Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros 10/9, ALDS game 4

Deity

Astros 10/9, ALDS game 4

Two righties again, Morton v. Porcello

Once more into the breach. The Sox starter is again vastly overmatched on paper despite having been last year's Cy Young winner.

I have disparaged our starters as much as anyone, but have to say that the Astros are definitely part of the problem which we saw in the final four game series at Fenway. Those guys can hit, and Altuve is off the charts with an OPS of 2.333 in 3 games.

Even with Price unavailable today, I by no means think the cause is hopeless. Porcello certainly knows what he has to do. Backing him up will be Kimbrel, Reed, Maddox, Smith, maybe Kelly, and ERod or Sale.

Yesterday I opined Farrell might tweak the top of the lineup, but he did not. He still could do that today given that Bogie and Beni have .000 and .397 OPS's in the first three games to go along with 7 K's (4 by Bogie, 3 by Beni) and 2 singles (both by Beni).

On the other hand, the Sox still scored 10 runs yesterday with the top 4 slots--Bogie, Pedey, Beni, and Betts--going 2 for 18 and 2 runs scored. The top four in the Astros lineup went 8 for 19 and batted in all 3 of their runs, but that was it.

Here's an interesting stat: the Astros have scored 2 + 2 + 3 runs in the first innings of the ALDS, which means the pitching coach should do his darndest to have Porcello ready from the get go. For that matter, 4 or 5 decent innings from Porcello would be manna, a triumph on the order of Pom's start to lock down the AL East title.

Looks to be a long, frustrating, and soggy game if they get it in at all.

All-Star
    It would not surprise me one bit to see Holt in there replacing either Bogaerts or Pedroia/
    On the other hand after seeing Farrell benching Debers in Game 2, I guess we expect most anything.

Game should have been moved to 12.

To me, as long as we win at home, it never mattered what game we needed to take from Houston on their own turf. We just needed to win one out of the three. Again, Sox need to keep the game close to get to Houston’s bullpen. That’s the game plan. Not sure if rain out would help the Sox or hurt them at this point. Might fuck up thier momentum on the one hand. On the other hand, it could be better to rest thier SPers.
    Last edited by Emp9; 10-09-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Legend
    Bauer for the Indians is coming back tonight, with only 3 days rest. That's interesting.

The sox should be going for the throat here with Sale. Morton is okay, but not the true quality playoff pitcher of say a Verlander or Keuchel. If I was Hinch, I’d have Verlander go on short rest and Keuchel go on regular rest if needed. By going to Morton, it opens your team up to win a slugfest. The problem is, Porcello in Fenway vs this team is moronic. Right handed power in a righty power bandbox against the pitcher who led the league in HR allowed. The sox should hope it stays damp to try to keep the ball from flying out.

This is going to be a disaster. I'm surprised so many of you have this much confidence in Porcello. He is going to get rocked by the Astros. He's a guy who gives up a lot of home runs and he is going up against a team who hit a lot of home runs. Let's hope for rain so we dont have to have him pitch.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

“sox should hope it stays damp to try to keep the ball from flying out.”

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The sox should be going for the throat here with Sale. Morton is okay, but not the true quality playoff pitcher of say a Verlander or Keuchel. If I was Hinch, I’d have Verlander go on short rest and Keuchel go on regular rest if needed. By going to Morton, it opens your team up to win a slugfest. The problem is, Porcello in Fenway vs this team is moronic. Right handed power in a righty power bandbox against the pitcher who led the league in HR allowed. The sox should hope it stays damp to try to keep the ball from flying out.
    Right! Thank God someone sees this the way I do.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

“Let's hope for rain so we dont have to have him pitch.”

And now the other hand makes a good point. Lol

I can’t decide.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    ... The sox should hope it stays damp to try to keep the ball from flying out.
    The problem with that theory is (1) a wet ball is harder to control, and (2) contrary to popular belief, damp humid air is lighter and provides less resistance than dry air, so equally well hit balls will travel farther.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    The problem with that theory is (1) a wet ball is harder to control, and (2) contrary to popular belief, damp humid air is lighter and provides less resistance than dry air, so equally well hit balls will travel farther.
    The air may be lighter, but the rain is heavier, no?

Rain rain, don't go away. Porcello is going to ruin the day.

The current weather forecast would suggest there is no way they can play baseball in Boston this afternoon.