Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Suggestion for the league

Banned

Suggestion for the league

This is about Matt Wieters. I wanted to draft him. So did everyone else.

My suggestion is that he should just be ineligible for our league. The league should be about drafting or trading, not who clicks on him first to claim him, if/when he comes up.

What do you think?
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Super Moderator

Re: Suggestion for the league

That's weird. I was just in another draft after ours and Wieters was listed with the catchers.

I think he should go on waivers.

This is my rifle....

We've had similar problems in the past. I wanted to draft Josh Hamilton when he got picked up in the Rule V draft by Cincinnati and tore up ST before his rookie year, but had to wait for Yahoo to add him and got him on waivers. Same year I got Lincecum on waivers later in the year. Thems the breaks.

Banned

That's why I advocate for not having him in our league.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

When he gets called up he'll go on waivers.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;388170;
    That's why I advocate for not having him in our league.
    Why? Carrying your idea of fairness forward, it's not really fair that I had to pick 11th and you got to pick 3rd. Wah, make it fair.

You won't see what I'm saying here because you are so myopic and closed off to ideas that counter your arguments. The point is, there's a degree of luck in where you end up in the draft. As compensation for losing out in the draft, the unlucky are rewarded by being able to pick up players added to the league after the draft first (if they are paying attention).

Realize, I'm not saying this because I think I'll get him. The two in front of me are the type that pay attention, so I expect he'll go to one of them. There are other potential impact players, who are tearing it up in ST this year, who are not available. You need to do the work and ID them, then pay attention, or lose out when they are added. At some point, if you are judicious in when you use waiver claims (you always end up at the back of the line when you use one), you'll be at the front of the line. If you don't do want to do the work of researching the minor leagues, you can always pick up the next Yankee scrub who gets called up from AAA and trade him to 26 for 2 or 3 good players.

Banned

Don't the players who have a chance to get him are the one's on the waiver waire list? In other words, the less active players? I'm a little confused.

^ Not necessarily, waiver position is a strategy. If you know a guy like Wieters is coming, you wait and don't get any waiver players until he comes available.

Banned

ORS is right. With the 3rd pick in the draft, I shouldn't be complaining.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;388182;
    Don't the players who have a chance to get him are the one's on the waiver waire list? In other words, the less active players? I'm a little confused.
    The waiver priority is set by the draft order. 14th pick has 1st in the waiver line, 13th is 2nd, and so on until 1st draft pick is 14th. When a player is on waivers, all can make claims, but only the person with the best waiver position will get him when the waiver date comes up (each players waiver date is next to their name on the list). Each time a successful waiver claim occurs, that person moves to the back of the line (14th waiver position). Your waiver position is on the standings page of the league.

I admit, I was wrong and you realize there is luck inherent in many parts of fantasy sports, so there's nothing really unfair going on. I'll also expand on why I'm against making him unavailable. To be consistent, we'd have to make all additions to the league by Yahoo unavailable, which means none of the minor leaguers who aren't in the league now, some of which are big names and expected to contribute later this year, wouldn't be available either. To me, that is part of the fun of fantasy baseball.