Register now to remove this ad

Page 178 of 201 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    That's where game logs come in handy.
    There are 2 or three games stretches where Mookie iwas getting multiple XBH, followed by fairly long stretches of 0-1 hits per game.

How that compares to other hitters takes more time, but it does give you an idea of how often he goes on a tear, then quiets down.
    Maybe he's just another streaky hitter.
    Seems like we've got a lot of them.
    Similar to simply looking at total runs scored. 14-0 win followed by 1-5 and 0-1 defeats may give us 5 run per game average but fact remains we didn't hit in 2 of the 3 games. There has to be a better metric than 'average' runs per game.

Not sure what the best measurement for winning is. How about won/lost record for each team based on runs scored 0,1,2,3,4 and 5+?
    Last edited by Nick; 09-13-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I can't disagree with that. But when you find a stat that measures a hitter's consistency let me know.
    BABIP (Batting Average on Balls in Play) can sometimes help explain a player's failure to post a consistent stat line. Randomness plays a large part.

Some players seem to be streakier than others. I've divided Seattle catcher Mike Zunino's season into four uneven streaks starting with Opening Day:

29 G, .148/.227/.239/.465
    27 G, .330/.392/.725/1.117
    31 G, .160/.233/.383/.616
    22 G, .343/.432/.629/1.061

For the season Zunino has posted a .239/.316/.487/.803 line in 383 plate appearances but that line does not suggest his lack of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Similar to simply looking at total runs scored. 14-0 win followed by 1-5 and 0-1 defeats may give us 5 run per game average but fact remains we didn't hit in 2 of the 3 games. There has to be a better metric than 'average' runs per game.
    If a team is winning more than its share of blowouts and losing more than its share of close of games, or vice versa, this will show up in the difference between the actual W-L record and the Pythagorean record which is based on run differential.

There really are no perfect measurements for any of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    BABIP (Batting Average on Balls in Play) can sometimes help explain a player's failure to post a consistent stat line. Randomness plays a large part.

Some players seem to be streakier than others. I've divided Seattle catcher Mike Zunino's season into four uneven streaks starting with Opening Day:

29 G, .148/.227/.239/.465
    27 G, .330/.392/.725/1.117
    31 G, .160/.233/.383/.616
    22 G, .343/.432/.629/1.061

For the season Zunino has posted a .239/.316/.487/.803 line in 383 plate appearances but that line does not suggest his lack of consistency.
    One of the most uncanny up and down seasons I've seen was Jason Bay in 2009. Here are his OPS by month:

A 1.123
    M .978
    J .701
    J .689
    A 1.097
    S .966

It all added up to a .921 with 36 HR and 119 RBI. A great season, in spite of the fact he was not very good in June or July.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I can't disagree with that. But when you find a stat that measures a hitter's consistency let me know.
    no stat for it = it doesnt exist
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    I wonder if there is a statistic which considers our hitting vs the era of the pitcher we face. Complicated to do since we face so many pitchers in the course of a game. Tonight the guy has higher than a 5 rpg era. We should hit him better. You would think up against Kluber we would hit much worse. Baseball is a crazy game and it doesn't work that way so much on a game by game basis, but it should be on an average basis over time. Thats unless Apple Watches come into play.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I wonder if there is a statistic which considers our hitting vs the era of the pitcher we face. Complicated to do since we face so many pitchers in the course of a game. Tonight the guy has higher than a 5 rpg era. We should hit him better. You would think up against Kluber we would hit much worse. Baseball is a crazy game and it doesn't work that way so much on a game by game basis, but it should be on an average basis over time. Thats unless Apple Watches come into play.
    We beat some pretty good pitchers, 12-23 Aug. Was that by means of the apple watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    We beat some pretty good pitchers, 12-23 Aug. Was that by means of the apple watches?
    maybe. that's the problem with cheating. and getting caught.
    other names i have posted under: none

Consistency (or lack thereof) has been an issue all season long and we do have a lot of young hitters..
    They've got a respectable run differential because of good pitching and their habit of scoring 8+ runs about once every 6 or 8 games and less than 5 the rest of the time.

Let's hope the consistency improves next season.
    The run differential is really the bottom line. OK, not really. Wins and losses are. But in terms of how good a team is overall, run differential is it. It doesn't matter whether the run differential comes from pitching or hitting.

"Weird" describes them perfectly.
    I think the word we're looking for here is 'enigma'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Not sure what the best measurement for winning is. How about won/lost record for each team based on runs scored 0,1,2,3,4 and 5+?
    Run Differential

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Run Differential
    Lack of hitting with runners in scoring position. Not enough guys who in the end who put the bat on the ball and hit it hard. We had another example of that tonight. Nunez would help but that is all we have left to change the dynamic of this team. Betts back to popping out. Leon an easy mark. Lots of ground balls with men in scoring position. Taking good pitching and swinging at ones out of the zone. Lots of players do it for all teams, but our team just doesn't have enough to get the runs in. Pretty discouraging watching this team unable to get the hit they when they needed it.

That is not to mention a subpar pitching performance from our starter and relief pitching was not particularly sharp.

I think the word we're looking for here is 'enigma'.
    Who the heck can spell "enigma" off the top of their head,
    besides you?
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Yeah, I've fallen into the trap, where I think "this game is their breakout game!"
    If the season continues like it has previously, they'll score 2 runs tonight.
    Well, they fooled me, they scored 3.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Run Differential
    Sox are 7th behind Indians, Dodgers, Yankees, Nationals, Diamondbacks and Astros. It's interesting that the 'Stros are only 6th. Their offense has been a powerhouse. Their rotation is solid, but not spectacular. I don't know much about their pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")