Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowell's Hip "Isn't Any Better"

Re: Lowell's Hip "Isn't Any Better"

Teixeira is not an above average player Dojji. Try to defend all you want, but Tex is an elite level player and you know it. Your rose colored glasses make it hard to see that sometimes. He would have been a substantial improvement over Lowell in both health, defense and offense.

Now in terms of going forward, I think a move was going to be needed even if he proclaimed himself chipper and healthy as his production has taken a nosedive. His OPS per month is as follows:

April .912 OPS
    May .816OPS
    June .607OPS

Not only that, but he isnt walking and his OPS is driven mostly by his power, which was incredibly inflated after the first month and wasnt sustainable based upon his prior career norms. Add to that the fact that he is a statue at 3rd and you have a guy who is detracting from your ballclub. Thing is, if Papi hadnt gotten hot, the fanbase would be all over Lowell right now. But winning takes away that sense of urgency for now. That being said, a lineup with 2 of the trio of Green, Lugo, and Lowrie in it for the long haul would be fricking great from where I am sitting.
    Hal sucks

Derosa

Exactly who I think the sox will target. The price is high right now and there are a few teams who are actually considering him as a middle of the order bat. If they wish to pay the middle of the order premium on talent, then the sox wont get him. If not and the sox want to deal a guy like Doubront or a few further down the road talents, then they certainly can get him. And I would hate to see him in Boston. He reminds me of a better Grafanino and DeRosa always seems to hit us well
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by yankeessuck013;424316;
    Derosa
    Good idea. Really good idea. I wouldn't mind at all if this is what the Sox do. But if you look at the numbers there really isn't much to choose between DeRosa and Teahen. DeRosa does offer more flexibility and a bit more power, but I think I'd take Teahen instead if only because Teahen provides a platoon advantage that makes it easier to convince a guy who's used to playing every game why he should be sitting on the bench.

Jacko: DeRosa a middle of the order bat? Really? I love him as a bench bat but the guy has 20 HR's just once in his career. I just don't see DeRosa continuing this power tear of his much longer. This besides the fact that DeRosa is actually older than Lowell. If the price is that high on DeRosa, I'd definitely rather see the Sox go after Teahen.

Or if they really want to blow the doors down, they could go ahead and trade with the Mariners for Adrian Beltre. his defense and sporadic power would be worth a goodly price, and the Mariners probably wouldn't mind clearing his contract.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;424315;
    Teixeira is not an above average player Dojji. Try to defend all you want, but Tex is an elite level player and you know it. Your rose colored glasses make it hard to see that sometimes. He would have been a substantial improvement over Lowell in both health, defense and offense.

Now in terms of going forward, I think a move was going to be needed even if he proclaimed himself chipper and healthy as his production has taken a nosedive. His OPS per month is as follows:

April .912 OPS
    May .816OPS
    June .607OPS

Not only that, but he isnt walking and his OPS is driven mostly by his power, which was incredibly inflated after the first month and wasnt sustainable based upon his prior career norms. Add to that the fact that he is a statue at 3rd and you have a guy who is detracting from your ballclub. Thing is, if Papi hadnt gotten hot, the fanbase would be all over Lowell right now. But winning takes away that sense of urgency for now. That being said, a lineup with 2 of the trio of Green, Lugo, and Lowrie in it for the long haul would be fricking great from where I am sitting.
    Excellent post, especially the bolded parts.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;424309;
    Because that was my entire argument at any point in the discussion. I know it's the simple path (read: intellectually lazy path) to harp on the weakest part of someone's argument, but Lowell being a competent 3B was only a part of the reason I was content not to get Teixeira. You don't spend that much team resources swapping out an above average player for another above average player.

Having a top prospect 1B close to the big leagues was another part, i notice you tried to skewer me on that as if it was my whole argument too.

Also, i don't think any but the blindest, most delusionally partisan fans on this forum knew that beating the Yankees out for a guy they want at a position they need was a longshot, although a lot of us hoped differently, and hoped very loudly. It all combined to a realization that I'd better get over Teixeira before I even started.
    What was your argument in total for not wanting Teixeira? From my vantage point, it was the following:

1. Lars is almost MLB-ready and will be a large contributor to the team.
    2. Mike Lowell is an above average player and replacing him with Teixeira does little for the team.
    3. Mrs. Teixeira hated Boston so they had no chance to sign him.
    4. The Yankees would always offer more money than the Red Sox and the Sox would never get the last offer anyways.
    5. The Yankees had a position of need and were targeting Teixeira feverishly.

