Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Yankees Draft

Evil Emperor

Re: 2008 Yankees Draft

Bill what crawled up you? It isn't that serious. There are 50 rounds, why are you so hung up on this one pick? Secondly, you're not a scout so I dont understand your strongly stated opinion regarding this kid. The Yankees drafted him last year too, so obviously there's something they like. Even if his ceiling isn't that high, does it hurt to take a shot on a guy who can throw with both arms? I also want to point out that most drafted pitchers don't throw upwards of 95. 86 to 89, while not overpowering is fine. I interned with a NY-Penn League team last summer and got to see a lot of draftees in their first year of pro ball, and guess what; most of them don't throw 94, 95, 96+. Success isn't based solely on how hard you throw the ball, more importantly is how you can control it and what you can do with your pitches. None of us have even seen this dude pitch yet, so lets save our critique.

I also don't understand your point in trying to compare picks from a particular round. It's so insignificant, it hardly matters. Theres <b>50</b> picks. Believe it or not a few 1st rounders from this draft wont make it, and in all likelihood a few 35-50th rounders will. The draft is a crapshoot in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk Bill;328565;
    OK, with you so far.

We'll see. Meyer is being advised by Boras, and the Red Sox FO appears to have a "special relationship" with Boras at times. :thumbsup:
    well, there is a problem. Typically, outside of the first round, it is frowned upon to offer late round picks more than a million. Now the sox wouldnt be the first team to break that unspoken rule, but even the yankees havent strayed past it recently (Angelini, Betances, Jackson, etc have all gotten 1 mil or less in rounds 8-10). Meyer is asking for top 5-10 pick money, ie 7-10 mil. AND, Boras loves to have his kids go to college if they dont get exactly what they want. IE, if the sox sign him, they will catch hell from the commish. But then again, if the commish really wanted to fix it, he'd force the players union to agree to slotting.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk Bill;328632;
    Cut the crap, Yankees fan.

You're a self-stated intern. Does that put you in a position to disrespect a Red Sox fan's opinion on a Red Sox board?

I believe them to be incorrect.

Can he throw with both arms to the same batter?

How many post-college draftees lack a 90 mph fastball?

I never asserted that "upwards of 95" was the norm. I asserted that 86-89 was low. Challenge that. Show some fucking evidence. You had the balls to challenge me and to fabricate a position for me--support a challenge to my actual position, admit that you were wrong, or shut the fuck up.
    Righties maxing out at 89-90 get drafted typically in the late rounds if they had solid college numbers and proved to have solid off speed stuff. Venditte has ridiculous K numbers in a minor conference league, but he doesnt have the dynamite breaking pitch from the right side like he does from the left. IE, if he didnt have the added bonus of throwing left handed, he would not have been drafted IMO. Regardless, it doesnt matter where you take your fillers. The late rounds for the big market clubs typically have 3-5 signability guys, multiple filler picks and then a ton of projects. Venditte from either side alone screams filler. If he can become serviceable from both sides, then he could be a MR at best. He certainly doesnt seem likely to be a MLBer
    Hal sucks

Evil Emperor

did a bunch of these posts get deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6;328925;
    did a bunch of these posts get deleted?
    I moved them to fights and crap and then removed the thread. Carry on.

Evil Emperor

So they're not even in fights and crap or anything??

Everyone on this thread retired at age 40 or so? I'm 49 and still working. I need to get forced into early retirement. I think I'll start sleeping at my desk. Maybe management will look to retire me.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

In addition to OF Chris Smith (5th round) and OF Tommy Baldridge (33rd round), the Yankees have signed these picks over the last few days:

8. Dan Brewer, OF, Bradley

14. David Phelps, RHP, Notre Dame

19. Mitch Abieta, C, Nebraska

21. Mitch Delaney, 1B, Western Texas JC

Of the 51 picks, 24 have signed. Teams have until Aug. 15 to sign their picks. Otherwise they go back in the pool for next season.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/06/1...ur-picks-sign/

Chris Smith is one hell of a pick. He batted .708 in HS this past yr coming out of Comptom, grades out as having plus power and plus plate discipline for an 18 yr old. I am surprised we signed him for slot. I would have expected to see him sign for over slot, but then again he is a poor kid so the 90K or so he will get should help.
    Hal sucks

The first signability domino has fallen.

Matt Richardson, our 15th round pick has signed per lohud and nomaas. He is a 6'3" high schooler who pitched for the first time this season. He was clocked as high as 93 mph and is considered a very projectable pitcher. With his frame and live arm, he should be expected to add a few ticks to the radar, but he is very raw and likely will go slowly through the system.
    Hal sucks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;328929;
    Everyone on this thread retired at age 40 or so? I'm 49 and still working. I need to get forced into early retirement. I think I'll start sleeping at my desk. Maybe management will look to retire me.
    Im 35 and still working. I plan to, but who knows these days?
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/06/2...sign-fsus-rye/

The Yankees (according to the Florida State War Chant message board folks) have signed OF Jack Rye and sent him to Staten Island.

Rye, you will recall, played for the only high school team that ever beat Phil Hughes.

Former Hidden Valley pitcher Mikey O’Brien has signed with the Yankees, bypassing a college career, his father said Thursday.

Jim O’Brien said the 18-year-old right-hander – selected by New York in the ninth round of the amateur draft on June 6 -- took a flight to the Yankees offices in Tampa, Fla., and signed the paperwork Wednesday. Mikey O’Brien was expected to return to Roanoke on Thursday evening with his older brother, Eric, who traveled with him.
    http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/167163

O'Brien and Richardson constitute two of the high end HSers that the yankees drafted in the higher rounds. There are still a ton to go with Monar and Dwyer likely being the most coveted of them. But O'Brien is a small framed pitcher who can get the ball to 96 mph as an 18 yr old. Very projectable breaking ball and crude change. He is a project just like Richardson, but he is a bit more refined at this point in his career.
    Hal sucks

First of all, you will be hearing a lot of "rumors" about signings. Since Selig's edict about paying slot, many teams are waiting to announce their over slot signings until the Aug 15th deadline so over slot signings dont mess with other teams negotiations.

As is Boras' style, the Yankees and Cole havent had much of any discussion on money. He typically starts negotiating Aug 1st.

As for the rest, Jeremy Bleich is rumored to have agreed to a 1 mil bonus.

Scott Bittle and the Yankees are pretty far apart. Bittle wants close to a mil, and the yankees are offering in the mid 6 figures range after a physical showed some laxity in his rotator cuff.

7th round HS power hitting catcher Kyle Higashioka is rumored to have agreed to a 750K bonus

6th round HS power pitcher Brett Marshall is rumored to have accepted 750K

and another difficult signee, 10th round pitcher from Clemson, DJ Mitchell and the Yankees are rumored to have agreed to a 500K bonus.

No work on the late round difficult signees Monar, Dwyer and others.
    Hal sucks