Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watchmen

All-Star

Re: Watchmen

Well I bought GN and read it last night. Keep in mind that I don't read many comics or GN's (I will probably always think of GN's as comics, besides :P ).

The GN version was all right...and the movie does follow it fairly closely except for a few key points, seemed like...but Rorschach was a lot more interesting in the film - on paper he seems flat and dull, but on film w/a good actor the chr. was compelling, sad, amusing, and cringe-inducing. The Oxy-dude and blue-man were better in the GN tho. Anyway...it was interesting but if I hadn't seen the film first I probably would've put the book down half way through...not because it was terrible, but because I find the illustrative & narrative style chosen a bit boring, especially when "interrupted" by long txt-only stuff to provide more background. Distracting when it's supposed to be a GN, imo.

I'd probably like the actual story better in an all-words, novel form.
    The Internet has become nothing more than the new cocaine, and I snort it willingly.

Im sure and actual un-illustrated novel would apease alot of people im not a comic book guy, infact the only comics ive read since i was 12 are the watchmen and V for Vendetta, but I thouroughly enjoyed the watchmen I think it is very thought provoking. but some of it just depends on peoples taste and philosophy is very hard to apease everyone on being that philosophy is at its best contrivesial and disputed.
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Deity

One thing the movie could have done better is play up the significance of what Veidt did. I feel like the GN does a much better job of showing the magnitude of what he ended up doing, you also see much more emotion out of Veidt in the GN.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;458049;
    One thing the movie could have done better is play up the significance of what Veidt did. I feel like the GN does a much better job of showing the magnitude of what he ended up doing, you also see much more emotion out of Veidt in the GN.
    yes, and it doesnt show as much of the characters at the newstand, who while seemingly unimportant, really get you to sympathize with "society" and when you see the boy reading the comic, the man at the news stand and the taxi driver all watching their death coming you feel truly sorry for them.
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Deity

Yeah, definitely watching this again.

Haven't seen it yet. But thinking about giving it a try tonight

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

Saw it, was kinda neutral about it, watched it again the same day to see if it was just me. Not a bad movie by any means, but not really my thing.