Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gom smackdown

Banned

Re: Gom smackdown

Example...I have never once made the contention of game-calling. Not once. Please go back and re-read my salient points. The very premise of your rebuttal is incorrect.

However, I made the contention of of framing pitches. I also think CERA is a very limited statistic, and only has relevance in comparing catchers on the same team. However, it is a very telling statistic for two catchers on the same team. Comparing CERA between say, Saltalamachia and McCann will yield results that are of no significance. Different leagues, teams, opponents, etc. This is why the stat has not not become mainstream. However, using it to compare two catchers on the same team is a different story. That is the strength in this statistic.

I've already tackled the OPS question. There is no question that Posada brings more offensively, to the tune of about half a run a game. Outside of Mauer, Posada is probably the best hitting catcher in baseball. I have no problem with him AT the plate. However, what he costs behind the plate is nearly 1 run a game, resulting in a net loss of half a run a game. I've shown this.

You say that the Yankees live on the corners. This is not true this season. They Yankees have 3 bonafide strikeout pitchers on their team in CC, Burnett, and Joba, and two in the pen in Rivera and Bruney. That argument doesn't hold water, at least this season.

I don't trust Bill James anywhere near as much as you do. He's a statistician. One of the best in the game. However, statistical analysis of this game has always been nothing more but trial and error. I don't put the blind faith in statistics that a lot here do. Those people are generally too lazy or lack the knowledge of what they see. Using both in conjunction is the best way to go about it. However, this is another topic for another thread.

This is the same guy who predicted a 3.35 ERA for Hughes this year. Japanese managers use CERA to determine their catchers as one of their parameters. Eventually, so will we. In this case, they are ahead of us, but we will catch up. This will happen when someone comes up with a better way to evaluate the effect catchers have on the game. Until then, idiots like Jacko will continue thinking offense is more important at baseballs most important defensive position. The problem with this is that we simply haven't developed a formula yet that can validate it. Until then, we are struck with the limitations of what we CAN quantify easily. Keep in mind, that only recently have we been able to quantify certain things, like line drive percentage, etc. It's only a matter of time until someone much smarter than any of us in mathematics figures something out. Keep in mind, it was only a few short years ago that Moneyball came out, and the premise of that book was OBP, and to hell with defense. Our knowledge of the game changes over time.

I'm still waiting on Jacko's results of 2008 and 2009, by the way. I guess I'll be waiting a long time.

The reality of the matter is that Posada adds about 1-2 runs a week over Molina offensively. The statistics show that. He costs them about the same PER GAME.

No contest Example. None whatsoever.

If we play Posada every game, with his inability to get pitches on the black, especially to teams like the Red Sox, who have patient hitters, we've lost the game before it even begins more than 50% of the time.

The fact remains as follows: In 2008, Molina posted a CERA of 0.91 lower than Posada. Show me how Posada's offense makes up for that. In 2009, it's 4.12 as the difference, and I will acknowledge that the sample size is small enough to be taken into consideration, and I'm willing to work with just the 0.91 of 2008 [of course, our village idiot will go back to claiming 2007, and the two months that Molina was there as the backup...and not realizing that in those two months, Molina's CERA was lower than Posada's, lol].

I'm still waiting Jacko. Show me how Posada's bat makes up the difference.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

what up now bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by CrespoBlows;384744;
    wow castigs, you are really tough.

This issue is tired. It has been amusing, but is now a bore. Let it go Gom and Jacko. It's just not of consequence.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;409843;
    Example...I have never once made the contention of game-calling. Not once. Please go back and re-read my salient points. The very premise of your rebuttal is incorrect.
    Game calling seems a bigger part of allowing or disallowing runs than pitch framing. A pitcher and catcher pick and deliver a pitch hundreds of times a game, in every leverage situation possible. A catcher successfully frames only a few pitches every game, and his framing depends both on the umpire being wrong and the pitcher making a framable pitch that a batter takes.

If game calling between catchers is shown to be statistically elusive, then pitch framing is definitely going to be a hard one to show.

However, I made the contention of of framing pitches. I also think CERA is a very limited statistic, and only has relevance in comparing catchers on the same team.
    It is probably a better comparison on the same team because you control a little bit for that variable as well, but...

I do not like it here, or there.

However, it is a very telling statistic for two catchers on the same team.
    I do not like it anywhere.

This is why the stat has not not become mainstream.
    CERA has been around since 1989. There's been plenty of chance for it to become mainstream. It just isn't a good measurement of a particular catcher's impact because there is too much 'noise' in the data.