Did I miss anything?

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;424324;
    Or if they really want to blow the doors down, they could go ahead and trade with the Mariners for Adrian Beltre. his defense and sporadic power would be worth a goodly price, and the Mariners probably wouldn't mind clearing his contract.

Beltre would hit like hitting was about to go out of style if he was brought here.

Out of Safeco+Into Fenway+ Red Sox lineup+ Contract Year=.900+ OPS.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity

Beltre is also having surgery for bone spurs, so that's that.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/789767.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;424327;
    What was your argument in total for not wanting Teixeira? From my vantage point, it was the following:

1. Lars is almost MLB-ready and will be a large contributor to the team.
    2. Mike Lowell is an above average player and replacing him with Teixeira does little for the team.
    3. Mrs. Teixeira hated Boston so they had no chance to sign him.
    4. The Yankees would always offer more money than the Red Sox and the Sox would never get the last offer anyways.
    5. The Yankees had a position of need and were targeting Teixeira feverishly.

Did I miss anything?
    Well I never did the Mrs. Teixeira thing. I don't tend to pay attention to that stuff, But the rest of it is pretty accurate. i felt that blunted the value of acquiring a guy like Teixeira to the point that he wasn't worth the money. Frankly I still feel that way. I just didn't want the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;424330;

Pity. Woulda been a good move.

I think the best value as a short term fill-in guy is still Teahen. DeRosa is going to go to a contending team that needs a starter somewhere I think, unless the Yankees go after him to shore up their situation with Alex Rodruiguez. And we have some injury issues looming in right field, trying to look forward, and Teahen can help us with that too.

How is Lars Anderson doing these days?
    Everybody wants a piece of me. Nobody can stomach the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;424330;

It's his contract year, i doubt he gets the surgery until the off-season.

Why the love for Teahan and Beltre

Adrian Beltre had 3 seasons in his career where he put up an .800+OPS. One of them was his ridiculous contract yr. The other two were in 2000 and 2007. He isnt very patient. He's not a ridiculous power guy as he seems to sit in the mid 20s in terms of homers. He doesnt hit for average. What is with the love affair with him? He sounds like a worse Mike Lowell at a bigger cost.

Mark Teahan? Really? He doesnt hit for average. He never developed power. He isnt a good defender. He doesnt have speed. He isnt very patient. There is nothing about him that screams sox 3b.

Regardless, the fact that these guys are being brought up as replacements shows how wrong you were. Tex>>>>anything the sox have at 3b both internally and as trade options. The money argument isnt worth it because they would have saved 10+ mil by dealing Lowell and they were willing to belly up to the table at 170 mil. Plus, they would have increased the value of Youkilis, who really isnt a middle of the order power hitter by moving him to 3b and they would have gotten a franchise 1b in his prime in his 20s.
    Hal sucks

Lol Beltre plays at Safeco.

What, you didn't know ballparks influence power numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;424335;
    Mark Teahan? Really? He doesnt hit for average. He never developed power. He isnt a good defender. He doesnt have speed. He isnt very patient. There is nothing about him that screams sox 3b.
    You're selling Teahen just a bit short, there. He's actually a pretty decent defender at third, and provides good defense and a very good arm as a corner outfielder. Also, other than the one debacle year in 2007 where they kept jerking him around all over the field to make room for Alex Gordon and Jose Guillen, Teahen is not a disaster with the bat and has maintained a good OBP with a bit of base stealing ability. I see Teahen as a very versatile and useful roleplayer and a guy you'd bring in to shore up Lowell rather than replace him, which isn't happening for the life of Lowell's contract at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;424338;
    You're selling Teahen just a bit short, there. He's actually a pretty decent defender at third, and provides good defense and a very good arm as a corner outfielder. Also, other than the one debacle year in 2007 where they kept jerking him around all over the field to make room for Alex Gordon and Jose Guillen, Teahen is not a disaster with the bat and has maintained a good OBP with a bit of base stealing ability. I see Teahen as a very versatile and useful roleplayer and a guy you'd bring in to shore up Lowell rather than replace him, which isn't happening for the life of Lowell's contract at this point.
    This line of thinking would make more sense if Lowrie weren't coming back.

We can't afford a roster spot on a personal caddy for Lowell, since our infield is already crowded as it is.

That is, unless, the Sox decided to eat ALL of Lugo's contract or found some way to ship him to Kansas and provide all of us with a neverending dose of the lulz.