agree.
    In some ways yes, but I don't see how the Lackey decision negatively affected this year.

Yes, I'd rather have Lester & Encarnacion than Porcello, Pablo, Moreland & HRam.

The poster also does not credit Ben for supplying the stacked farm that allowed DD to acquire Sale, Pom and Kimbrel.

This is a very pointless thread. If anybody gets fired, it's Farrell
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    This is a very pointless thread. If anybody gets fired, it's Farrell
    While agree there is a zero percent chance DD gets fired, I do think it's fine for people who think he should be fired to express their opinions.

I've never been a DD fan, and I firmly disagree with 2 of his moves while being ambivalent over the Price signing. I can understand those who disagreed with his philosophy to get even more upset over the fact that the rationalization of his philosophy was that we'd be HIGHLY competitive for 3-5 years. The quick exit last year and the two blow-out losses this year has driven some of those to this point.

I am not for firing DD this winter. I think every GM deserves 5 years. If the GM is spending large and trading many prospects, I can see giving just a 3-4 year window. A plan like Ben's, I feel, deserved a 5 year window.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    In some ways yes, but I don't see how the Lackey decision negatively affected this year.

Yes, I'd rather have Lester & Encarnacion than Porcello, Pablo, Moreland & HRam.

The poster also does not credit Ben for supplying the stacked farm that allowed DD to acquire Sale, Pom and Kimbrel.

Sale and Pom may not have been necessary gets if Boy Blunder had not blown up the rotation which necessitated using prospect chips to rebuild.

The Lackey trade was just fucking dumb. All we got from that move was a functional pen arm.

I don't need to hear the speculation that Lackey was not going to play for the minimum in Boston. That argument is tired and without substantiation.

Bennie fucked up, plain and simple.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

There is no doubt that Ben Cherrington totally screwed up the rotation. Dombrowski came in and tried to fix what Cherrington screwed up. I'm just worried that Dombrowski has made matters worse in the long term by trading away Kopech.....

While agree there is a zero percent chance DD gets fired, I do think it's fine for people who think he should be fired to express their opinions.

I've never been a DD fan, and I firmly disagree with 2 of his moves while being ambivalent over the Price signing. I can understand those who disagreed with his philosophy to get even more upset over the fact that the rationalization of his philosophy was that we'd be HIGHLY competitive for 3-5 years. The quick exit last year and the two blow-out losses this year has driven some of those to this point.

I am not for firing DD this winter. I think every GM deserves 5 years. If the GM is spending large and trading many prospects, I can see giving just a 3-4 year window. A plan like Ben's, I feel, deserved a 5 year window.

Yes, people are allowed to express their opinions. I was expressing mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Sale and Pom may not have been necessary gets if Boy Blunder had not blown up the rotation which necessitated using prospect chips to rebuild.

The Lackey trade was just fucking dumb. All we got from that move was a functional pen arm.

I don't need to hear the speculation that Lackey was not going to play for the minimum in Boston. That argument is tired and without substantiation.

Bennie fucked up, plain and simple.
    My point was about Lackey and the 2017 team.

He should not be a part of the 2017 discussion.

1) His contract ran out before 2017.
    2) He was a non factor this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yes, people are allowed to express their opinions. I was expressing mine.
    Yes, you were, and it's a valid opinion to not want hypothesize or discuss anything beyond the possible.

Personally, I'm fine with discussing impossible or highly improbable happenings or thinking it's okay for others to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    There is no doubt that Ben Cherrington totally screwed up the rotation. Dombrowski came in and tried to fix what Cherrington screwed up. I'm just worried that Dombrowski has made matters worse in the long term by trading away Kopech.....
    That was his best trade.

Legend
    That was his best trade.
    One of the worst decisions was to retain Farrell and let Lovullo go. I can understand why it was done, but Lovullo was the up and comer for the organization and it might be difficult to find someone better if we do decide to let JF go at the end of this season/

So I guess those who would fire D think that getting Sale was obviously a terrible move, that Pablo should have been cut earlier so that Devers could have spent another year in AA, and that to replace Papi, he should have picked up one of the many many HoF hitters who were available?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    One of the worst decisions was to retain Farrell and let Lovullo go. I can understand why it was done, but Lovullo was the up and comer for the organization and it might be difficult to find someone better if we do decide to let JF go at the end of this season/
    I agree on lovullo.
    I do not think it will be hard to find some better than JF, but our pitching may suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Many of this team's issues date back to decisions from the Cherington era, from the Sandoval and Ramirez contracts to (I would argue) the botching of the Lester and Lackey trades in 2014. Right now you can fault Dombrowski for not adding a power bat last winter and for trading Shaw, but that's about it. On the other hand, we wouldn't even be in it this year without Dave's additions (Kimbrel, Sale, and Pomeranz primarily).

I would think Dave's job is not even close to being in jeopardy at this point.
    I believe that one day when the onion is peeled back, we will learn that Larry was pulling the strings on his puppet Ben from the day Theo left/Ben hired to the day Larry was fired.

Everything from valentine to Sandoval smells of Larry.

My point was about Lackey and the 2017 team.

He should not be a part of the 2017 discussion.

1) His contract ran out before 2017.
    2) He was a non factor this year.
    So I guess it is not within the realm of possibility that Lackey could have remained productive and resigned by the Sox?

Logic fail.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

As much as I dislike Farrell as a manager he did get them through to the ALE Division title overcoming some serious obstacles along the way. The fundamental problem with this team is well beyond Farrell. The team was poorly constructed from the outset offensively. To replace Ortiz they relied on a fading oft injured mercurial Hanley Ramirez who is doing his best to mimic Manny Ramirez in his declining years. Betts, Bogaerts, Pedroia, Benintendi and Bradley are essentially the same type of hitters who even at their best do not intimidate any opposing pitchers. The entire team from time to time suffers from a lack of focus which can best be attributed to their collective inexperience and the lack of a strong positive clubhouse leader instead they have the chronic whiner and sourpuss Price.

Yes Farrell has some of the blame but this is DD's team. He has made some solid moves to shore up the pitching especially in the bullpen but now he needs to turn his attention to the offense. I for one hope they do a complete rethink on their approach toward hitting to reflect the changes in the game with the advent of the widespread use of the defensive shift and power arms in virtually every bullpen.