Register now to remove this ad

Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1598

Thread: Red Sox Trade Deadline 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Hmmm.
    LOL I have always said that I will quit or give up on a Red Sox season (before mathematical elimination) when Pedroia gives up on the season. It hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    LOL I have always said that I will quit or give up on a Red Sox season (before mathematical elimination) when Pedroia gives up on the season. It hasn't happened yet.
    That's different from leadership.

Pedey has a strong competitive drive.
    In some ways that's "leadership" by example.

I just don't get a strong sense that Pedey does anything beyond his intense on-field attitude (that I greatly admire, I might add) to "lead this team".

We're not privy to much of what goes on or is said in the clubhouse and hotel rooms between players, so I'm not taking a stand on anyone's leadership or poor attitude arguments, unless clear evidence is presented.

Major Leaguer
    If I were Miami, I'd jump all over it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Yeah, Nunez is getting a lot of love right now because of his hot hitting, but he is not the answer as our full time shortstop, or full time anything, IMO.
    He is a full time bat who can play a bunch of positions poorly (but better than say, Hanley as a LF). Basically he's a better Brock Holt - but in the land of 12 man pitching staffs that is a very valuable guy to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    He is a full time bat who can play a bunch of positions poorly (but better than say, Hanley as a LF). Basically he's a better Brock Holt - but in the land of 12 man pitching staffs that is a very valuable guy to have around.
    I wonder if anyone would want Holt in trade. I'm not expecting anything worthwhile, but maybe we could get a single A somewhat high ceiling/low floor type player.

Even if we don't bring Nunez back, we could go with a 4 man Holt-free bench like this (assuming we sign a 1Bman):

C Leon (Swihart)
    IF Hernandez
    IF Travis, Lin or Marrero (Maybe Chavis mid season)
    OF Brentz (maybe Chavis, if he learns to play LF)

Legend
    I wonder if anyone would want Holt in trade. I'm not expecting anything worthwhile, but maybe we could get a single A somewhat high ceiling/low floor type player.

Even if we don't bring Nunez back, we could go with a 4 man Holt-free bench like this (assuming we sign a 1Bman):

C Leon (Swihart)
    IF Hernandez
    IF Travis, Lin or Marrero (Maybe Chavis mid season)
    OF Brentz (maybe Chavis, if he learns to play LF)
    I assume we stand pat with the basic outfield of Beni, JBJ and Betts with Pedey, Bogaerts and Devers in the infield. Catching has worked out better than I expected with Vaz and Leon. Hanley will be here next year. That leaves us with a need for a 1st baseman, 2 backup infielders and a backup outfielder.

With Pedey and Hanley likely to need more rest than the other younger players Nunez fits well into this scheme and we woulld like to have his bat in the lineup all the time. That is a management issue to choose who sits to keep him in. I certainly hope we can resign him. I like Lin as our second backup infielder. He is flexible, can play short, second and third. I like his plate approach and speed.

If Moreland, Holt and Young all go then we really need to go out into the market and find another 1st baseman with a good glove and who hits with power. Maybe Hanley will still be able to fill in at that position once in a while. Will Brentz or Chavis be able to take the backup outfield position?

There is a question about keeping all the younger players with Bogey's frustratingly long slump being a reason to consider a change. I personally hope he pulls out of it and makes that question moot.

JF appears to be enamored of Holt. If JF is back then Holt may be. Maybe we ought to replace the hitting coach as well, following a season where so many BA's have gone in the wrong direction.

Nunez will become a luxury that you cannot afford at the end of the season. The sox will let him walk and chase a payday as a super UTIL who combines hit and speed to be an everyday player. He'll get 8 figures annually

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Nunez will become a luxury that you cannot afford at the end of the season. The sox will let him walk and chase a payday as a super UTIL who combines hit and speed to be an everyday player. He'll get 8 figures annually
    He's been a pretty steady hitter his whole career that can steal a base along w/ slightly below average to average defense but versatile. Is he playing over his head or does his swing simply play well at Fenway? I'd have to think coming just recently from AT&T that ranks 2nd and 1st as a Pitcher's Park as the least amount of runs and home runs respectively, and to now playing in Fenway could help any hitter. You have to remember too, that the Sox lineup before Nunez had trouble scoring, but not too much trouble getting on base. Nunez having a career year being thrown into the mix of a good lineup (in most respects) playing home at a top 5 Hitter's friendly ball park could be a factor as well. I have my doubts Sox can afford him next season too and 8 figres is probably right.

First priority is a power hitter- probably 1B, but 2B or DH could work too. If we then have space for Nunez we should make a strong bid for him.

Nunez is a must re-sign this offseason. The power Devers provides will see a less urgent to overpay a Eric Hosmer.

Hopefully we'll have good Wright back next year and give us much needed depth. Sale, Price, Pom, E Rod, Porcello and Wright will form one of best starting rotation in majors.

Getting Carson Smith back in September will also strengthen our bullpen. I am absolutely sold on Workman. He exudes confidence that I don't see from Barnes and Kelly.

We just need a big bat at 1B.

I will still look for big trade possibilities. You never know if another Chris Sale deal is out there.

Legend
    The thing about Nunez is his swing, looks like its made for Fenway. Have to consider him.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    The thing about Nunez is his swing, looks like its made for Fenway. Have to consider him.
    Not re-signing him means we'll be two players down, him and a power bat at 1B. This is why we are resetting the penalty rate this year. So we can go over next year, and I'm not really concerned about 'super' tax for going beyond the $20M threashhold.

It's long freakin' season and he's the true super utility guy, not some mediocre ballplayer JF is in love with. UPGRADE THE TALENT, JOHN. FUCK YOUR DAMN LOYALTY.

That's different from leadership.

Pedey has a strong competitive drive.
    In some ways that's "leadership" by example.

I just don't get a strong sense that Pedey does anything beyond his intense on-field attitude (that I greatly admire, I might add) to "lead this team".

We're not privy to much of what goes on or is said in the clubhouse and hotel rooms between players, so I'm not taking a stand on anyone's leadership or poor attitude arguments, unless clear evidence is presented.

Leading by example is definitely leadership, probably more so than merely saying things.

As far as what may or may not go on in the clubhouse, I have to go with what guys like Ross have said about him.

I suppose being moved 10 slots down in next year's draft isn't going to hurt us too badly. Maybe we'll go over by $30M next year. Sign someone like Duda & Nunez. Or, maybe trade for a bigger bat and sign Nunez.