I've already tackled the OPS question. There is no question that Posada brings more offensively, to the tune of about half a run a game. Outside of Mauer, Posada is probably the best hitting catcher in baseball. I have no problem with him AT the plate. However, what he costs behind the plate is nearly 1 run a game, resulting in a net loss of half a run a game. I've shown this.
    I don't agree that CERA is a good measure of their value behind the plate. Neither do a lot of other people. Intuitively it doesn't seem right, and you acknowledge yourself that it sucks. It's conclusions are easily misleading.

I don't trust Bill James anywhere near as much as you do. He's a statistician. One of the best in the game. However, statistical analysis of this game has always been nothing more but trial and error.
    I'm not sure what you mean by trial and error. In the sense that statistical analysis has historically come from watching the game and hypothisizing about how something could be measured, I guess it is trial and error; in the same way Chemistry is trial and error. It doesn't mean you don't eventually get something right.

The more variables you control for, and the stronger the correlation across a large sample, the stronger the argument. That's what it is. CERA doesn't usually control for enough variables, because the more variables you control for the lower the sample size, and there isn't much room for reducing sample size.

This will happen when someone comes up with a better way to evaluate the effect catchers have on the game.
    But it won't be someone like Bill James...

Keep in mind, that only recently have we been able to quantify certain things, like line drive percentage, etc. It's only a matter of time until someone much smarter than any of us in mathematics figures something out.
    Is this a scout or a person who does their thinking through trial and error?

Keep in mind, it was only a few short years ago that Moneyball came out, and the premise of that book was OBP, and to hell with defense. Our knowledge of the game changes over time.
    The premise of that book was OBP and to hell with average, IF other teams in the league are undervaluing OBP and overvaluing AVG. If other teams start undervaluing something else--power arms, draft picks, LOOGYS--then those things should be exploited with the goal of attaining a sabermetrically predetermined run differential over the course of a season. That's how teams that are at a financial disadvantage, like the A's, can create successful teams.

People read too much into the OBP stuff if they think that OBP is the crux of Bill James' work or the goal of sabermetrics. It was one strongly supported belief among many.

The fact remains as follows: In 2008, Molina posted a CERA of 0.91 lower than Posada.
    But Posada only had 234 INN. Molina had 3 times that amount.

Show me how Posada's offense makes up for that.

In 2009, it's 4.12 as the difference, and I will acknowledge that the sample size is small enough to be taken into consideration, and I'm willing to work with just the 0.91 of 2008

[of course, our village idiot will go back to claiming 2007, and the two months that Molina was there as the backup...and not realizing that in those two months, Molina's CERA was lower than Posada's, lol].

From what I see, 2007:

Molina, 29 G with NYY, CERA: 13.39 (169 INN)
    Posada, 138 G with NYY, CERA: 4.50 (1111 INN)

Where am I going wrong? :dunno:

Long story short, Posada is the 3rd most valuable player on the Yankees this year according to WARP, and was 2nd in 2007. Molina hasn't cracked a WARP over 2 in his career.

Stupid argument, but I commend your passion. CERA just doesn't cut it for alot of people.

The doc must be in surgery.

"errr...snake a tube down her nose and I'll be with her in, uh, 4 or 5 hours..."
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

I know you and I dont always get along example. But I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe if you tell him, he'll listen. Cause he sure as heck doesnt listen to me when I tell him.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

The reason CERA is such a weak stat is that many teams have the backup catcher play with one particular pitcher, and therefore the catcher's CERA is tied directly to that one pitcher's performance, whether for the good or bad. While Posada wasn't the backup, he only caught a backup's share of games last year, and almost none of their best pitcher, Mussina. That's what makes CERA so misleading. I mean, look at a team like the Sox. Varitek's CERA compared to his backup is dependent on Tim Wakefield and how he pitches, and virtually nothing else. It tells you nothing about how well the other catcher is performing relative to Varitek. Then add in how even the best starters can vary from game to game regardless of who is catching, and when you do get an equal mix you still have such a huge compenent (the pitcher) muddying the waters to a point that the stat is virtually useless.

The framing pitches argument has yet to address what I brought up in a gamethread about missed ball and strike calls. Over the whole league, in other words the average for all pitchers, both good and bad, the OPSAfter difference from 0-1 to 1-0, on the first pitch, is greater than .200. From each count after that, the difference is increased. If framing pitches and getting calls your way was such a repeatable skill, then you'd be able to identify who was good at it through the results. The findings of those attempting to isolate catcher impact on pitchers would not be "immeasureable" or "insignificant", not with that much of a gap after the first pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;410377;
    I know you and I dont always get along example. But I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe if you tell him, he'll listen. Cause he sure as heck doesnt listen to me when I tell him.
    make your picks shit dick
    Quote Originally Posted by CrespoBlows;384744;
    wow castigs, you are really tough.

Banned

Bumped....

Because what this board needs is more GOM SMACKDOWN!
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Forgot how awesome this thread was.