Register now to remove this ad

Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: BEER!

I can't decide who's more insufferable - beer snobs or pizza snobs.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar
    Pizza snobs. Pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. You don't disrespect top 5 greatest food ever.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxfanforlife305 View Post
    I've tried Yeungling, bud light, bud light platinum, miller high life, keystone, natural ice, busch, old milwuakee, pabst, miller lite, steel reserve(this had me on some shit, 4 pack to the face is serious). I can't really knock American beer until I'm 21 is the right answer. The main reason for me trying so much shitty beer is my friends. By choice, I like to get Stella, Heineken, etc. I hate to be a beer snob, but I just don't mess with the cheap beer. Quality over quantity. I understand people want to get cheap beer to save money, use for beer pong, etc. I don't agree with that.
    Heineken and Stella are better than all of the beers you've mentioned, but America still has much better beers than that.

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list...me&sort=rating
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury View Post
    Or people with poor taste in pizza and beer.
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Beer snobs all day long! They are almost as bad as wine snobs.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Any sort of food snob. I can understand ragging on someone for thinking Pizza Hut is awesome or letting someone know that Natural Ice should not be served at a big party if you actually like your guests, but when you insist that I am some sort of terrorist-nazi for daring to enjoy a McDonalds Shamrock Shake when the artisan ice cream place across town makes theirs with freshly grated mint, then fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Trick question. They're both equally undeserving of life.

Hate american beer, but budweiser black crown is pretty good.
    This sort of thing really pisses me off. It is just like judging American food when all you've had is McDonalds. There are I believe now more than 2,500 breweries in the US. While the macro stuff (InBev, which owns Bud/etc, Miller/coors, etc) accounts for a big portion of the beer pie, it's a needle in an ocean of great brewers.

I think beer 'snobery' is just a normal transitional phase for many (though not everyone, but some do seem to never leave the phase...) on their journey of discovering great beer. I'd argue though that just about every countries beer "Image" is just that, an image, not real. Germany has often been considered the home of 'real' beer (lagers), but that's loaded with bullshit (I've never understood what the hell 'real' beer is (besides real ale, the cask conditioned stuff), or what 'beer taste' is). Beer has always been a product with a huge variety of flavors, styles, brewing ingredients & methods, etc. To say it doesn't have a 'beer' taste is to be completely ignorant. Sure, you might not have ever had anything like it, but we need to realize that there is no such thing as a 'beer' taste (which 99% of people think of a pale European lager as what beer should taste like, despite the fact that it's still a relatively new style....). Belgium is a beer mecca, yes, but unfortunately the majority of people there drink stella and crap, just like the average American drinks Bud/etc. Ireland... give me a break. England does have a great pub scene and does have great heritage with classic styles, but they haven't really contributed with innovation the last few decades (not that they need to). The US is simply unparalleled in beer innovation, variety, and quality right now.

I have no idea where you are from, but I'd definitely suggest checking out a local store that focuses on beer (that might require a little research!). Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Some might laugh at someone asking for that hot beer that isn't distributed in a certain state/at all, but it's all in good fun (or should be), kind of an initiation. We've all been there before...

The "Stop Liking What I Don't Like" thing has gone way too far the last couple years. By all means, expound on the awfulness of Nickelback or Keystone Light or Burger King's fries or boxed wine, but there are limits that are constantly exceeded.
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Trick question. They're both equally undeserving of life.
    What's wrong with being someone who appreciates craft and quality? My preferences for good beer are no different than my preferences for quality in other aspects of life: food, activities, education, furniture, construction, etc. Quality to me is extremely import (far more than quantity) and I feel that the importance of quality products is becoming an afterthought now a days. I'm not suggesting that everyone should spend $20 on a gourmet pizza or $40 on a bottle of beer, or $2000 on a American made sofa, or buy a solid wood desk that will last a century and not fall apart after a month like a cheap Walmart brand. I simply don't thing it's wrong for people to be vocal about their preference...

With food though, part of the problem is definitely that people are becoming either too lazy or too busy to cook for themselves at all....

