Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospect Update Thread

Prospect Update Thread

The individual player threads aren't really updated too often in between big events. So I'm making this thread to just give periodic updates on some of the prospects (I also post these on another site).

August 3rd 2008 Update

SP Bowden (AAA) - Getting hit around a bit, but his BABIP is extremely high and his K/BB is very good.
    15.2 IP, 22 hits, 0 BB, 13 K, 5.17 ERA

1B Anderson (AA) - Holding his own in AA, not a whole lot of power just yet though SSS.
    36 AB, .306/.395/.361/.756

OF Kalish (A) - Very high potential, completely destroyed SS A ball last year before injuring his wrist but is performing well, not much power yet either.
    320 AB, .294/.389/.372/.761

OF Lin (A) - The futures game MVP, left team to play for Taiwan in the Olympics

MR Bard (AA) - Impressive strikeout numbers, walks a bit too high as of now.
    37.2 IP, 27 hits, 19 BB, 46 K, 2.63 ERA

SS Gibson (Rookie League) - 18 year old 2nd round pick in 2008 off to a very nice start in his pro career.
    45 AB, .311/.429/.422/.851

SP Piminetel (SS-A) - 18 year old international signing a year ago, played in the Dominican Summer League and has been playing for the Spinners this year. Has very good potential, from reports his curveball and change-up look like they have very good potential.
    42.0 IP, 34 hits, 11 BB, 44 K, 3.00 ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

This is my rifle....

Re: Prospect Update Thread

Lars has been eating his wheaties this week.

2 games, 2 hr

AA line - .327/.403/.531

Stud.

Yamaico Navarro, a 21 year old shortstop with an outstanding glove, is currently sporting a .940 OPS at High-A Lancaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Bowden in relief tonight (Colon started the game): 6.0 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K

This is my rifle....

And another. Kneel before Lars.

How about Josh Papelbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan#1;340608;
    How about Josh Papelbon?
    He is pitching decently considering he's in Lancaster but in reality he has a low chance of making the majors. He's already 25 and only in High-A relying mostly on deception which is probably going to have trouble translating into the higher levels.

I'd also like to bring to attention, 20 year old infielder Yamaico Navarro. In 86 AB for Lancaster he's at .372/.396/.593/.989. Very clearly helped by playing in Lancaster (1.199 OPS at home, .797 OPS away in small sample size) but he's hitting High-A pitching pretty well.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...s.jsp?n=George Kottaras&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=435459

Kottaras is now batting .244, with 21 HR's.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Lars went 1/3 with a double and a walk in game one.
    In game 2 he is 2/2 with two doubles and another walk

This is my rifle....

With tonight's performance thrown in, the MLE of his AA line is .282/.364/.470. An OPS of .834 is good for 12th among all qualified 1B in MLB. He turns 21 in Sept.

Does he crack BA's top-10 (provided he keeps this insane rate up through the end of the year)?

I'm not sure he cracks top 10 probably in part due to being a 1B where offensive production is expected more. He was around top 40 to begin the season and his success at a very young age at advanced levels could land him a spot in the top 10-20.

Deity

Bloop, blast, bloop

Bowden with a nice start today in AAA: 6.0 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

Caleb Clay made his first appearance since he had TJ surgery: 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 BB, 2 K

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;341446;
    With tonight's performance thrown in, the MLE of his AA line is .282/.364/.470. An OPS of .834 is good for 12th among all qualified 1B in MLB. He turns 21 in Sept.

Does he crack BA's top-10 (provided he keeps this insane rate up through the end of the year)?
    Probably not, IMO. Lars will take a slower approach so long as he doesnt explode. Right now, he is right where people expected him to be. I'd say he moves up into the mid 20s or so. When he finally does put it together and start hitting 25HRs in the minors, then he'll crack top 10 and likely be pushing Youk.
    Hal sucks