Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 08-09 Offseason: Minor Moves

08-09 Offseason: Minor Moves

Figure there will be plenty of minor signings (not minor leagues, just not big splashes) that won't deserve their own thread.

The Blue Jays signed Adam Loewen and claimed 2002 #1 overall pick Bryan Bullington off of waivers. Apparently Loewen really wanted to play in Canada, he's Canadian.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...4.wsptjays1024

Legend

Re: 08-09 Offseason: Minor Moves

Loewen is an interesting story, very Rick Ankiel-ish although he's coming off an injury instead of incompetence

I have my doubts. The man has only had 2 professional at bats and is 24

Yeah I'm not really sure how thats going to work out. I thought he could have been a decent pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;364981;
    I have my doubts. The man has only had 2 professional at bats and is 24
    apparently he was drafted as a pitcher, but could also have been a 1st rounder as an OFer. Kinda like Ankiel
    Hal sucks

Angels exercised options on Guerrero and Lackey, declined on Garret Anderson. No surprises. White Sox also signed 2B Jayson Nix.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...tnerId=rss_ana

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10837562

Banned

Did Cashman trade Hughes or Kennedy yet? That would be just above waiver wire.

"Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Fenway Resident

White Sox signed second baseman Jayson Nix, who had been with the Rockies.
    MLB.com confirms the deal, but there's no word on whether it's a major league contract. We're going to assume that it is, since there was absolutely no reason for Nix to sign a minor league deal before the end of October. Nix was gifted with a starting job in Colorado this spring and rewarded the team with a .125 average and two extra-base hits in 56 at-bats. It's doubtful that he'll ever hit enough to hold down a regular job, but he plays a very good second base and he can also fill in at shortstop if necessary. The White Sox may see him as a cheap replacement for Juan Uribe.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Is Jayson Nix related to Laynce? They both have extremely unnecessary y's in their name.

I think so

Fenway Resident

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_fla

The Marlins are closing in on a trade with the Royals

Kansas City- 1B Mike Jacobs
    Florida- RP Leo Nunez

The annual firesale continues of the Marlins trading off players entering their arbitration years. The 2 other Marlins very much likely to be traded are Scott Olsen and closer Kevin Gregg
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Banned

Jacobs for Nunez is official.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

That was fast. Jacobs has some really good power, too bad he can never get on base.

Nunez will probably be Florida's closer next year, if they do deal Gregg.

Ken Griffey Jr and Toby Hall had their options declined by Chicago.