The "Stop Liking What I Don't Like" thing has gone way too far the last couple years. By all means, expound on the awfulness of Nickelback or Keystone Light or Burger King's fries or boxed wine, but there are limits that are constantly exceeded.
    With beer, I think the biggest problem (and the reason so many beer 'geeks' are vocal) is the lack of knowledge. 95% of Americans have NO idea about what beer is, has no clue the actual history, or even the huge market selection that's likely right down the street from them. Companies like Inbev and Millercoors PURPOSELY try to confuse consumers and keep their consumer base completely uneducated about beer. I don't much care for that.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101 View Post
    This sort of thing really pisses me off. It is just like judging American food when all you've had is McDonalds. There are I believe now more than 2,500 breweries in the US. While the macro stuff (InBev, which owns Bud/etc, Miller/coors, etc) accounts for a big portion of the beer pie, it's a needle in an ocean of great brewers.

I think beer 'snobery' is just a normal transitional phase for many (though not everyone, but some do seem to never leave the phase...) on their journey of discovering great beer. I'd argue though that just about every countries beer "Image" is just that, an image, not real. Germany has often been considered the home of 'real' beer (lagers), but that's loaded with bullshit (I've never understood what the hell 'real' beer is (besides real ale, the cask conditioned stuff), or what 'beer taste' is). Beer has always been a product with a huge variety of flavors, styles, brewing ingredients & methods, etc. To say it doesn't have a 'beer' taste is to be completely ignorant. Sure, you might not have ever had anything like it, but we need to realize that there is no such thing as a 'beer' taste (which 99% of people think of a pale European lager as what beer should taste like, despite the fact that it's still a relatively new style....). Belgium is a beer mecca, yes, but unfortunately the majority of people there drink stella and crap, just like the average American drinks Bud/etc. Ireland... give me a break. England does have a great pub scene and does have great heritage with classic styles, but they haven't really contributed with innovation the last few decades (not that they need to). The US is simply unparalleled in beer innovation, variety, and quality right now.

I have no idea where you are from, but I'd definitely suggest checking out a local store that focuses on beer (that might require a little research!). Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Some might laugh at someone asking for that hot beer that isn't distributed in a certain state/at all, but it's all in good fun (or should be), kind of an initiation. We've all been there before...
    To be honest, I really do not give two shits whether it pisses you off or not. I already explain my reason for not liking American beer. Everyone else understood why and I already admitted to MVP his word holds more value than mine. From what I drank that's American, I don't like. I didn't just drink one type, I drank multiple. Sorry if my taste buds aren't the same as yours.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

But if someone likes the beer they're drinking, you can try to encourage them to try other kinds, but doing it by telling them "that beer sucks and you should feel like an idiot for even thinking about drinking it" is the attitude too many "beer snobs" have. Foodies have the same problem.

To be honest, I really do not give two shits whether it pisses you off or not. I already explain my reason for not liking American beer. Everyone else understood why and I already admitted to MVP his word holds more value than mine. From what I drank that's American, I don't like. I didn't just drink one type, I drank multiple. Sorry if my taste buds aren't the same as yours.
    You did the equivalent of sampling different American fast food then saying American food sucks. You tried the absolute bottom of the barrel, of course you weren't impressed. Would you base your opinion of Belgian beer off Stella (probably, but that would be overlooking 99.99% of the beer produced in that country, and certainly all of the real crafted beer that you don't see advertised).

Just think about this: All the breweries and restaurants you see commercial for a the giant mega corporations that are concerned with share values, not providing the best quality products. Sam Adams is the ONLY brewery that I'd consider any good that advertises on TV. When's the last time you saw a good steak house commercial on TV...

When judging something, you HAVE to take a varied sample space.

But if someone likes the beer they're drinking, you can try to encourage them to try other kinds, but doing it by telling them "that beer sucks and you should feel like an idiot for even thinking about drinking it" is the attitude too many "beer snobs" have. Foodies have the same problem.
    My problem is exactly his response. He only tried the absolute worst of what this country has to offer and claims that American beer is shit.

I have NO problem with someone if they actually like the taste of Budweiser/whatever. HOWEVER, I know a LOT of people (many of which I've converted to varying degrees into craft drinkers) who either didn't really like macro beer but didn't know anything less or liked Macro but were shocked when I pulled back the curtain and showed them just what is actually available. I have no problem if someone doesn't like stouts, or lambics, or whatever. I just hate when companies (and even the culture) delude people. Beer has a RICH culture and history, it isn't just pale adjunct lagers.